Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-reader help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E-reader help!

I'm looking to get my girlfriend some kind of e-reader for her birthday and I was wondering if anyone could share some experiences/advice on what they prefer! I know there are the obvious ones like kindles and the kobo but does anyone have any first hand experience? She has an android phone and a tablet so basically she wants something to purely read books on, she says she isn't fussed about touch screens, but obviously stuff like a good battery life and storage are needed!

I'm obviously looking for a nice low price as I'd like to get her something else too! Don't mind refurb ones either. Just not really sure where to start!

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I think my Kindle cost me 59. It's the 6" touchscreen one. I love it. The battery and storage are amazing. I've had it a couple of months and I've only charged it 3 times. And on holiday I read it for around 4 or 5 hours a day for a week. I don't have experience with any others but I know some people prefer the kobo to the kindle. I kind of wish I'd bought the Kindle Paperwhite but at the time it was over my budget.
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

I've got the kindle paperwhite and although I prefer a physical book I LOVE it.

It was really good on holiday and lasted the whole week despite me using it at night with the light on quite high.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend getting something with a backlight, purely because it's the feature I find most useful - like if she was reading in bed or reading in poor light it's a really handy feature. I LOVE reading in bed but I hate booklights, can't work torches properly (i.e. can't get comfy) and the big light is too bright etc, so having something with a backlight is super useful for me.

I'm not used anything other than kindle but I'd just be aware that if she has a kindle she can't buy ebooks from Waterstones etc. That may or may not be a deal breaker for her.
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

I third kindle!
    Ive got the very first touchscreen one and the battery lasts wait for it... 3 months! Getting books is also so easy with one click on Amazon, you just click one button and it goes through wifi straight to your kindle but id definitely agree with Rosa and say get a backlight one, thats the one feature i wish i had. I also probably wouldnt get a touchscreen one again as if i accidentally brush the screen with my hair when getting comfy it turns the page.

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

The back light feature is exactly why I wish I had the Paperwhite!
    Sarah

I love my kindle but found the kindle app on my iPad was better. I have an older kindle so no backlight and that's a feature I really love.

Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar

i use my hudl2 with a kindle app on it... only thing is i can't read it in the sun which is crap u__u
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

an abundance of Inkies

Contemplating..

double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina

call me Manda
    ^3^

Thank you guys this is all very helpful!!

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I'm on my second basic Kindle, the one with buttons that they've apparently stopped making!!! I nearly bought a Paperwhite after my first one died but IMO the contrast was poor with the light off and I didn't/don't want a touchscreen. The way I hold it, I always have at least one thumb on the screen as it's a more natural, comfortable position for me. So I'm now super paranoid and careful with my kindle.

I love my kindle BUT I recommend getting a really solid case for it that will protect it from impacts, bending and twisting as these will break the screen (tbh this is probably true for all e-readers) my first kindle died at just over a year old - so just out of warranty! - because something happened to damage the screen. To this day I still have no idea what happened. It was fine one day and not fine the next.
    Replacement has the official Kindle leather case from Amazon which (apart from a couple of exterior scratches) is holding up well. Had it nearly 2 years now.

I also recommend Calibre as an e-book library software. Yes you can just drag & drop on a computer without it but I think Calibre can convert files to .mobi, which is universally readable.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

I agree with the calibre recommendation.
    Sarah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast