Thread: Help with customer cartilage?

Default Help with customer cartilage?

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE THIS TO THE AFTERCARE/HEALING SECTION IF IT'S IN THE WRONG PLACE, BUT I WOULD PREFER THE OPINION OF ANOTHER PIERCER IF POSSIBLE!

So I had a girl in roughly 3-4 months ago for a double nostril, she's a regular customer of ours for tattoos and everything was fine. She came in 2 days ago to explain that she'd had to take the piercings out due to irritation, and she said it's happened on every cartilage piercing she's ever gotten, no matter who it was by. I wrote down a list of her symptoms (don't have them with me now but I'll write down what I can remember and add more later if I forgot anything!) It was soreness, redness just around the holes, no swelling, minimal/no pain, and she said it nearly felt like the jewellery got "loose" in the holes and like the jewellery was being pushed out. She said when it would be pushed/taken out she would try to put it back in but it just wouldn't go through. And this has been the case on any cartilage she's had done as far as I know. It heals fine for the first few months, but then this happens. I asked about her lobes, she said they're fine and they don't get irritated with different jewellery types. I use titanium, but titanium still has small amounts of nickel bound into it so I thought it could have been a really strong nickel allergy, but that wouldn't explain how her earlobes are fine with different jewellery? I know cartilage is harder to heal with longer healing and more possible complications, but I can't figure out what could have irritated JUST her cartilage piercings like that with the same pattern every single time, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas? I know it's probably a long shot to get an answer on this thread off another piercer but it's worth a try

She wants to get them redone, but this will be her third time as far as I know, and I really don't want her to go through the same thing 3 times (6 if you include each nostril!) Would trying ptfe make sense? And has this ever happened to anybody before? It sounds like irritation of some sorts, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of it for her sake so I can give her an answer that allows her to get pierced in areas with cartilage, and actually have it last longer than 5 months!

Thank you very much!

Try PTFE also tell her if they get irritated again NOT to take them out but to see you so you can assess her problem. It's entirely possible for one body part to be more sensitive to nickle than another.

I'm not a piercer by the way so feel free to disregard my comments. Do you not have a mentor or fellow piercer you can contact?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Sometimes cartilage can take a lot longer than a few months to heal. Sounds like she's only leaving them in a few months before removing them and then not being able to reinsert as the fistula is not fully formed. Is she aware that cartilage piercings can take up to a year to heal in some cases? Does she have any medical conditions or is she on any medications which may affect her ability to heal well or suppress inflammatory responses?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Try PTFE also tell her if they get irritated again NOT to take them out but to see you so you can assess her problem.
    This sounds like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Try PTFE also tell her if they get irritated again NOT to take them out but to see you so you can assess her problem. It's entirely possible for one body part to be more sensitive to nickle than another.

I'm not a piercer by the way so feel free to disregard my comments. Do you not have a mentor or fellow piercer you can contact?
    I actually didn't know it was possibly for one part of the body to be more sensitive than another, but I suppose that would make sense given the different general sensitivities of different areas of the body! As far as I know she'd taken some out herself, but others, such as the nostril, had felt as if the hole was "loose" as she described it, and came out themselves/wouldn't physically stay in anymore? I'm thinking now though the "looseness" could have been part of the irritation, with excess fluids leaving the hole. I think the PTFE might be the best bet but I just wanted to get other opinions as well just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. And I'm currently awaiting an email back from my mentor as they moved abroad and I don't have international calls on my phone plan, so hopefully I'll have heard back from him within the next day or so, which isn't a problem as she won't be back in for another few weeks. I just thought I'd post here in the meantime just to get opinions and try get more ideas on what could be up Thank you very much for your reply, and I'd never disregard your opinion after seeing all the advice you give out here!

Quote Originally Posted by brixtonbruxelles View Post
    Sometimes cartilage can take a lot longer than a few months to heal. Sounds like she's only leaving them in a few months before removing them and then not being able to reinsert as the fistula is not fully formed. Is she aware that cartilage piercings can take up to a year to heal in some cases? Does she have any medical conditions or is she on any medications which may affect her ability to heal well or suppress inflammatory responses?
    She's aware that they can take a lot longer than a few months to heal, as I replied to Hazel, I believe she took some of them out herself, but the others, such as the nostril, got "loose" as she described it and wouldn't stay in, which I believe could be due to excess fluids coming from the hole due to irritation. She's told me she has no medical conditions or is on any medications which would affect her ability to heal, and usually she heals beautifully in general with piercings and tattoos. I think PTFE could be the best way to go, I just wanted to check out other peoples opinions as well to make sure I wasn't missing anything! I'm used to irritation/people knowing they have nickel allergies and not being able to wear certain types of jewellery ANYWHERE in their bodies, I just hadn't had anybody in who had had irritation from metal in just one particular part of their bodies (in this case all cartilage) and especially whohad such a strong reaction to titanium! I'm definitely going to go for ptfe though, it seems like the best chance, and if it happens with that I'm going to make it very very clear NOT to take them out, and come in so I can take a look. Thank you very much for your reply!
    Last edited by Boo; 02-15-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: merged posts