Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 50 Books of 2016

Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar

Double post but I want to bring this thread back, I love this challenge.

Book number 9, China Miéville's "Kraken" Although it was a little too long, thusly a little too complicated, it was a very enjoyable read. The writing style was amazing, it's like the writer himself is one of the magicians he describes in his book (maybe he is??) and it was very original, as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy I read it.

EDIT: Book no9, Courtney Alameda's "Shutter" For a YA romance-y book, albeit with horror elements, it was pretty good!
    Last edited by MidnightDreamer22; 03-20-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

RIP: right nostril, navel

Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

3. Bands of Mourning (Mistborn book 6) - Brandon Sanderson

Wow. I guess there really is always another secret.
    Last edited by ThatPsycho; 03-29-2016 at 02:14 AM.
    Current: 9mm lobes, 5mm left tragus, 5mm left conch, tongue web, nasallang, left rook, left anti-tragus, right tragus, right daith, right snug, right forward helix, bridge, 5mm septum, three-point left helix spiral, double left eyebrow

Planning: ​ Vertical labret re-pierced

Book no10, Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" Apparently this was kind-of a sequel to "American Gods", which I haven't read, and I only found out about this now that I finished it and checked reviews online, which I never do before finishing a book since I fear spoilers. I thought it was a bit lukewarm, like this review says. I kept waiting for it to become mindblowing since it "built up" suspence, but nope.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

Tattoos

Tumblr // Instagram

4. Calamity (The Reckoners book 4) - Brandon Sanderson

(Wonder if anyone can guess who my favourite author is, haha?) This book and series was amazing, and I am very sad it's over. What am I going to read next?!
    Current: 9mm lobes, 5mm left tragus, 5mm left conch, tongue web, nasallang, left rook, left anti-tragus, right tragus, right daith, right snug, right forward helix, bridge, 5mm septum, three-point left helix spiral, double left eyebrow

Planning: ​ Vertical labret re-pierced

Book no12, Caitlin Doughty's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes: and Other Lessons from the Crematory" I've been fancying a lot of autobiographical books lately, a genre I never read before, and this is one of them. It was very, very interesting. I wish it was longer TBH.

EDIT: Also finished book no13, Derek Landy's "The Maleficent Seven", one that ties into the Skulduggery Pleasant series. It was the usual awesome Landy quality.

EDIT 2: Book no14,
    David Wong's "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits" The book delivered on both parts of the title and MAN, it was AWESOME!! I loved it and I will most probably re-read it at some point.
    Last edited by MidnightDreamer22; 04-25-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings

Tattoos

Tumblr // Instagram

I'm going to give this a try, even though I expect to get eye rolls because I'm an adult with a love for YA novels.

1. The Piercing Bible - Elayne Angel
    Current Mods:
    Lobes (2x)
    Left helix
    Septum
    Tongue
    Back of neck and left rib tattoos

Future Mods:
    Sternum tattoo
    Right thigh tattoo
    Nipples(?)

tumblr|instagram|youtube

Number 15, Marie-Helene Bertino's "2am at the Cat's Pajamas" While I enjoyed the book VERY much (I love books with multiple POVs, you're basically "seeing the world through someone else's eyes" Haven't you ever wished to be able to do that?), I have to admit that it either needed to be longer (I would have prefered this option), or it needed more careful editing, because there were plot points that went literally nowhere despite being introduced. I still enjoyed it very much though.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings

Tattoos

Tumblr // Instagram

God, about time I finished a book. The last one I finished on the 8th of May, almost two months ago (!!!)

Number 16, Stephen King's "End of Watch", the last book of the Bill Hodges trilogy. I enjoyed it but I can't help but wonder, why did King go right back to his supernatural ways ven though the trilogy was supposed to be his one "normal" series? I thought that the first two books were fine, did he think he couldn't write a good book if it's not his same ol' recipe?
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings

Tattoos

Tumblr // Instagram

Number 17, John Jennedy Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces"

I think that what has hindered my challenge progress for so long is my choice in books. I liked "End of Watch" so I finished it quickly (within two-three days or so), I didn't really like this one, so I've been wrestling with it for a month (not to mention "Grunge is Dead", which isn't what I thought it would be, and "Moby Dick", which I've been "reading" since February....)

Leaving that aside, this book is meh. It's supposed to be suuper funny, and supposedly good enough to win a Pulitzer prize, but it was neither. I don't think I laughed once, and it was boring, stereotypical, and frankly rather sexist (every female character is basically an idiot, while the men are "smart enough to get what they want") It was meh.
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings

Tattoos

Tumblr // Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDreamer22 View Post
    Book no10, Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys" Apparently this was kind-of a sequel to "American Gods", which I haven't read, and I only found out about this now that I finished it and checked reviews online, which I never do before finishing a book since I fear spoilers. I thought it was a bit lukewarm, like this review says. I kept waiting for it to become mindblowing since it "built up" suspence, but nope.
    I know you posted this ages ago, but DEFINITELY read American Gods. It's far better than Anansi Boys (which I really liked also)

Quote Originally Posted by tithe_girl View Post
    I'm going to give this a try, even though I expect to get eye rolls because I'm an adult with a love for YA novels.

1. The Piercing Bible - Elayne Angel
    No eye rolls from me, I'm also an adult who loves YA novels!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast