Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Philtrum Piercing :D

Default Philtrum Piercing :D

So I did it lol. I went in this afternoon to get my philtrum pierced. It was the most nervous I have ever been for a piercing for some reason, I'd heard they were quite painful, but my conch was an 11/10 so I was hoping it wouldn't be worse than that. I got there and chose the jewellery and waited while he autoclaved it, it was done at 14g with a titanium labret and a little gem end. He said as he knows I tend to swell he'd made sure to give me a nice long bar and it would look like a unicorn horn from the side LOL. Then it was time to get it done. He decided to pierce it from the outside, he said he varied depending on anatomy, but wanted to make sure mine was spot on the dot he'd made so would do it that way. Mouthwash and antiseptic applied he put on the clamps. I've not had clamps for a piercing before, I've read a lot of people find them painful, but they felt fine, just odd. Then deep breath in, and on the out breath he pierced it. I have to say it was a bit of an anticlimax, one of my least painful piercings to day, mostly pressure rather than pain. So it was all good. He put the jewellery in which was a little stingy, no more and showed me in the mirror from directly in front so I could see how it will look when the bar is shorter.
    So all done, I paid, asked him a few questions about aftercare - they always give out a very informative leaflet but I just wanted to clarify a few things. Then off home I went. On the way home I realised we're having chilli tonight, I think I'll skip it for something less spicy as he said to avoid spicy foods for a bit and not too much dairy for a few days. I have some fresh ice cubes all ready but he said to hold off for a day or so on the ice cubes as it can affect the circulation in your lip, but ibuprofen is fine. All in all pretty simple.

It feels sooooo weird though. I couldn't really feel the disc against my gums just after it was done but can now, I guess it's a bit swollen inside. I asked him about nesting as one of my big fears is the labret disc embedding. He said ideally it'll sink into a little pocket and the skin will relax a bit over the disc but not grow over it. If it does though, he said they'd be able to get it back out as that was one of my big fears.

I'm kind of scared to move my mouth at all, though feeling a little braver now. It doesn't really hurt, a bit achy and no obvious swelling just yet, but knowing how I was with other piercings I just know I'll wake up with massive duck mouth. I'm definitely more conscious of this one and a bit more paranoid as it's a completely different feeling from all the other piercings I had.

Anyhoo here's a pic taken to hide the long post and give an idea of what it's like. I kind of look a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights, so sorry for the crap pic.

All in all though, nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I just hope it heals well now.

Edit: Now the 'is it central' paranoia is setting in. The mark he did was perfectly central and it looked central when he did it, now I'm not so sure... sigh. If I hold a mirror underneath the post is in direct line with the centre of my nose which is good. The dip in my top lip is a bit off centre I think and my actual philtrum seems to be in a slightly different position to that lol. So I guess that lined up with the centre of my septum is good. It's hard to really tell in this picture as it's not really straight on. I tried getting more straight on pics but failed gloriously lol.

Edit 2: I'm now completely paranoid now about the swelling eating up the post. The free space has already gone down by a half since it was pierced, so a bit worried about what it's going to do overnight o_O. Trying to ignore it as much as possible. I do love it though
    Last edited by Sassi; 07-22-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Looks to be a great position to me!

We all get paranoid with one thing or another with piercings so try not to worry too much! If you do start to get worried just pop into the piercer they always seem to put my mind at ease!

YAY!! I'm so glad you got it, it looks lovely on you. I did the same with the central-ness thing. Fact is, our faces aren't central or symmetrical so your piercer can only align it central to one thing. They can swell a fair bit but you'll be fine, I'm sure!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Yeah everything in my face is out of alignment lol.

I know they can swell, but most people seem to say they swell overnight, mine is only about 3mm from the end of the bar now and I haven't slept with it yet it's been gradually swelling since I got it done, it mostly seems to be on the inside.
    Last edited by Sassi; 07-22-2015 at 12:17 PM.
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Extra pillow tonight!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Good idea
    2 hours of ink.

Day 2: Woke up and the swelling had got worse but not as bad as I feared. I slept on three pillows to try and help and took Ibuprofen before bed. It reached the end of the bar - just but wasn't swallowing either the disc or gem so all good. No pain at all still except occasionally a dull ache. It's a bit red around the front but I guess that's probably from the trauma of the piercing and will pass.
    It is, however, the weirdest feeling piercing I've ever had. It feels so strange especially after it swelled, very odd indeed. It's going to take a while getting used to having a bit of metal in my lip, but I think the swelling makes it feel a lot worse than it is as it's forcing the disc against my gum, whereas I couldn't really feel it just after it was done and wasn't swollen. Eating was fun, I broke off pieces of food to eat as I was paranoid about catching them on my piercing if I bit them, but all in all not too bad. I stayed away from spicy or hot food.

It's definitely not looking central now, I'm hoping it's the swelling, but it's also hard to know what would be central anyway as my mouth is definitely asymmetrical and lopsided from my nose. Oh well hopefully it'll look good when it heals as I don't think I'd get it repierced, for some reason I'm freaking out over this piercing - no idea why and wouldn't want to go through it again lol.

I don't have a top lip normally lol so most of the swelling is in the normal skin. Here's how it looks today

Last edited by Sassi; 07-23-2015 at 03:55 AM.
    2 hours of ink.

Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar

it's looking good!

i don't think your swelling will last too long; i don't have experiance with a philtrum but with my monroe/madonna (whatever you want to call it lol) i found my swelling was gone after a few days. once the smaller bar was put in too it settled and no longer hit off my gum/teeth. I hope that eases your mind a little although it isn't the exact same piercing.
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

an abundance of Inkies

Contemplating..

double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina

call me Manda
    ^3^

Thanks I hate close up photos of me lol it shows up all my wrinkles and I look like I'm sneering in the lower one due to the swelling lol Not a great look for me.
    2 hours of ink.

You really suit this piercing Sassi! It looks really nice.

Hope the healing goes well for you, I don't have any experience with lip piercings so unfortunately I wont be of much help there for you, but hopefully it wont cause you any issues!
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast