Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Time Is Now! My First Tat.

Smile The Time Is Now! My First Tat.

I had to share it. I am getting my very first tat on Wednesday. I'm a little nervous. A little scared. But, I'm 40 and it's about damn time I did this. I've wanted one since I was in my teens. Anyway, any advice from you experienced folks? I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, but my sugars are well controlled and I'm not on insulin.

I've had a child naturally so I'm thinking if I can handle that, a tat won't be a problem. Am I right?

As far as healing, what's the suggestion? How do you wash your hair or face or anything after you get a tat? I'm getting mine on my right wrist.

Any advice, experiences, and general info would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Current: 2 standard lobes, R nostril (I'm just getting started).
    Tattoos: Left forearm, Right outer bicep, Left outer bicep
    Future: more, more, more.

Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar

Some tips!

Eat before you go, the tattoo will be a bit of a shock to your body so it'll be good to have your sugar levels up. Try not to be too anxious since that doesn't help, I know it isn't easy but you can do it!

Afterwards, keep the cling wrap for a few hours afterwards, then wash with as-warm-as-you-can-stand-it water and very mild unscented soap, gentle movements, until the plasma goo is all off. Then I personally pat dry with some paper towel since they're one-use-only, and apply a small amunt of Fucidin (the orange one), but generally I think that Bepanthen is most preferred.

Again, personally I washed mine for about 2 days when I got up and before I went to bed in the evening, and several times during the day. After about a week, I switch to a lotion, Cetaphil to be specific. Don't use too much or you'll get some very annoying pimples, which is a mistake I made. Mine took about 15-20 days to fully heal!

Also, showering is fine, baths are not, as in "new tattoos can't be submerged in water" I don't know if any of this is of help to you, but I hope it is!
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

RIP: right nostril, navel

Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

Just a tip with Bepanthen... I use it for the first 3 or 4 days and then switch to moisturiser. Some people don't like it because it's very thick. Must make sure you rub it in fully. If you start getting scabs whilst using it, I would stop as the effort of rubbing it in may aggravate and pull away the scabs.

Also, scabs. If you do scab, don't pick them as it can pull out the ink and leave a patchy tattoo. Generally I believe scabs happen when the tattoo hasn't been cleaned properly of any plasma on the first day. Hopefully you won't scab, but if you do, don't panic.

Personally I used raw coconut oil for a few days on my most recent tattoo and I really liked it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely something I will continue to utilise with future tattoos.

Getting it wet is fine, as you are supposed to keep it clean. Just not submerged for long periods of time. Showering and doing stuff like washing up should be fine.

Healing time is probably varying between people. Personally mine felt superficially healed after about 10 or 11 days.
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDreamer22 View Post
    Some tips!

Eat before you go, the tattoo will be a bit of a shock to your body so it'll be good to have your sugar levels up. Try not to be too anxious since that doesn't help, I know it isn't easy but you can do it!

Afterwards, keep the cling wrap for a few hours afterwards, then wash with as-warm-as-you-can-stand-it water and very mild unscented soap, gentle movements, until the plasma goo is all off. Then I personally pat dry with some paper towel since they're one-use-only, and apply a small amunt of Fucidin (the orange one), but generally I think that Bepanthen is most preferred.

Again, personally I washed mine for about 2 days when I got up and before I went to bed in the evening, and several times during the day. After about a week, I switch to a lotion, Cetaphil to be specific. Don't use too much or you'll get some very annoying pimples, which is a mistake I made. Mine took about 15-20 days to fully heal!

Also, showering is fine, baths are not, as in "new tattoos can't be submerged in water" I don't know if any of this is of help to you, but I hope it is!
    Thank you so much!!! I hope I don't run into problems. My nose piercing is still healing (7 weeks next week). I thought about waiting to get inked but it's warm here so I wouldn't have to worry about clothing rubbing against it.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    Just a tip with Bepanthen... I use it for the first 3 or 4 days and then switch to moisturiser. Some people don't like it because it's very thick. Must make sure you rub it in fully. If you start getting scabs whilst using it, I would stop as the effort of rubbing it in may aggravate and pull away the scabs.

Also, scabs. If you do scab, don't pick them as it can pull out the ink and leave a patchy tattoo. Generally I believe scabs happen when the tattoo hasn't been cleaned properly of any plasma on the first day. Hopefully you won't scab, but if you do, don't panic.

Personally I used raw coconut oil for a few days on my most recent tattoo and I really liked it. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely something I will continue to utilise with future tattoos.

Getting it wet is fine, as you are supposed to keep it clean. Just not submerged for long periods of time. Showering and doing stuff like washing up should be fine.

Healing time is probably varying between people. Personally mine felt superficially healed after about 10 or 11 days.
    I use Dr. Bronner's baby soap (diluted), so hopefully that is okay. I really appreciate the advice.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

This thread may be of use to you: https://forum.bodyjewelleryshop.com/...attoo-s-Thread

Also your artist should go over specific aftercare with you verbally and give you some info in writing ideally but all of the above are good ideas. I use bepanthen (not sure you can get it in the states) for around 3 days then switch to a simple moisturiser or plain oil like coconut or emu. Think I've posted my entire regieme before on this section somewhere but dunno where it is.

You'll also find what works great for one person doesn't work well for someone else, we're all different. A few years back a friend of mine recommended a gel to me for healing and it irritated the hell out of my skin whereas it soothed hers!

Anything you're considering trying, test it on your skin before getting the tattoo.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    This thread may be of use to you: https://forum.bodyjewelleryshop.com/...attoo-s-Thread

Also your artist should go over specific aftercare with you verbally and give you some info in writing ideally but all of the above are good ideas. I use bepanthen (not sure you can get it in the states) for around 3 days then switch to a simple moisturiser or plain oil like coconut or emu. Think I've posted my entire regieme before on this section somewhere but dunno where it is.

You'll also find what works great for one person doesn't work well for someone else, we're all different. A few years back a friend of mine recommended a gel to me for healing and it irritated the hell out of my skin whereas it soothed hers!

Anything you're considering trying, test it on your skin before getting the tattoo.

Thank you so very much Hazel. I looked up the artist's aftercare on his website. Very simple and very easy to understand. I guess we will see what happens Wednesday.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Yay! Hope it goes really well for you, who is tattooing you?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Teb - I'm in the same position as you - getting mine Thursday!

I'm 33. Like you I've wanted this for a long, long time but I'm a perfectionist and if I think any longer about it or the placement I'm going to go batty. I want a kanji symbol and a hello kitty head. I know many folk will think how naff, but I've been into Japanese stuff for years and years. Anyway. I toy between the kanji on my lower back or stomach, low down. The HK head will be on my ankle, about 1/2 inches above the bone. I did toy with the idea of the HK on my stomach instead of the kanji but at the same time I am considering the back and ankle because I know these aren't body parts that will change much over time.

Now I am getting paranoid as to whether the stencil they place on the body will be exactly what you get. I know it sounds nuts. But I've seen a lot of crap hello kitty heads that look drawn on sort of 'fake'. At the same time I don't want to piss the artist off asking about placement and stuff. Argh!

I've already bought the nappy cream. I am totally shitting myself though!! By the way, this is my first post here, but I've been a lurker for a while. Hazel I see you give wonderful advice - and sound lovely too. Do you have any suggestions about placement decisions?

Billie

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Yay! Hope it goes really well for you, who is tattooing you?

An artist in Chillicothe, Ohio. I went there for my piercing and they are awesome!
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast