Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petition to ban ear piercings for babies

i cannot stand claires, yet parents put so much trust, i have had both needle and gun lobe piercings and needle is far less painful, if its painful for me it must be horrble for a baby

I'm not sure.

My sister's mum's side of the family comes from a traveller line and it's their tradition to pierce the ears of baby girls.
    In that respect I feel that it should be allowed so that they can get it done safely rather than resort to doing it themselves. Especially on a baby.

I really don't see the issue with it

Honestly I don't see the issue either. I was about 2 years old when I begged my mom to get my first lobes. I begged till she took me. sure the cleaning was a b*%&h and I do feel bad for putting my mom through that but I don't regret it. My sister is turning 16 and they still wont let her get her first lobes, which I find not fair as she has been asking for a few years now. Now she is to scared to get them as she knows they don't approve even though they have said it her choice (I offered to take her for her 15th birthday as her present from me) but my mom gave the whole once its done you cant undo it speech. so now my sister wont let me take her, she has one excuse after the other and I know she wants it

I honestly hate seeing kids under the age of about 6 with ear piercings.
    It's pretty frowned upon here where I live in Australia.
    Certain social leeways are made to kids that come from a background where this is tradition/common practice.
    But it's often seen as 'bogan' by most, which in Australia means trashy or from a low socioeconomic class.

I think my biggest issue is with the mother's choice in jewellery on a baby. I honestly don't think the common gold rings are appropriate on a kid in a pram/stroller for example.
    Current -
    Left ear: Triple Lobes
    Right ear: Triple Lobes, Double Helix, Daith, Double Forward Helix
    Other: Nipples, Septum, VCH

Want -
    Snug, Tragus, Christina

Retired -
    Tongue, Lip, Navel, Multiple Helixes

There are many reasons this is wrong, here are some in my opinion and it's not an exhaustive list:

Non consent
    Using a dirty gun which can lead to infection or disease
    Being a spectacle in a shop where there is no sterile area to be "pierced"
    Blunt force trauma which the child will then have to deal with as they grow
    Ears grow so what seems like good placement on a 3 month old will shift when they're older leading to poor placement
    Poor cleaning, most shops will suggest using a harsh chemical to clean which not only irritates the baby but puts them at risk for further issues such as allergies etc
    Creation of scar tissue which will lead to issues when older
    Babies cannot help but pull/rub their ears, especially when butchered by a gun leading to prolonged healing and discomfort (despite parents saying they're fine)
    The common situation of the gun getting "stuck" putting the baby through further trauma
    The pressure on the NHS (in the UK) for dealing with infection, embedded jewellery etc as commonly happens

I appreciate there are communities and cultures where piercing is the norm but these are usually done by a doctor in a sterile environment, sometimes with a needle. This is a grey area at best, poorly done at most.

I worry about parents that feel the "need" to modify an infant who cannot consent to the procedure. Funnily enough I put it one woman that would she get her dogs ears pierced at which she found the concept horrific. I asked her what the difference was, she went very quiet. Makes you think....
    Last edited by Hazel; 03-08-2017 at 07:57 AM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    There are many reasons this is wrong, here are some in my opinion and it's not an exhaustive list:

Non consent
    Using a dirty gun which can lead to infection or disease
    Being a spectacle in a shop where there is no sterile area to be "pierced"
    Blunt force trauma which the child will then have to deal with as they grow
    Ears grow so what seems like good placement on a 3 month old will shift when they're older leading to poor placement
    Poor cleaning, most shops will suggest using a harsh chemical to clean which not only irritates the baby but puts them at risk for further issues such as allergies etc
    Creation of scar tissue which will lead to issues when older
    Babies cannot help but pull/rub their ears, especially when butchered by a gun leading to prolonged healing and discomfort (despite parents saying they're fine)
    The common situation of the gun getting "stuck" putting the baby through further trauma
    The pressure on the NHS (in the UK) for dealing with infection, embedded jewellery etc as commonly happens

I appreciate there are communities and cultures where piercing is the norm but these are usually done by a doctor in a sterile environment, sometimes with a needle. This is a grey area at best, poorly done at most.

I worry about parents that feel the "need" to modify an infant who cannot consent to the procedure. Funnily enough I put it one woman that would she get her dogs ears pierced at which she found the concept horrific. I asked her what the difference was, she went very quiet. Makes you think....
    Must say Hazel very good points. What happens when a kid of 2/3 wants their ears pierced? I mean I was and am a very stubborn person and if I want it I want it now? not condoning the use of guns in unsterile environments just questioning the age? but very very good points

Quote Originally Posted by Ryry View Post
    Must say Hazel very good points. What happens when a kid of 2/3 wants their ears pierced? I mean I was and am a very stubborn person and if I want it I want it now? not condoning the use of guns in unsterile environments just questioning the age? but very very good points
    Even with a sterile needle etc etc at age 2/3 placement often isn't going to work out. Plus many 2/3 year olds won't know to not touch them, be very likely to catch them, plus toddlers don't often have clean hands and will be touching them, delaying healing, causing extra pain and so on. Not being able to say no to a 2 year old is a whole world of something else I'm not going into.

There is a reason excellent modification artists won't pierce babies/toddlers.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Iím all for this.

I feel it’s quite sexist as well and does nothing for how society views women...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast