Thread: Dear Diary... "The Battle of the Bump"

Talking Dear Diary... "The Battle of the Bump"

Howdy ya'll. I am new to this entire site, but I wanted to share my experience in hopes that someone out there can be helped. I am a Type 2 diabetic and have been since July 2001. I am not on shots, just meds and I watch EVERYTHING I eat.

With that in mind, I got my first nostril piercing (left) in 2008. It didn't heal up right and the "bump" appeared. The piercer was less than friendly and didn't give me any advice on what to do with it. So, I tried again in 2009 (right). Same thing happened and the different piercer was even less helpful. I gave up. I was pretty heavy at that time, my sugars were out of control, and I figured I would never be able to do anything with piercings or tattoos. However, I got control of myself, lost a lot of weight, started eating like I should, and noticed my body reset itself. I was sick a lot less and my overall health improved.

I have never wandered from the desire of nose piercing. I am pretty sure it has something to do with a past life (yes, I'm strange and practice various ancient religions). I decided to go for it again in Fall 2015. Left nostril, and the jewelry was far too long. I had it changed out by a professional at 3 weeks. I know, too soon. The "bump" appeared again. I took it out because I was angry, regretted it, when to see my doctor, she told me to go again, and I did in November. Same issue. The damn bump. It always hurt and burned.

So, because I apparently love having a needle shoved through my nose, I went for it again in April. I turned 40 and I thought, "It's now or never!" I went with one of my students to THE best establishment in my area. Prior to that, I contact the piercer. He talked to me about all of the things that happened and told me he used implant grade titanium. He gave me the website for the jewelry and link so I could do my own research because that's just how I roll. After realizing he was honest and after talking to others about him, I went for it. Right side, Neometal brand, threadless titanium.

At week 5 that bump started to rear it's ugly little head. My skin was burning again, but I know now that is normal for healing and skin regeneration. My piercer had me doing Saline Wound Wash and warm showers. That was it. However, because of my Diabetes I knew I needed more help with healing. So I added Sea Salt Soaks in place of Wound Wash after a few weeks.

Here's an aside. At week 2, I noticed that I felt like something was stabbing my nose. It was crusties because of the "LITHA" philosophy. So I started touching it more with a cutip to clean away the residue. Then at Week 3, after SSS, I noticed cotton wrapped around my post (ouch!) and realized I needed to switch to using sterile gauze.

Week 4 was uneventful and when week 5 rolled around, that's when it happened. THE BUMP! I tried Emu Oil. My piercing hated it and the bump got MUCH worse.

I contacted Cory (my guy) and he told me to use Chamomile Tea compresses. I also browsed this site and saw where folks had said that by simply not touching or messing with the piercing the bump faded. So, I employed both of those methods. Using Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap (Baby/Gentle) on my face for general cleaning, along with the Chamomile Tea compresses twice a day for about 5 to 7 minutes, stopped cleaning under the jewelry (only dabbing the surface with a cutip to dry up any water after showering), the bumps isn't even visible.

I'm at week 6. This is the longest I have EVER been able to keep a nose piercing. I am hopeful. This site has helped me so much. That's why I wanted to join.

I hope this post helps someone out there who may be dealing with similar issues. There is a cure. You just have to figure out what is causing your piercing to be angry and which method of care your body likes best. Some folks respond to Emu Oil. Others to Tea Tree. Others to simply SSS. For me it was the Chamomile Tea. My fingers are still crossed. I have given myself 14 weeks to heal and then I'm getting inked.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Current: 2 standard lobes, R nostril (I'm just getting started).
    Tattoos: Left forearm, Right outer bicep, Left outer bicep
    Future: more, more, more.

Congratulations and happy healing ( and I'm with you on the ancient religions bit so you're not the only one with piercings for rather unusual reasons!)
    Caro

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsoup View Post
    Congratulations and happy healing ( and I'm with you on the ancient religions bit so you're not the only one with piercings for rather unusual reasons!)
    Thanks so much! ❤️
    Hi, I'm Tracy

I'll definitely try the chamomile compresses on my bump. I'm trying to figure out how to get them on my daith though...

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Doesn't Tell View Post
    I'll definitely try the chamomile compresses on my bump. I'm trying to figure out how to get them on my daith though...
    I wish I could help with that. I just don't any experience there.
    Hi, I'm Tracy

Make the chamomile tea as normal and soak some non-woven gauze in it, then hold it on your piercings. Make sure it's not so hot to scald you.

Make a cup, wait for it to cool a bit, place it on the side, stick your ear in and wait until your neck gets uncomfy! Or hold the teabag on.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.