Thread: Helix placement question

Default Helix placement question

So I just had my cartilage pierced in two places and I have a question, and I don't know how to ask without drawing on a picture.
    From pics I've seen it looks like it's supposed to go straight to the back of the ear, but mine seem to be angled upward and the backing can be seen on the pinna.
    Is this normal?

Also:

The top of my ear does curve down a bit, could this be why, would they otherwise have to put it a bit lower and it would look weird?

My ear really curls over, so much so that it can swallow up a stud easily. I have 8mm bars in 3 of them and a 10mm bar in another and fingers crossed, they're fine. Also my piercer last week, mentioned the angle of the one with the 10mm bar and obviously an angle can add to the length of bar that you need. A few millimetres can make such a difference. I love my helix piercings and it's worked okay for me. Here's a picture for you that shows how curly my ears are, the piercings are in the crease at the top:

Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Retired......3rd piercings on right and left lobe.
    Rejected......navel piercing
    Now the proud owner of both a left and right tragus piercing.
    Left conch.
    Looking forward to some more Neometal and Industrial Strength earrings.

Forgot to say, put up a picture ZQ, the guys here will help you. The placings on the back of my ear aren't all aligned with each other but they look fine from the front. As I say though, at least one of mine is angled and it's fine.
    Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Left conch.

I think I'm just being paranoid since my first lobe piercings experience was awful. Thanks! I over-analayze myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiequeefs View Post
    I think I'm just being paranoid since my first lobe piercings experience was awful. Thanks! I over-analayze myself.
    No problem. Lol, I'm terrible for over-analyzing but I believe we learn a lot if we ask questions and don't take something for granted. A bad experience like your's will just make you feel worse in that respect. If the angle still bothers you, ask about it and see what your piercer says. You can have them redone if you need to. I must admit, you can't see the backs of mine on the pinna itself but my ears are very curly and I think that could have meant the angle would have to be different. Honestly though, mine are okay.
    Left conch.

Can't really say much without seeing a photo
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Can't really say much without seeing a photo

Yeah it's just hard to get a picture without fiddling with it too much. Basically the actual piercing is in the nook of the crease, instead of going straight back it goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiequeefs View Post
    Yeah it's just hard to get a picture without fiddling with it too much. Basically the actual piercing is in the nook of the crease, instead of going straight back it goes up.
    Sounds like they've given you a vertical helix instead of a standard one or they have just done it very crooked but then again it could be because of your anatomy.

Literally impossible to answer you sorry.

Maybe go back to the piercer and ask why it was done that way
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<