Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over cleaning tongue piercing???

Question Over cleaning tongue piercing???

Hey guys

So, this Tuesday I decided to go ahead and get two more piercings, since I read online and usually the max number of healing piercings you should have is 3. Since cartilage ones take so long to heal, I went ahead and also got a tragus, to heal along with my industrial, and also a tongue piercing since this one usually heals really fast compared to other types.

Okay, so, on the first day I drank a lot of cold water as well as sucked on ice. I also took ibuprofen. On the next day, my tongue had a sort of a "burning" sensation, but since it was a continuous "pain" I kind of got used to it? Like, it bothers me somehow but not all that much. My piercer told me to brush my teeth after each meal (which I always do anyways) and also to use non alcohol mouthwash.

Here in Brazil (idk about other countries) we have a alcohol free Listerine. So I was using this one after each meal. I am probably having around 4-5 meals a day (usually I eat a lot more than that, but I've been eating a lot in one meal instead in order to have less meals a day not to irritate the piercing).

However I have noticed that my tongue is getting a white coat over it (it's kinda faint right now), and doing my online research I ended up concluding that I am over cleaning it. I also read that in this case, I should stop with the Listerine and stick with the sea salt soaks.

My question is: should I use the sea salt after every meal or should I keep it to a maximum of 2 times a day? Because even looking up on Google, some places say you should do no more than two times a day, and some say you are supposed to do it after every meal. So I'm really confused.

I also read that over cleaning it is bad since you end up killing the flora of your mouth that would actually protect you from infections. So I'm freaking out here because I don't wanna get another infection :I I'm afraid of over cleaning but at the same time not cleaning enough to keep infections away!

Help please? LOL Thanks <3

PS: My connection is really bad right now, but I will probably post a picture later; I also think I have a reeeeeeally small white lump on the bottom hole? I'm not quite sure though o:

EDIT: Also, uhm, I noticed that my hole on the upper part is slightly wider than the piercing's width. Is this normal? Because when the piercing is resting inside my mouth, since the bar is really long, it rests diagonally instead of vertically. Will the hole eventually heal "tightly" around the jewelry? Maybe when I change to a shorter bar? :(
    Last edited by sonatine; 11-12-2015 at 03:56 PM.

It's very unlikely piercings get infected, I have two tongue piercings two normal vertical ones down the middle of my tongue, with the first one i salt watered twice a day and drank lots of water after each meal to rinse. My second one I just drank a lot of water to rinse it. So swill your mouth with water and do sea salt twice a day.

My piercings are both slightly diagonal because of my frenulum line down the middle but I haven't had any problems.
    I have a white lump on the bottom of mine but it doesn't cause me any problems so I just leave them alone, If it causes you a problem then go see your piercer.
    Current Piercings:
    Nose
    Double tongue
    Daith
    Triple earlobes
    Helix
    Scaffolding
    Tragus
    Conch
    Left/Right Nipple

Want:

New sapphire jewellery

What I recommend to my customers is to use non-alcoholic mouthwash at LEAST twice a day. If you find it's causing irritation to use after every meal etc, switch down to a pinch of seasalt into a pint glass of hot/warm water. The white coating you mentioned is pretty normal. If you think about it, all the plasma that is naturally coming out of your piercing is literally being brought back over your tongue every time you swallow, so it leads to a coating. Once it's not green it's fairly normal. As for the top of the piercing being wider, it is most likely due to the way it sits as the bar is longer to accommodate swelling, or possibly the natural gravity of the bar as the tongue is an extremely soft surface, or possibly due to pressure of the upper ball against the tongue if you had a LOT of swelling. Do you know exactly how long the tongue bar is? And if you could attach a picture that would be brilliant! Try not to panic though, as it really doesn't sound infected, or even particularly irritated for that matter. Post a picture and see if myself or anyone else can help you better/put your mind at ease

Rinse with plain water after eating/drinking/smoking. Rinse with non-alcohol mouthwash a maximum of twice a day. The white coating is an over production of white blood cells produced when your body is healing and swollen taste buds which turn white when irritated or swollen. Some nesting is normal, as for placement there may be a reason it's at an angle. Go back to your piercer sunday/monday and see if they can do your first downsize.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thank you all for the replies ^o^

Here are the pictures (gross mouth pictures, be warned LOL):

http://puu.sh/lj2Bd/3a849260cb.jpg
    http://puu.sh/lj2Cr/bebd19c05c.jpg
    http://puu.sh/lj2D1/e62ecf9a70.jpg

Also my piercer said that jewelry could be changed in 14 days; so I think I will wait for that! I was happy that, at least so far, the swelling wasn't so bad. I mean, there's still a lot of space left!

As for the white coat, most of websites said that it was due to the mouthwash killing the flora D: So if I use the mouthwash, should I also use the SSS? I don't really wanna over clean it!

That's looking great, 14 days is too long but it's your decision.

Use SSS or mouthwash not both.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Oh okay, thank you for always taking the time to help me out, Hazel

Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Oh okay, thank you for always taking the time to help me out, Hazel
    No problem, I hope it heals up lovely for you ^_^

OH also! I'm starting to notice that the top of my tongue where the piercing is is kinda lowering? Idk how to explain it; it looks as if the piercing was super tight and pressuring the top of my tongue creating an indentation??? Is this normal? :/ the jewelry isn't even tight;; why is this happening?? Does it go away? :(

Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    OH also! I'm starting to notice that the top of my tongue where the piercing is is kinda lowering? Idk how to explain it; it looks as if the piercing was super tight and pressuring the top of my tongue creating an indentation??? Is this normal? :/ the jewelry isn't even tight;; why is this happening?? Does it go away? :(
    That's called nesting and it's totally normal, it will settle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast