Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inner conch diary or the art of trying not to mess an ear piercing up while sleeping.

Default Inner conch diary or the art of trying not to mess an ear piercing up while sleeping.

So I got an inner conch today I'm trying to get a full ear (3 lobes, 1 conch, helices to the top).
    My ear is a bit defective (runs in the family) and a)has a really thin outer cartilage next to my conch (that's why I got a an inner conch instead of just helices, there is no cartilage/skin to pierce there, probably just 0.1inch) and b)my outer cartilage has spots where, well, it doesn't exist; which makes my ear looks like it was bitten off in some spots. All in all, I have to carefully place my piercings otherwise they will all look weird.

I was expecting to hurt a lot: from 0 to stepping-my-toe-in-a-table-corner, I'd say it didn't hurt half of it. Probably less than my nostril. Got out of the house to meet my guy, who had been putting off accompanying me to the piercing (because he's a cry baby and is legit afraid of getting anywhere near needles ) and walked by a piercing parlor, so I figured why not do it exactly now. In, out, done. Shiny!

My main issue: sleeping. I often wake up in the middle of my room or standing on top of my bed. I also have some sleeping hallucinations that make me see people/things/sounds when I'm half awake-half asleep (kinda like sleep paralysis but with movement): I move around in bed trying to figure out what the hell is going on and that makes me rub my head in my pillow/sheets - which is awesome for fresh piercings
    I'm also piercing my sleeping ear (right) 'cause my left ear rejects everything (3 lobes and 1 helix gone).
    I HAPPILY accept suggestions on how to prevent my piercing for hating me after every night.

Day 0 - Sat. June 20
    A bit of pulsating feel the first 10 minutes. The wind blowing actually made it hurt a bit for the first hour or so. After that , 0 pain. Hit it 2 hours after getting it (of course) but it didn't hurt. Cleaned it once when I got home (summer day + house cleaning = sweat) and pushed it a bit in/out to get the solution in there, then left it alone, still feels fine. Hurts when moving my eyebrows and sometimes when laughing. We move our ears WAY more than we think.

This is what I do for my conch while I'm sleeping. It might help with yours, but it may not. You will need:
    - 2 pillows.
    - 1 soft cushion, not so thick.
    - A bed that sits against a wall?

Have one of the pillows right against the wall, running with its longest part against the wall. Have the other pillow at right angles to this one like normal. Put the cushion on top of these diagonally, as though you're stacking bricks. The pillows don't quite meet where your ear is, but give your head support, so if you lie your head on the cushion, you have a nice nest where piercings on that side don't have as much pressure on them.

But this works for me because my bed is against a wall on the left, and my conch is on the right, and I sleep right in on the wall and so it's comfortable to sleep on my right facing the wall. If it was on the left side, it wouldn't work.

But, that's just my advice. Enjoy your amazing new piercing, and keep us updated on it ^.^
    Current:
    - Ear lobes x2 (right) and x1 (left)
    - Tunnel (left lobe) 10mm
    - Navel
    - Helix (right)
    - A half-rejected industrial (left)
    - Tragus (left)
    - Nostril (right)
    - Conch (right)
    - Nipple (left)

Pending:
    - Rooks (both), in the distant future

Retired:
    - Septum
    - Lip (left)
    - Nipple (right)

Do you have long hair? Put it in a ponytail on that side of your head and you can't sleep on it or rub it.
    Travel doughnut shaped pillow so it's in the hole in the middle.
    Headband to cover it so it's not being rubbed as much.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxx-Returns View Post
    This is what I do for my conch while I'm sleeping. It might help with yours, but it may not. You will need:
    - 2 pillows.
    - 1 soft cushion, not so thick.
    - A bed that sits against a wall?

Have one of the pillows right against the wall, running with its longest part against the wall. Have the other pillow at right angles to this one like normal. Put the cushion on top of these diagonally, as though you're stacking bricks. The pillows don't quite meet where your ear is, but give your head support, so if you lie your head on the cushion, you have a nice nest where piercings on that side don't have as much pressure on them.

