Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get my nose pierced when I have problems with cartilage (ear) piercings?

Default Should I get my nose pierced when I have problems with cartilage (ear) piercings?

The title basically says it all!

I have had a few cartilage (ear) piercings in the past, many years ago, and I've always wanted my nose pierced but I have only successfully got to the completely healed stage with ONE tragus piercing. With ALL my other ear cartilage piercings I have had to give up on (after years I hasten to add) - none of them got infected or any major bumps or lumps or anything, just constantly painful and clearly not healed - I don't give up easily, I mean I gave some 3+ years before just giving up on them and taken them out. I'm great at the after care (but equally I don't over-do it either), all my other piercings I haven't had a bat of bother with really, so it seems to just be a cartilage problem for me

Has anyone else had direct experience of problems with ear cartilage piercings but gone on to have success with a nose piercing?

I'm a bit more of a wimp now than I was in my younger years so I think I'm just a bit scared to try whereas once upon a time I'd have just gone for it!

So just wanting peoples opinions, thoughts, experiences, etc, for those who seemingly repeatedly struggle with ear cartilage piercings

What material did you try and heal with in your ears?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I had them all done with titanium - but this applies to my other body piercings that I've had over the years - all of which have been fine except for those around the cartilage areas of my ears. My tragus is great but that took a good 2-3 years to finally settle down. Like I say, none have ever got infected or looked really bad, to the outside person looking in it would look like they've all been fine but they've all hurt for years and years and felt bruised (for lack of a better way of describing them).

I seem to be sensitive to silver jewellery in my ears (this includes my ear lobes that were pierced when I was about 12) - so I no longer wear any silver/sterling silver earrings (although I can happily wear silver rings, necklaces, etc without any reaction at all).... but my other piercings were definitely titanium initial BCR's/barbells (tried both over the years in various piercings). So I don't *think* it comes down to the material used, it just seems like my body doesn't like cartilage piercings. Hence my worry about getting my nostril done... but equally its a totally different part of my body! Agghh what to do!!

To be fair, no one can say what's going to happen. I've had my right nostril pierced twice, one time it was a nightmare and I retired it, the time after it was angelic. Same piercer, same style, needle type, jewellery, everything. Healing was worlds apart.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Yeah good point, I've had my labret done twice (lost it the first time as I inconveniently(!) got offered a job I couldn't turn down so I lost my first one - but it was fabulous!) Had it done again 9 or so years later but it was nothing but trouble.

I think it is because I have heard repeatedly from people who seem to either be able to successfully heal cartilage piercings without much trouble versus those, like me, who seem to really struggle - BUT I don't know anyone who has then tried to go on to having a nose piercing so I could compare their cartilage in a totally different part of the body type healing experience.

You could compare yourself to everyone in the world who has had it go ok only to find it won't go well on you.

There's only one way to find out.

It will vary from person to person but thought I'd add my experience anyways!

I've had a 4 cartilage piercings, 3 are 3years old and I've had constant trouble with them one way or another. The most recent (my rook) is only a few months old, but has so far been okay!

I got my nostril pierced on the same day as my tragus 3 years ago, and while I had initial problems due to poor jewelry size, as soon as that was fixed it settled super fast,. It's my most well behaved piercing for sure. It's the only one I can tug on without feeling anything, the others would still feel sore after all this time and a tug/pull would probably cause them to flare up for a week or so.

I would 100% recommend getting it pierced with a labret and stay well clear of nostril screws to avoid the problems I had!
    Last edited by ~Nox~; 05-25-2016 at 11:50 PM.
    Hai, I'm Nox!!

Current; L&R Firsts @ 1.6mm, L&R Seconds @ 1.2mm L&R Low Auricles, R Tragus, R Nostril, L Rook
    Researching & Planning; R Daith, R Faux Rook, L Nostril, L Inner Conch,
    L Side Labret, L&R 5mm firsts
    Retired; Central Labret, 4 Standard Lobes, Naval, 4mm Seconds

Yeah Neometal labrets are great for healing and just in general.

I've had 19 cartilage piercings, the worst taking almost a year just to stop being angry/sore etc and about another year to feel fully settled to ones feeling healed within a few weeks and everything inbetween.

Thanks you two.... interesting point about the type of jewellery to put in too - as I've never had my nostril done I'm open to all suggestions. I have just quickly googled Neometal and I see its a US based company that only supply to wholesale - I'm presuming therefore only bigger piercing companies are likely to stock these?

I will certainly look out for this though and so from what you're saying it sounds like labret jewellery is better than nostril strews.... this sits well with me because I like labret/barbell type jewellery sits well with me so I'm happy about that. And I wouldn't want a ring in my nostril either

Like you say Hazel, I suppose there is only one way to find out! Right this minute I'm communicating with a local piercer on facebook asking her lots of questions haha :-D I'll let you know if I go and get it done haha! Aggghhh!

Ask your piercer if they will order a Neometal piece in for you. That's mainly who companies sell to, piercers

Mine has lots of Neometal in stock but will order in whatever I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast