Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Favourite Horse Breeds?

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake View Post
    As far as I know Welsh cobs aren't technically a breed, they're a variation on a breed. There's Welsh Mountain Pony (Section A - smallest type, no taller than 12hh), Welsh Pony (Section B - max 13.2hh), Welsh Pony of Cob Type (Section C also max 13.2hh but chunkier than B), and Welsh Cob (Section D - largest type anything over 13.2hh). Section D cobs are my favourite, and about the smallest I would want to ride. Makes things so complicated when you just want to look for a certain type or size. A lot of breeders in Aus have only the smaller Welsh A's, few breed many over C, although I'm sure there are a few with D's but they tend to outcross to warmbloods these days for some nice sport horses.
    Yes, I meant the Welsh types as a whole.
    I have owned both Bs and Ds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    I know a thoroughbred stallion who is the sweetest freaking thing. He's so laid back and friendly. Love him to bits. Thoroughbreds are too lanky for my liking... I like a good solid piece of horse flesh.
    I agree with you xD though I would maybe like a Welsh x TB, or Irish Sports Horse
    Face
    Right Nostril

    Right Ear

    1st lobe

    Left Ear
    1st lobe
    Conch

    Wishlist
    Septum
    2nd & 3rd lobes
    Rook or Daith (R)
    Industrial (L)
    Navel

  2. #32
    Senior Member darkbay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar-2015
    Posts
    119

    Default

    As the owner of a (possibly) part-bred Welsh cob, and someone who loves and adores Gypsies/tinker cobs, I can't help but feel the bad experiences are due to someone who doesn't quite 'get' these horses.

    They're very clever, just need a lot of repetition. They know they're strong too, and once they realise that they can use their strength and weight against you they can be absolute nightmares.

    I used to ride one who would buck if he didn't want to do anything, turned into a rodeo most days but I loved him. They're the sort of horses you have to 'ask' instead of demand, and don't give them the chance to realise they're strong - the young horse I worked with certainly didn't know he had all this strength behind him, but didn't respond to demands. You had to ask him, and ask again more firmly wen he gave the 'no' answer.

    They're amazing horses, however the American bred ones don't seem to retain the traditional traits - and I think its because a lot of the 'bad' ones were sent over originally (lots of money for lower quality)
    They need a lot of repetition, and stimulation. If you're nice to them, they're nice back. They definitely are very easily soured which is when they turn nasty, it has to be remembered they aren't like warmbloods, and are closer to heavy horses than a warmblood.

    My boy is possibly a part bred Welsh D, but he could well be part Irish Draught or a heavy cob crossed with something lighter. He's awful, very cheeky. He knows he's strong and messes around, will pull you and run off with you and all sorts. He's hotter than a lot of the TBs and younger, sportier bred horses. He's the only 14yo I know who explodes if he's fed anything more than hay.

    I am in love with horses with a bit more bone, I adore coloured cobs (the youngster I used to ride was my dream horse!) and Welsh Ds. Although I would love an Arab, or an Andalusian. Proper cobs just hold a special place in my heart, I've never met one I haven't liked or enjoyed riding so find my experience completely contrary to those stated - although I have worked with some nightmare ones but still enjoyed it and got through it with them.

    http://darkbay.tk/tagged/barney
    ^^ photos of my boy there, for anyone interested!
    have:
    2x forward helix (right)
    1x rook (right)
    2x lobes (right & left)
    navel
    nose (right)

    want:
    conch (right)
    upper conch (right)
    snug (right)
    vertical industrial (right)
    third lobes (right & left)



  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkbay View Post
    As the owner of a (possibly) part-bred Welsh cob, and someone who loves and adores Gypsies/tinker cobs, I can't help but feel the bad experiences are due to someone who doesn't quite 'get' these horses.

    They're very clever, just need a lot of repetition. They know they're strong too, and once they realise that they can use their strength and weight against you they can be absolute nightmares.

    http://darkbay.tk/tagged/barney
    ^^ photos of my boy there, for anyone interested!
    I totally agree with what you say.

    Your horsey is so cute, he does look as though he could be part Welsh or Irish, it's hard to tell!!! I looove his mane. I wish Willow's would grow like that.
    Face
    Right Nostril

    Right Ear

    1st lobe

    Left Ear
    1st lobe
    Conch

    Wishlist
    Septum
    2nd & 3rd lobes
    Rook or Daith (R)
    Industrial (L)
    Navel

  4. #34
    Senior Member darkbay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar-2015
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignitus View Post
    I totally agree with what you say.

    Your horsey is so cute, he does look as though he could be part Welsh or Irish, it's hard to tell!!! I looove his mane. I wish Willow's would grow like that.
    He's only 15hh and too light to do proper 'cob' showing, but too heavy for most horse classes! as I'm in Ireland, I suspect he's either part Welsh or part Connemara, he is more than capable of jumping over a metre and very athletic, energetic and cheeky. His mane has been growing out over the past 2-3 years, he was actually hogged when I bought him! its nearly past his shoulders at its longest parts, as gorgeous as it is it's not so fun to untangle after he's coated himself in a load of disgusting things.

    I'm a big fan of Connemaras and Welsh Cobs so if he's either or both I'd be more than happy hehe
    have:
    2x forward helix (right)
    1x rook (right)
    2x lobes (right & left)
    navel
    nose (right)

    want:
    conch (right)
    upper conch (right)
    snug (right)
    vertical industrial (right)
    third lobes (right & left)



  5. #35
    Senior Member Thehorror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov-2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,632

    Default

    He is cute! It's weird seeing a red ribbon for first... Over here red is second. I don't like red.

    my legs are too long for most cobs. I'm not particularly tall but I have long legs. So I stick to my all American stock horses!

    I will admit the gypsies I've worked with here in the states were pretty terribly bred and handled. Still wouldn't own one myself. One mare would bolt if you asked her to halt... Terrifying, as one day my instructor put me on her and neglected to mention that little habit, and we went 5 laps around the ring before I managed to steer her into a wall. Didn't touch her again.

    Ponies make me laugh. They're such hellions it's adorable! Nightmares to work with but at least they're cute and won't actually hurt you.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

    Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

    Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces


  6. #36
    Senior Member darkbay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar-2015
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    He is cute! It's weird seeing a red ribbon for first... Over here red is second. I don't like red.

    my legs are too long for most cobs. I'm not particularly tall but I have long legs. So I stick to my all American stock horses!

    I will admit the gypsies I've worked with here in the states were pretty terribly bred and handled. Still wouldn't own one myself. One mare would bolt if you asked her to halt... Terrifying, as one day my instructor put me on her and neglected to mention that little habit, and we went 5 laps around the ring before I managed to steer her into a wall. Didn't touch her again.

    Ponies make me laugh. They're such hellions it's adorable! Nightmares to work with but at least they're cute and won't actually hurt you.
    Yes haha, cobs are weird ones. I'm 5"4 and overall in proportion so I can fit onto them well, although some are much wider and take up your leg more.
    My boy used to be ridden by a 6"2 man though, looked like he needed rollerskates sometimes.

    If you're ever in Ireland you're more than welcome to come and try mine! Not that he's well bred or a true 'cob' (or even a good example of one movement and ability wise) but he has the temperament and personality most of them share.
    In the right hands, they can be some of the most loving, hard working horses who aim to please. But they do need to be taught and reinforced boundaries early on and not be allowed to push them too much. It's a shame bad experience has ruined them for you, they're genuinely my favourite horses to work with because of their nature and when they're trained and handled properly they are an absolute pleasure.

    My old RS had a lovely 15.2hh traditional cob who will always be one of my favourite horses who I have a soft spot for, he had a huge fear of whips and needed a lot of reassurance and gentle riding as any tension and raised voices made him anticipate a smack, which lead to him speeding up instead of slowing down (for a while the easiest way for a downwards transition was to loosen your rein and give him a big pat) but once he became more confident he was an absolute sweetheart who looked after his rider. I can remember my mum riding XC on him and he slipped cantering down a small hill when we were working on how to ride a XC course and the second time he went down the hill he broke to a trot to make sure he didn't slip as soon as his feet touched the hill, and went straight back into his canter pace as if he hadn't missed a beat. He was a cheeky so-and-so too who would untie himself and liked to lick faces if you stood next to him for too long.

