Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tragus and MRI... Need advice

Default Tragus and MRI... Need advice

Hi,
    I got my Tragus pierced 11 days ago. Today at the Drs. they told me I need an MRI. It's not urgent, they need to look at my neck. How long do I need to wait before changing to a bioplast retainer for the procedure at minimum? Thanks!!
    Left Ear: 3 lobe, Helix
    Right Ear: 3 lobe, Tragus
    Navel

Ideally when it's initially healed at around 6 months or so.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Can you have it changed to titanium? Titanium is safe for an MRI

Quote Originally Posted by kiapita View Post
    Can you have it changed to titanium? Titanium is safe for an MRI
    True but you'd have to prove it to the person doing the scan and chances are they won't risk it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I talk to my piercer and he said I have implant grade jewelry, which would be safe for an MRI, but he said the same and doesn't know how to prove that to the technician. They said at the earliest I could put a plastic retainer in two months.
    Left Ear: 3 lobe, Helix
    Right Ear: 3 lobe, Tragus
    Navel

I wonder if you could prove it with some giant magnet or something. I was asked to take out ALL my piercings for surgery and I refused to remove the eyebrow, nostril, and tragus. They said it was in case there was complications haha, don't know how. You've already got me intubated and nothing gets in the way of slicing me open or doing CPR! They did, however, mess up the navel by using the hole for surgery - so now I've got an off-kilter navel piercing (kinda like me lol).

At the end of the day I will always say that health>piercings. If they need to be removed then remove them, same goes if the medical professional asks you to unless of course you can come to a compromise.

Changing to a glass retainer at a professional piercer is possible even for a very fresh piercing so if it's a planned procedure then there's no real issue going on.

OK, the risk with a piercing is that further damage will occur if there are complications or they need to get you intubated or do CPR. They may need to suction or place a nasopharyngeal or endotracheal airway into your nose, so the nostril piercing would get in the way of that. Piercings could come out by accident and enter an airway, a cavity or move under your skin and cause a pressure sore. Also, diathermy is often used in surgery to cauterise bleeding areas and if that is accidentally knocked and hits your piercing there could be a risk of it melting onto your skin! If you end up intubated, you will be taken to an ICU where your position is regularly changed and you could acquire pressure damage when leaned onto your side where your jewellery would be pressing into your skin and you would be too sedated to be aware of the increase in pressure. Also, if you take out your jewellery beforehand and give it to a relative or keep it safe, you know where it is. In emergency situations, jewellery that's removed by medical staff often gets lost, unfortunately, because our priority is saving your life and maintaining your airway and keeping you from further physical damage.

It's highly unlikely, but the rules are there to really minimize risk.

Quote Originally Posted by brixtonbruxelles View Post
    OK, the risk with a piercing is that further damage will occur if there are complications or they need to get you intubated or do CPR. They may need to suction or place a nasopharyngeal or endotracheal airway into your nose, so the nostril piercing would get in the way of that. Piercings could come out by accident and enter an airway, a cavity or move under your skin and cause a pressure sore. Also, diathermy is often used in surgery to cauterise bleeding areas and if that is accidentally knocked and hits your piercing there could be a risk of it melting onto your skin! If you end up intubated, you will be taken to an ICU where your position is regularly changed and you could acquire pressure damage when leaned onto your side where your jewellery would be pressing into your skin and you would be too sedated to be aware of the increase in pressure. Also, if you take out your jewellery beforehand and give it to a relative or keep it safe, you know where it is. In emergency situations, jewellery that's removed by medical staff often gets lost, unfortunately, because our priority is saving your life and maintaining your airway and keeping you from further physical damage.

Awesome post, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by brixtonbruxelles View Post

I know all the reasons that they request piercings be removed. They wouldn't need a nasotracheal airway as they already have an ET tube down my throat. They can suction down the tube or into the oropharyngeal space and wouldn't need to suction down the nares. Possibly an NG tube but they will also try the right nare first. They may shift someone in the ICU to prevent bedsores but not to the point of being prone or laying on an ear or eyebrow. And if they hit my eyebrow piercing while cauterizing my ABDOMEN then the lawsuit over that huge error will more than negate the melted piercing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast