Thread: Infected Conch or Jewellery Issue??

Default Infected Conch or Jewellery Issue??

I had a double conch done around 5/6 years ago now. Anyone who has their conch pierced, will surely agree with me that the conch healing process is a painful and long one. The first year was an absolute nightmare, however, for the past 3/4 years or so I have had no problems at all with it.

A couple of weeks ago I got a new piercing in my other ear and decided to change the jewellery in my double conch. I changed my 1.6 titanium labret studs for a 1.6 bioplast stud and a 1.6 x 14mm Gold Plated titanium BCR. The stud has been perfectly fine but I found sleeping on the BCR has irritated my ear! I thought it might have been the positioning so swapped the BCR and stud around, but now my top piercing is just as irritated. Currently I'm finding it easier to sleep on my 2 week old helix piercing than I am my 5 year old conch in the other ear.

Today, I noticed that my BCR was dirty and crusty. After taking a closer look it appears that my top conch piercing (with the BCR) is weeping a white liquid. There isn't loads, my ear isn't swollen, no lumps/bumps either just very painful to touch :(

Can anyone give me any insight into this? Has the new jewellery caused my piercing to become infected? Could it be that I just shouldn't wear a ring and resort back to a stud? Has anyone else had this issue?

Any insight is appreciated

I found that wearing a hoop in my conch put more pressure on the piercing when I slept on it and it got far more irritated than if I wore a bar. You might be better off swapping the hoop in for particular occasions but sleeping with a bar only. Hope that makes sense!

Yeah I thought that may be the case. It's just such a shame, I've always worn studs in my conch and absolutely fell in love with the way the hoop looked after it taking me months to find one that fits haha. Do you think the piercing will get irritated even more if I keep swapping between a hoop and stud regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by purple_banana View Post
    I had a double conch done around 5/6 years ago now. Anyone who has their conch pierced, will surely agree with me that the conch healing process is a painful and long one. The first year was an absolute nightmare, however, for the past 3/4 years or so I have had no problems at all with it.

A couple of weeks ago I got a new piercing in my other ear and decided to change the jewellery in my double conch. I changed my 1.6 titanium labret studs for a 1.6 bioplast stud and a 1.6 x 14mm Gold Plated titanium BCR. The stud has been perfectly fine but I found sleeping on the BCR has irritated my ear! I thought it might have been the positioning so swapped the BCR and stud around, but now my top piercing is just as irritated. Currently I'm finding it easier to sleep on my 2 week old helix piercing than I am my 5 year old conch in the other ear.

Today, I noticed that my BCR was dirty and crusty. After taking a closer look it appears that my top conch piercing (with the BCR) is weeping a white liquid. There isn't loads, my ear isn't swollen, no lumps/bumps either just very painful to touch :(

Can anyone give me any insight into this? Has the new jewellery caused my piercing to become infected? Could it be that I just shouldn't wear a ring and resort back to a stud? Has anyone else had this issue?

Any insight is appreciated
    It certainly sounds to me like your ears have reacted to the new pieces you put in. My first lobes are 40 years old now and last year I tried some silver in them. My right ear swelled up and went hard and it wept constantly. After a few weeks I realised that it was maybe the jewellery so I swapped them back for my 9 carat gold hoops and they settled down and have been okay ever since.

I'm not an expert but I'd definitely stay away from anything plated. I know hoops can irritate piercings but my money is on you having an allergic reaction to your new piece/s. I've been so lucky with my conches and they've barely been a problem since having them pierced last year, (fingers crossed it stays that way). Change out your jewellery and go back to what you had in before and hopefully, things will settle for you
    Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Retired......3rd piercings on right and left lobe.
    Rejected......navel piercing
    Now the proud owner of both a left and right tragus piercing.
    Left conch.
    Looking forward to some more Neometal and Industrial Strength earrings.

Gold plated = crap.
    Going from a straight fistula to a curved one is going to annoy it for a while.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Doesn't sound infected to me. Sounds like a jewelry issue and a curved bar compared to a straight will be a lot more irritating at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Gold plated = crap.
    Going from a straight fistula to a curved one is going to annoy it for a while.
    Do you think I should stay away from the ring completely or just change to a better material? Bioplast or actual gold maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLoveLace View Post
    It certainly sounds to me like your ears have reacted to the new pieces you put in. My first lobes are 40 years old now and last year I tried some silver in them. My right ear swelled up and went hard and it wept constantly. After a few weeks I realised that it was maybe the jewellery so I swapped them back for my 9 carat gold hoops and they settled down and have been okay ever since.

I'm not an expert but I'd definitely stay away from anything plated. I know hoops can irritate piercings but my money is on you having an allergic reaction to your new piece/s. I've been so lucky with my conches and they've barely been a problem since having them pierced last year, (fingers crossed it stays that way). Change out your jewellery and go back to what you had in before and hopefully, things will settle for you
    Thanks for your feedback. From the other replies I'm getting I'm assuming the material is the problem also at this point. I had the same problem when I put a ring in my labret a few years back though so didn't know wether it was just the fact I'd changed to a ring after having a stud in for so long.
    So sad as the ring looks so good but I'm realising if I want to sleep peacefully again, I'm gonna have to change back to a stud!

Quote Originally Posted by purple_banana View Post
    Do you think I should stay away from the ring completely or just change to a better material? Bioplast or actual gold maybe?
    A better material would be implant grade titanium or if you want gold then go for solid gold made of at least 14k. A ring will be a pain for possibly several months as you force the fistula into a curve.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

So just to update, I went to the shop today and bought a 1.6 bioplast retainer for my ear, in the hope my ear would calm down. However, now that I have taken the ring that caused the irritation out, I'm now struggling to get my jewellery back in. When I took the ring out it was covered in a brown nasty mucus. Some kind of lump has formed on the back of my ear and has become even more painful to touch!
    I've washed with a warm sea salt solution but mucus still seems to be coming out of the hole. I've tried pushing the stud through the front first, but it gets stuck and very painful like something is blocking the exit hole.

Is it possible that the hole has closed up already? Should I wait a day or so for the piercing to be less painful so I can try and insert the jewellery again or is it likely to close up if I leave it?
    I've tried lubricating the stud but this hasn't helped.

Please help, I'd hate to have to have it repierced :(