    They're maybe just my 'type' of horse, the youngster I used to ride became a nightmare as he just picked up bad habits and his new owners really struggled with him at first as he started refusing to canter and bucking. My instructor put me on him without telling me he what he was doing so I was oblivious when I tacked him up and got on him in the paddock waiting for my lesson to start and he leapt into the air and bucked down a side of the school. But my instructor later explained she had put me on him because I'd always managed to get on with him and his bad behaviour didn't bother me at all, and it was a bit of a last resort. He was quite green and sensitive in a lot of ways, very stubborn and easily turned sour but he really really did try if you could get him on side. I absolutely adored him, so for my instructor to ask if I'd ride him because I seemed to be able to get the best out of him was a huge compliment. I partly think the only reason I still enjoyed riding him was because he wasn't as naughty and much more predictable than my own horse hehe.

    I could talk about cobs all day, they're my absolute favourites and it does sadden me to hear someone has had such a bad experience with them. If I had the money I would love to maybe start a business importing the sort of cobs I work with and starting a RS and teaching the way I've been taught in the US (although it may not work out as I don't quite think cobs fit into the showing 'ideals' over there!)

    I would love to ride proper american stock horses though, and try out western riding. The closest I've come is a display I saw a few years ago with a QH in it!
    have:
    2x forward helix (right)
    1x rook (right)
    2x lobes (right & left)
    navel
    nose (right)

    want:
    conch (right)
    upper conch (right)
    snug (right)
    vertical industrial (right)
    third lobes (right & left)



  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkbay View Post
    He's only 15hh and too light to do proper 'cob' showing, but too heavy for most horse classes! as I'm in Ireland, I suspect he's either part Welsh or part Connemara, he is more than capable of jumping over a metre and very athletic, energetic and cheeky. His mane has been growing out over the past 2-3 years, he was actually hogged when I bought him! its nearly past his shoulders at its longest parts, as gorgeous as it is it's not so fun to untangle after he's coated himself in a load of disgusting things.

    I'm a big fan of Connemaras and Welsh Cobs so if he's either or both I'd be more than happy hehe
    If his face was a little more dished I would say he definitely had welsh in him, but I've come across a lot of part breds (and even some full welshs) that didn't have dished faces so he still looks very welshy to me

    I've had my pony for six years now, his mane had been over pulled so it was extremely thin and cut very short - about five-six inches long. In that six years his mane has thickened a lot but it's still the same length!!! However, his tail is constantly growing and has to be cut every month as it starts dragging on the floor.

    Quote Originally Posted by darkbay View Post
    Yes haha, cobs are weird ones. I'm 5"4 and overall in proportion so I can fit onto them well, although some are much wider and take up your leg more.
    My boy used to be ridden by a 6"2 man though, looked like he needed rollerskates sometimes.
    Oh my! I'm 5'8 and my welsh is only 14.2hh... yes, I admit I am too big, but his barrel is SO wide my feet don't even hang beneath his belly, and I ride with slightly longer stirrups. My upper body looks a little long though. I would love a taller horse but I just can't afford one.

    Last edited by Ignitus; 07-06-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Face
    Right Nostril

    Right Ear

    1st lobe

    Left Ear
    1st lobe
    Conch

    Wishlist
    Septum
    2nd & 3rd lobes
    Rook or Daith (R)
    Industrial (L)
    Navel

  8. #38
    Senior Member ItsMegxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug-2015
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I've always loved Friesians! I think they're gorgeous.
    I also like thoroughbreds and cobs


    Have:
    1x lobe
    Daith (R)
    Helix (R)
    Septum

    Want:
    Smiley
    2x lobe
    Conch
    Tragus
    Snug
    Rook
    Nostril
    Helix (L)
    Forward helix

    Retired:
    Daith (L)
    Helix (R)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •