Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another piercing bump thread - I'm sorry!

Default Yet another piercing bump thread - I'm sorry!

Hey all, thanks for clicking on this post! I really didn’t want to bother anybody on here, especially as this is a problem that many others have posted about before and it must be getting tedious now. However, I have no idea what else to do and so I thought I'd make a post to get your guys' ideas

I’ve got the dreaded bump on my lip piercing and I’ve had it for quite a while now. It’s pretty huge, raised quite high above the skin and it’s very rough – feels more like a scab than skin. (I have no idea if it's a keloid or a hypertrophic scar, but after reading Spike's post I guess it must be a hypertrophic scar). I’ve tried saline soaks, camomile soaks and compresses, aspirin paste and tea tree oil (in hinds sight I shouldn’t have used the last two but I didn’t know it was bad at the time). Nonetheless, none of these seem to be working, it’s still this angry lump that just won’t go away. There is also a lump on the inside of my mouth right next to the whole. It's not particularly visible when you look at it from the outside but it's very noticeable when I feel it with my tongue.

I got it pierced 3 months and 1 week ago and recently got it changed to a ring (about a week before the bump arrived). It’s a titanium hinged ring which I ordered from piercedandmodified. I thought changing back to a stud would help but I couldn’t fit the stud back in (my lip has gotten used to the curved shape of the ring which made it near impossible to get that straight bar through). In the past week I’ve gone with the method of leaving it the hell alone, with just doing saline soaks in the morning and at night and an occasional chamomile compress. However, this doesn’t appear to be doing anything. I wasn’t expecting it to go in a week but maybe just a bit of progress >.<

I should also mention that some blood and puss (it’s yellowy-whitey) comes out of the piercing too and I find myself with large crusties every few hours which is strange as they stopped a while ago and only started recently again. I don’t particularly want to go back to my local piercer as they seem to give a lot of advice that this forum says you shouldn’t do when it comes to piercings (they’re more of a tattoo shop). I’m running out of hope, can anyone offer me their two cents? It would mean the world to me as it’s really getting me down at the moment :(

Nonetheless, I appreciate you reading this
    Last edited by cloud 9; 06-08-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Was the bar too long?
    Did you get it downsized during the healing process?
    What was the bar made from?
    Did you have any other issues when healing?
    Can you post a photo of the scarring?

3 months is on the early side of full healing for a lip piercing. It doesn't sound to me like it was fully healed and you've caused irritation by putting a curved piece of jewellery in which has irritated the fistula and created the scarring. It's possible that it may stay for a while due to the jewellery and the healing being set back because of the change. You may also want to make sure that it's implant grade titanium as there are lower grades which aren't great for healing.

I'd be tempted to say go see an excellent piercer, get them to fit you with an appropriately sized labret bar (or check the ring is ok) and just wait it out. H-scars are caused usually by irritation, remove the irritation or wait for it to settle and you'll find the scarring will go as well.

Click on the Recommended Piercers link in my sig and find someone decent.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'll upload the photos now

Wow, what a fantastically fast response! Thanks!

When I first got it pierced, the bar was fine until about 4 weeks in when my lip started to swell causing the bar to become too short. This caused my lip to heal over the bar (in the inside of my mouth) so I got it switched to a longer bar and the swelling went away over night. I left that in for around a month or so before switching to the ring. The bar I had in before the ring was "high polished titanium", which is all that I could find out about the jewellery.

By the way, this is the ring I bought - http://www.piercedandmodified.co.uk/...show-7102.html - there's not much information on it unfortunately.

Photo wise I uploaded 3, I hope they're focused enough - I can always take more - (I don't have enough posts yet to post them on here)
    http://i.imgur .com/9Ygb8nE.jpg
    http://i.imgur .com/78epvVh.jpg
    http://i.imgur .com/AfZYCZ0.jpg

So do you think that switching to a high quality titanium bar should help remove the irritation?

Once again, thank you so much for the fast response!

The ring looks like it's possibly causing pressure. It happens a lot of the time when you want the look of a snug ring but it causes pressure and a larger ring would start hitting your teeth etc. Go see a good piercer, get a good quality ti bar fitted and leave it be for a good 3 months or so. The ring is probably a low grade piece so won't be helping much.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Oh okay, thanks for the advice! I guess I'll get it changed once I have some free time again. But 3 months?! That's so long, for some people they get rid of there's in days - it's not fair! Haha

I've been taking a few baths in the past few weeks. Is this bad for my piercing and the bump?

Do you have any tips for stopping the puss and blood from coming out during the day? It's really gross and ugly quite frankly

Thanks for helping me, I really appreciate it! (And to anyone else if they wish to offer their two cents as well!)

3 months is initial healing for a lip piercing so it's best to just let it heal in that time. Baths are fine. The lymph/blood will stop eventually and will settle a lot with a bar in.

You're welcome!

Hey again! I did exactly what you said and it disappeared! However, a new bump has formed above the piercing but it looks different this time. It has a sort of yellow top, similar to that of a pimple. Do you (Hazel) or anybody else have any idea on what it is and how to get rid of it? Sea salt soaks don't appear to be working and it's just getting worse :/ it doesn't hurt, it's not rough but instead it's soft. Although the picture looks like I have a tight bar in, that's not the case. I actually have a lot space and can see a lot of the bar where I smile as it pushes the piercing out, so it can't be that. Thanks for reading

http://i.imgur.com/Nnl7Abc.jpg
    Last edited by cloud 9; 07-24-2016 at 08:55 PM.

I'm having the same issue with my philtrum piercing although it's not as large as that, I had to downsize the end and upsize the bar which has helped a little but it keeps coming back. Waiting on some Neosporin to come in the post so I can try that just in case it's a mild skin infection.

You may want to try an antibiotic cream/gel, see if that helps any.

Thanks for the speedy response once again! I'll get on buying some Neosporin, hopefully it will help somewhat - although, a lot of people online say that this product is really bad and people should stay away from it? Hope it helps you either way! Let me know how it goes
    Last edited by cloud 9; 07-25-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast