Thread: Tongue Piercing Guage

Default Tongue Piercing Guage

Any advice on increasing from 14 guage to 12 guage for my tongue piercing? I got a 14 guage piercing 4 weeks ago and it's healing fine and I love it so far
    . Should I? Is it more involved than inserting a slightly thicker bar?

You will want to wait a lot longer, give it another 6 months or so. And no just put in a thicker bar and don't force it if it won't go in.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Firstly I would wait until it is at least three months old if I were you. Let the tongue rest for a bit before you stretch it up.

When you are going to stretch it.. Well it depends on how easy it will be. I have heard about people who can just insert one size up in their tongue after a while. I couldnt do that. How I stretched my tongue, to be more precise it was my first horizontal tongue piercing and I stretched it from 16 gauge to 14 gauge. I used a taper, the same as one would use on their earlobes. Just make sure its a bit greasy so it slides through easier. You could use olive oil or coconut oil or something like that. Then just push that through the hole slowly. After the taper you can push the bigger sized jewelry through.

You can always try to push the bigger size through on its own, without the help of a taper or something. It can be that your tongue does allow for some playing room and accepts the bigger size. You never know unless you try.

But hey this is what I did and in no way am I a profesional.
    Hey I'm Patrick. Or call me Chris, both are fine.
    Current piercings: ~ Septum 5 mm ~ Philtrum 7 mm ~ Snakebites 1,6 mm ~ Tongue 14g x 6, 2 mm x 2, 4 mm x 1
    ~ Snake eyes 14g x 2 ~ Smiley 16g ~ Frowny 16g ~ Industrial (1xL + 2xR) 14g ~ 8 mm conch punch ~ Helix R 14g

Tattoos: Really lost the count by now..
    Want:
    Tattoos; Two half sleeves and a huge back piece and chest piece.
    Piercings; Left industrial. Eyebrow

Thanks for the great advice. I love it now and don't want to screw it up. Gonna leave it as is for now.

Some other advice I read was drinking something hot before doing it. But obviously patience is key. Apparently the tongue piercing is extremely easy to stretch and can be done every couple of months or so, but again I'm no expert and only saw this advice on one professional piercing website:

http://www.infinitebody.com/oral-2/tongue-faq/ (under "Can I change the jewelery myself?")

It's always best to see how you feel about it and whether you feel it would be okay to do so. I always try and wait longer than recommended with newer piercings I worry might close for stretching than the guideline's people recommend just because I'm scared of it not working and having to put the old jewellery back in in a panic!
    Current Piercings:
    Right Ear: 00g lobe (9mm), 14g daith
    Left Ear: 00g (9mm) lobe, 14g conch
    Other: 18g right nostril, 14g/12g septum, 12g horizontal nipples

Retired:
    R.I.P: navel

My bf found his tongue a nightmare to stretch lol not that it matters now ^_^

The hot drink before is fab advice!!
    Last edited by Boo; 02-19-2016 at 12:23 AM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Good advice and thanks for the link.
    Tongue 12 guage
    Septum 14 guage