Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 months and still get a bump?!

Default 15 months and still get a bump?!

So I first got my nose pierced August 2013. Got it done with a gun at the mall, was very costly and I later realised this was unsafe. I had a horrible bump on it on and off (but mostly on). I eventually took it out around March 2014 to let it heal and get it repierced, partially because i didn't like the position of the piercing.
    I got it repierced on the same side of my nose in May 2014, and its now almost September 2015 and I STILL have a bump there.
    It's really on and off but I feel like it should be completely OFF for good?! I can't wear makeup on one half of my nose because the bump will always grow. Even when it's not there, its very dark and discoloured and very sensitive so if i tug at my nose ring at all, or if I accidentally get makeup there, i'll get a nasty pus-filled bump by the next day.
    I use a SSS and it goes away, but its been so long that I feel like i shouldn't have to bother with a SSS at all.
    Everyone says people take different amounts of time to heal, the doctor says to just clean it twice a week, but I'm very unsatisfied because my piercing just doesn't look good with a bump!

Should I take it out and get a piercing on the other side of my nose? I've already spent a lot of money just to have a nose piercing and i don't wanna end up having the same problem if i get another piercing.

TL;DR
    August 2013 - pierced with gun
    March 2014 - taken out
    May 2014 - repierced with needle
    August 2015 - STILL have a bump/scar/ it never heals

Images: (Right now it doesn't look too bad because the bump is down, but the dark/discolouration drives me crazy)

Bumps are usually caused by irritation.
    What type of jewellery do you have in there? Is it titanium? If it's steel or silver you may have a reaction to the metal. Also when it was pierced was it pierced with a hoop or a stud? It may be worth getting a good fitting labret stud in there to see if that helps it settle. If it has never really settled it may be the jewellery movement that's irritating it still. You can always change back to a hoop if it settles down and heals.
    Just a couple of thoughts.
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Quote Originally Posted by Sassi View Post
    Bumps are usually caused by irritation.
    What type of jewellery do you have in there? Is it titanium? If it's steel or silver you may have a reaction to the metal. Also when it was pierced was it pierced with a hoop or a stud? It may be worth getting a good fitting labret stud in there to see if that helps it settle. If it has never really settled it may be the jewellery movement that's irritating it still. You can always change back to a hoop if it settles down and heals.
    Just a couple of thoughts.
    it's sterling silver I believe, and its small and hugs my nostril so theres no movement. I'm allergic to nickel. I've tried a 22kt gold ring as well but it was a bit bigger so the piercer said the movement might be causing the bump. I don't like studs much but even when i had a titanium stud i would get the bump. Not a huge fan of the colour of titanium though.
    edit: also, it was pierced with a corkscrew stud.

silver is not a great material for a piercing. As I mentioned earlier, it might be worth getting a nice titanium good fitting labret stud - not a nostril screw and just leaving it alone and seeing if it will settle down. I know you don't like studs but if it settles you should be able to go back to a ring
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Agree with everything Sassi has said. Get rid of the silver, for now at least, and wear titanium or something else biocompatible such as PTFE. Also, again just for now, you need to ditch the ring. Rings aren't great for healing, generally speaking. But, once the piercing has settled, you should be able to wear whatever material/type jewellery you want. I say should; some people will always have problems associated with a particular material/type of jewellery.

You may not like a plain titanium labret stud, but it's what I consider the 'granny pants' of the jewellery world. It may not look nice and sexy, but it's going to be a damn site more comfortable. Just like you wouldn't wear your super hot, silk thong that chafes your arse at certain times of the month, you don't want to be wearing any 'fancy' jewellery while there are problems with the piercing. Wear the stud, let the piercing settle, all will be well eventually.

Out of curiosity, after how long did you switch from your stud to a ring?
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

I also have had mucho problems with my nostril piercing. I'm on my third attempt. The 1 and only thing that finally settled this darn thing was a titanium neometal labret. I seriously may never take it out. Like you, I prefer hoops, but when it comes down to it, I prefer having the piercing over not having it....so here I am, happy as a clam with my stud =)

I agree with what the others have said. I bought myself some lovely silver jewellery months ago, just for my lobes and my right ear wasn't happy. It swelled and wept but as soon as I went back to my gold, it settled down. My helices and tragus are more than happy with the titanium studs I have and I'll continue to buy from Neometal and Industrial Strength, just to be sure. If your nose doesn't like the silver, it may take quite a while to calm down.

Our son's girlfriend occasionally gets pus filled spots on her ear lobes as it seems silver doesn't suit her either. I'm still learning about piercings and jewellery but it definitely sounds like it could be the silver that has caused it.
    Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Retired......3rd piercings on right and left lobe.
    Rejected......navel piercing
    Now the proud owner of both a left and right tragus piercing.
    Left conch.
    Looking forward to some more Neometal and Industrial Strength earrings.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I tried putting my titanium stud back in but it seems too thick to go through - I've been wearing pretty thing rings and I'm wondering if the hole closed up around them and is now smaller than the studs i have. Also tried 2 gold studs and they're too thick too. I might try going to a piercer and asking them to put it in for me. Where can I get new titanium jewellery?

@Jester I waited 3-4 months before switching to the ring

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous12 View Post
    Where can I get new titanium jewellery?
    Your piercer.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

bumps can also be caused by trauma, which is why they don't want you sleeping on the side or bumping it a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast