Thread: Rook Piercing with extreme pain!

Angry Rook Piercing with extreme pain!

Hi I am new to this,

I got my rook pierced on Thursday and it is currently Tuesday. The pain has been so bad when it comes to sleeping or just in general. It is causing me headaches and i keep getting hot flashes from it and im only 20 so hot flashes are not ok. It is causing me to sleep less cause i can not sleep on it and it just starts to hurt out of no where causing me to wake up. It is all red and swollen and I do the SSS 2-3x a week. I do not think it is infected cause nothing is oozying out other than the whitish color but no yellow. I am currently on advil and ibuprofen. What should I do? Is my ear rejecting it? HELP :(

Here is a photo from today: It is a little irritated because I did try to take it out yesterday cause of the pain but I really do like this piercing and want to keep it.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...ukz123/ear.jpg

Could be steel irritation if it's made from steel, try cold soaks, ice pack (made properly), extra pillow at night. Maybe go see your piercer as if it swells any more that bar may not be enough. I'd say if it gets any worse see a doctor, while infections are rare it doesn't mean they're impossible. I'd be interested to see what it looked like either before or just after it got pierced as well.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Stop sleeping on it will help it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Could be steel irritation if it's made from steel, try cold soaks, ice pack (made properly), extra pillow at night. Maybe go see your piercer as if it swells any more that bar may not be enough. I'd say if it gets any worse see a doctor, while infections are rare it doesn't mean they're impossible. I'd be interested to see what it looked like either before or just after it got pierced as well.
    Here is my before and after. The secondary day I had it was good. I am not too sure what happened. I saw the dr she told me its infected and gave me antibiotics and told me to take it out but the piercer said it is not infected and to maybe give it another week before having her take it out. I really like this piercing and would love to try to save it.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...oads/image.jpg
    Last edited by karleewin; 06-24-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Take the meds as a precaution but keep it in.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Rooks can be a very long, painful healing process (in my experience anyway!)

My rook didn't swell up as badly, and it looks like the bar needs to be longer to allow for swelling (and I find that mine will get red, sore and irritated through things like changing jewellery or jewellery that's too long/tight)

Is the jewellery titanium? That may be causing some of the irritation.

Stop sleeping on it asap - it took me 3 weeks to be able to sleep on my right side once my rook was pierced. And the times I did try before it was ready it got even more swollen.

Keep taking the antibiotics, and see if they help. Keep it in, and if possible get an opinion from a second piercer and make sure the jewellery is the best quality!
    have:
    2x forward helix (right)
    1x rook (right)
    2x lobes (right & left)
    navel
    nose (right)

want:
    conch (right)
    upper conch (right)
    snug (right)
    vertical industrial (right)
    third lobes (right & left)

Quote Originally Posted by karleewin View Post
    Here is my before and after. The secondary day I had it was good. I am not too sure what happened. I saw the dr she told me its infected and gave me antibiotics and told me to take it out but the piercer said it is not infected and to maybe give it another week before having her take it out. I really like this piercing and would love to try to save it. http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...oads/image.jpg
    Typical Dr response. They always RX antibiotics even if there isn't an infection. Of course everything will go away if you take it out. That always happens. Get rid of the irritation infection or not and bam you are fine. Problems with piercings is a lot like weight loss. That first few weeks you have to trial and error and figure out what works and what doesn't. I had issues with my nose. People told me every remedy in the book, which only made things worse. When nothing worked, I left it alone, and I am fully healed. I wouldn't give up on it. Drs make their money by pushing RX. Antibitoics arent going to hurt you either way, and when you take it out it will go away, so it's a win win for the Dr. If you were in any danger, believe me, your body and mind will let you know and the DR would have removed it on the spot. Feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by iambeezer View Post
    Typical Dr response. They always RX antibiotics even if there isn't an infection. Of course everything will go away if you take it out. That always happens. Get rid of the irritation infection or not and bam you are fine. Problems with piercings is a lot like weight loss. That first few weeks you have to trial and error and figure out what works and what doesn't. I had issues with my nose. People told me every remedy in the book, which only made things worse. When nothing worked, I left it alone, and I am fully healed. I wouldn't give up on it. Drs make their money by pushing RX. Antibitoics arent going to hurt you either way, and when you take it out it will go away, so it's a win win for the Dr. If you were in any danger, believe me, your body and mind will let you know and the DR would have removed it on the spot. Feel better.
    I just want to point out there is no benefit to doctors to push antibiotics, its just a waste of resources. They would however take the option of better safe then sorry, and you would rather be given the antibiotics than let a infection go untreated and get much much worse.

Also even tho a doctor can tell you it is infected/it will get worse/ you are in serious danger from a piercing they cannot remove it or force you to remove it without your permission.

Its best to take the course of antibiotics to be on the safe side, and leave the jewellery in. Stop sleeping on it/ touching it and try to forget its even there. This should help to keep the irritation down and give the piercing a chance to start healing.