But this works for me because my bed is against a wall on the left, and my conch is on the right, and I sleep right in on the wall and so it's comfortable to sleep on my right facing the wall. If it was on the left side, it wouldn't work.

But, that's just my advice. Enjoy your amazing new piercing, and keep us updated on it ^.^
    That's perfect! My bed and piercings are just like yours, so I will most definitely try! Lets just hope I don't feel like dancing around on the bed during night. Thanks and sure, I will update
    Have: 2 lobes, 1 inner conch, 1 nostril
    Want: 1 lobe, 7 helixes, 1 tragus (please cooperate, tiny ear! )

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Do you have long hair? Put it in a ponytail on that side of your head and you can't sleep on it or rub it.
    Travel doughnut shaped pillow so it's in the hole in the middle.
    Headband to cover it so it's not being rubbed as much.
    Oh! How did I never thought of that ponytail hack? I'll sure try, it does make sense, my sleeping-self won't feel comfortable Thank you! I feel like a real noob, but my last lobe wasn't even half a sore, so I didn't really care (until now :( )

Senior Member MidnightDreamer22's Avatar

I use a travel pillow when there's a new piercing, mine is U shaped and it works too! I love the title of your thread XD
    Hey there! I'm Niki!
    Piercings
    Left ear: 2x standard lobe, inner conch Right ear: 2x standard lobe, tragus, double helix Other: left nostril, septum

RIP: right nostril, navel

Tattoos
    2,5 hours of work (right rib piece and waist/ hip lettering)

Want: industrial, daith, philtrum, sooo many tattoos
    Tumblr // Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDreamer22 View Post
    I use a travel pillow when there's a new piercing, mine is U shaped and it works too! I love the title of your thread XD
    I'd find the title cool also, if it wasn't such a damn problem

Day 1 - Sun. June 21
    Woke up twice in the middle of the night because I was sleeping on my piercing (surprise surprise), even though I took all the measures here suggested (except for the travelling pillow cause I don't have that). It wasn't hurting though, and I slept pretty well (which means nothing, I could sleep through an hurricane).
    Got a lukewarm SSS before sleeping, got water all over my bed. SSS on ears suck! I didn't rotate the jewelry (still not sure if I should or not but) 'cause of some recent reading I've been doing, apparently it's wrong - I'd rotate my nostril a lot when cleaning and it got a giant mutant bump, maybe that's why. I'm still irrationally scared my piercing will get stuck and hurt ridiculously when I eventually decide to rotate it, but I'm convincing myself that's silly.

Today it didn't hurt, except when I lift my eyebrows (so weird). Keeping my hair up and trying not to touch it.
    I did touch a bit though, and it's still very sore. Other than that, no need to pop painkillers or anything.

All in all, it hurts if I touch, so I obviously don't touch it.

DO NOT ROTATE IT!!! That is outdated and wrong advice. Piercings do not get stuck and the skin will not grow onto the post I have 5 ear cartilage and one nostril piercing and I did not rotate any of them and have never had a problem. They'll happily move about on their own when the swelling goes down anyway lol.

Glad to hear it's not too painful and yes how much does the wind hurt on a new piercing - ouchies. I always soak my ears an hour or so before bed so they dry off, or some people say you can pat it dry with a clean tissue, but I'm always concerned about infection so try to touch it as little as possible with anything.

I hope it continues to heal well and pain free
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Quote Originally Posted by Sassi View Post
    DO NOT ROTATE IT!!! That is outdated and wrong advice. Piercings do not get stuck and the skin will not grow onto the post I have 5 ear cartilage and one nostril piercing and I did not rotate any of them and have never had a problem. They'll happily move about on their own when the swelling goes down anyway lol.

Glad to hear it's not too painful and yes how much does the wind hurt on a new piercing - ouchies. I always soak my ears an hour or so before bed so they dry off, or some people say you can pat it dry with a clean tissue, but I'm always concerned about infection so try to touch it as little as possible with anything.

I hope it continues to heal well and pain free
    Yeah, I literally touch them only when doing SSS, and even then I barely move it. But old habits die hard! I feel like in a couple of months I'm gonna move it and it will just be glued to my ear. How silly is that! But I'll resist the urge Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast