Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industrial piercing: Does it even "work"?

Default Industrial piercing: Does it even "work"?

Hi y'all!
    Back in december last year I got an industrial piercing, which I recently removed because of the swelling and hypertrophic scarring (even though I was cleaning it daily, doing salt water soaks, rarely ever touched it, etc etc). Right now I got two small bumps on my ear where the bar used to be.
    I was planning on getting one again a few months from now, after the scars are gone (will they even go away though?). This time I'd take some more care such as getting an undercut first (so that not much hair would go around it), try my best not to sleep on my ear, use titanium jewellery, do more water soaks, etc. But the thing is, literally every person I've seen on the internet with an industrial piercing seems to have the same problems I did before (bumps, scars, swelling, never ending healing...) and it gives me the impression that these things are absolutely inevitable when getting an industrial piercing. I know that ear cartilage piercings are pretty risky and very hard to take care of in the first place, but I'd like to know, is it even possible to have an industrial piercing without getting any irritation or bumps, or at least no hypertrophic/keloid scars? I know that in the first few days the ear naturally gets swollen and the cartilage hurts, but aside from that, can it have a peaceful healing and never give you trouble, just like a septum piercing for example? (When I got my septum done it hurt for a few days but the healing was fine and it never gave me any more trouble).
    If the chances of getting bumps/hypertrophic scars again are too high then I won't even bother getting it pierced again. :(
    Anyways, thanks in advance!

Septums and cartilage are like chalk and cheese. A septum piercing can heal in 3 months, cartilage can take over a year and industrials can take longer. If you had yours done in December, then it would be nowhere near healed by now and irritation, swelling and hypertrophic scarring are not unusual at that stage.

Firstly at three months you shouldn't really need to soak it every day. Just the first couple of weeks then you can rinse it in the shower. Cleaning it can irritate it.

Were you using the correct ratio of salt to water? 1/4 teaspoon of salt to one cup of water? Also were you rinsing it with clear water afterwards? Doing both of these wrong could irritate a piercing.

Lastly, cartilage piercings need patience and can be temperamental for months. That's not to say that there aren't some people that have no trouble at all. Industrials, though, are known to be difficult healers.
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

I can honestly say my industrial piercing was one of the easiest to heal. I only really ever got a bump on the top hole as my hair frequently got caught round it. Mine settled down around the 5 month mark and I've never had a problem with it since, no migration, bumps, anything.

Everyone heals differently and not everyone is suited to a "typical" industrial.
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

I've been very lucky with my cartilage piercings. Out of the 8 I had done last year, (spaced out so I wasn't healing too many in one go), only one helix piercing has been a bother and hopefully now that has settled down too. But we're all different, our healing times vary, so does scarring, etc.

One thing I've learned, as Sassi says, is that over cleaning it can irritate the piercing. The LITHA method helps tremendously. You may just take longer than others to heal a piercing like that and cartilage piercings are notorious for taking a long time to heal. As Sweetpea said, not everyone is suitable for the industrial either. I really wanted an upper conch in each ear but my cartilage curls too much at the top so I can't have them. Have a chat to your piercer, they may have some ideas for you to try.
    Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Retired......3rd piercings on right and left lobe.
    Rejected......navel piercing
    Now the proud owner of both a left and right tragus piercing.
    Left conch.
    Looking forward to some more Neometal and Industrial Strength earrings.

Industrials are indeed known to be a pain in the ass for healing. But as mrslovelace already said, the LITHA method helps well with them. Just let it heal on its own, and be patient! I have three industrial know, the third one I got last week. The first two also have bumps around the holes. The third one doesn't have any bumps yet, as I suspect it will be getting a few in the next month or so.
    As for if they ever go away? Yes they will. But it needs time. Worst case scenario it can take over a year for your body to break down those bumps/scars. But they will go away eventually. Just be patient. One of the bumps on my first industrial has gone down a lot already and that took around 4 months or so to be noticeable that it went down.

And yes three months are still early stages for an industrial. Healing time for them is usually around 9-12 months but can take longer in some cases. Everyone heals differently and some take longer than others.
    Hey I'm Patrick. Or call me Chris, both are fine.
    Current piercings: ~ Septum 5 mm ~ Philtrum 7 mm ~ Snakebites 1,6 mm ~ Tongue 14g x 6, 2 mm x 2, 4 mm x 1
    ~ Snake eyes 14g x 2 ~ Smiley 16g ~ Frowny 16g ~ Industrial (1xL + 2xR) 14g ~ 8 mm conch punch ~ Helix R 14g

Tattoos: Really lost the count by now..
    Want:
    Tattoos; Two half sleeves and a huge back piece and chest piece.
    Piercings; Left industrial. Eyebrow

I'd be interested to see your ear with and without the piercing.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks everyone! I guess one factor is that I did some pretty poor research before getting the industrial (kinda disappointed in myself since I was so careful with my previous piercings) and had no idea it was so hard to heal, so at the first sign of bumps around it I already started freaking out. Now I wish I had endured a bit more, but my piercer told me to take it off since it was getting ugly and I couldn't object. Another piercer told me she might have hit some blood vessel when piercing me, so that may have contributed to what happened.
    Had to think a bit to realize what the LITHA method was lol. Now looking back I think I also made the mistake of overcleaning it. My piercer told me to wash it with antibacterial soap, do one water soak and clean it about three times with antisseptical solutions daily, and so I did these almost everyday. Constantly messed with the little fella, no wonder it got irritated.
    Oh, also I don't know if that's true, but I always had the impression that the jewellery was a bit too small. (It looked like it fit just "perfectly" - both ends were touching my ear).
    One thing I know for sure - I won't be getting pierced again by that same person. The guy that did my previous ones is really good and I regret not getting the industrial with him just because he charged a little bit more hahaha.
    Did anyone get their ear repierced even with bumps still there? Would that be safe?

Wait for the bumps to go first.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hazel - the forum won't let me post links. Is it possible for me to send you the pics through pm?

I don't answer personal PM's anymore sorry, you can post now though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast