Thread: Possible cartilage infection?

Unhappy Possible cartilage infection?

I got my cartilage pierced on my right ear in May. I got it done at walmart with a piercing gun (which was dumb I now know) Last week I found I had a hair wrapped around it. I tried and so did my husband to get it off but it was stuck so I ended up having to take the back off to get it and I noticed there was crusty stuff on the earring. (It's a piercing gun standard earring so the whole thing come out) It had been giving me trouble with pain,redness and feeling hot before I took it out. (I had also been overturning it which was definitely dumb) The front of my ear around the hole was slightly irritated and raised. My husband looked at the back and he said you could see milk white goop around the inside of the hole all the way through and that it was like my earring had punched a hole through the goop inside my ear. It wasn't oozing or anything just sitting there. I read that you shouldn't keep the piercing out in case it was infected, so I washed my hands and put a different sterilized earring back(It was the one from the earring kit I hadn't used. Both are 18K gold ) Since then I haven't been over turning it and I've been using h20 seasalt spray on it twice a day instead of using the Walmart ear care solution with benzalkonium chloride. Since I have done those things my ear isn't red or hot and doesn't hurt at all. I had set up a doctors appointment because I thought maybe 50/50 it might be infected but now I'm completely unsure and don't want to go to the appointment tommorow. I'm just wondering if the white goop is normal and if it is should I just leave it or try to clean it out or still go to the doctors and get it checked. Any input would be appreciated!

Just sounds irritated to me which isn't surprising seeing as it got an earring rammed into it in May with blunt force trauma. The earrings will be cheaply made and plated not real gold and will be causing irritation, along with it never having a chance to heal everything you explain sounds like irritation.

Signs of infection are excessive swelling, excessive redness, extreme pain, hot to touch, generally feeling unwell, intense throbbing in the area, oozing dark green pus, bleeding.

My advice is do one of the following:

See a piercer (not a shop assistant in a mall) and get them to assess it for you to see if it can/should be saved.
    Take it out, learn the lesson, go to piercers in future.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Default Here are pictures

Looks fine, advice stands.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Looks fine, advice stands.
    Thank you! Going to see professional piercer Friday.

Awesome! Good luck with it and let us know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Awesome! Good luck with it and let us know how you get on
    hi I went to the tattoo parlor and my piercing wasn't infected but it is still healing. I got my earring taken out and changed to a proper earring so it is now stretched to 16g. I haven't had any pain or redness since then. The piercer gave me a care sheet so I am now using a sea salt mixture of 1/4 teaspoon in 8oz glass of water. I have been using a q tip to soak my piercing and holding it on it for 2 minutes(a piece front and back) is this long enough or should it be held on there longer?
    Last edited by Fleurdelys; 10-15-2015 at 04:37 AM.

You should soak it in the solution so it can soften any crusties and the warmth can draw out any lymph for around 5 minutes.