Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Horse Breeds?

Default Favourite Horse Breeds?

Since I've been obsessing over horses I can't even afford, what's your favourite breed?
    I'm currently smitten with a good solid Gypsy cob, and while the selection in Aus is not the greatest, I've found some absolutely breathtaking specimens in the USA, specifically at SD Farm.

This is The Wooly Mammoth

And SD Silver Dolly

(note these are not my pictures, all credit goes to SD Farms)
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

I know a grand total of zilch about horses but those 2 above are gorgeous!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Always liked Suffolk Punches

Palomino

And any tineh horse haha!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I used to ride at a farm that bred Gypsies... Honestly I'm super not impressed. I found them to be arrogant, mouthy, and almost untrainable. But they're super pretty!

I love my stock horses. Paints, Quarter horses, etc. and thoroughbred crosses, but purebred TBs are a little high strung for my taste. I like a nice solid horse with some get up and go, but nice and laid back.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    I used to ride at a farm that bred Gypsies... Honestly I'm super not impressed. I found them to be arrogant, mouthy, and almost untrainable. But they're super pretty!

I love my stock horses. Paints, Quarter horses, etc. and thoroughbred crosses, but purebred TBs are a little high strung for my taste. I like a nice solid horse with some get up and go, but nice and laid back.
    Wow really? I watched a guy handling a Gypsy stallion on a conformation video last night and it just looked like he was being rude, stepping all over this guy, leaning on him. Probably could have done with a good thwack on the nose with the leadrope!
    One of the Gypsy breeders in Aus is able to put all her boys in one paddock, and they get along just fine even the breeding stallions.
    My old boss had a Welsh Cob stallion who was a right spoilt brat when she got him, but I loved him and after the mares told him what for he was the sweetest thing, even if he was still a bit untrustworthy.

I do like a nice paint/Quarterhorse but they're just not chunky enough, I did ride a nice standardbred gelding and he was a sweetie.
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Tattoos:

Ugh. I never back down from a horse and I gave up on these gypsies. One threw me into a wall. There's no reasoning with them. I'm also not are there's a whole lot going on upstairs. You can't bribe them, you can't be assertive with them, you can't be physical with them, a big voice doesn't work, and you certainly can't let them make their own decisions if you want them to make the right ones.

But like all breeds, there's the exeptions. I'm sure there's a few well mannered gypsies out there, I just haven't met one yet :-)

Draft horses/ponies are nice and sturdy, but I like that stock horses give me the feeling of a huge chunk of horseflesh between my legs with the energy and momentum of a smaller horse. A good solid QH is quite a beast of burden. What I love about my mare is I can tell her what to do and she'll do it (Maybe with a fuss), or I can drop the reins, tell her to bring us home, take a nap and wake up in the barn! My old gelding would ground tie for hours... I forgot about him once in the driveway and an hour later he hadn't budged. Haven't met a stock horse I didn't like
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Sounds like the breeders were picking the wrong attributes, were they like that from foals or just because the adults were spoilt their whole lives? How do you get them to do anything without killing someone?
    Haha, gotta love the reliability of a good ol' stockhorse! I guess it's what they were bred for.
    Gypsies are pretty for sure, just gotta find one with a brain, sounds like some humans I know haha...
    My first love was the Welsh, but there just aren't enough good breeders here for anything above C class, which is too small for me. A D is just about the small end of the right size.
    Then I found the Gypsies and there seem to be more of those around, but for ten times the price! I'm thinking if I'm gonna spend that sort of money for a pretty horse it may as well be worth it so I've started hunting and befriending breeders early. I'll probably get a nice tidy QH to bum around the farm on, there's some really nice ones in Aus.

Hazel those Punches are SO BIG, it'd be like riding a rockingchair!
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Tattoos:

I don't know what the problem was. None of the mares were related, and were from different countries even, and they were all pretty terrible. Then of course the foals were bad because mommy and daddy were.

But don't let me get you down. I'm sure you can find a nice one out there somewhere!

I do love welsh cobs. So cute. I once had the pleasure of training a welsh/trakhener cross (someone jumped the fence). She was awesome! Small, but super smart and athletic.

And excuse me, but can we talk about the Fjord? CUZ THAT IS AN AWESOME LITTLE DINOSAUR PONY

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake View Post
    Hazel those Punches are SO BIG, it'd be like riding a rockingchair!
    Haha I know, I always wondered as a kid what it would be like to ride one, never got the chance though
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Fjords are awesome little tank ponies!! I don't know if anyone has those in Aus?
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Tattoos:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast