Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Horse Breeds?

I love me my good Quarter horse He's an awesome guy! However, I can't help but marvel at a nice warmblood or thoroughbred in action! Gypsies are pretty, but due to their popularity in many places they're really not much more than overpriced cobs in practice. I used to volunteer with a therapeutic riding program that used Fjords, and they were super fun little fellows! Loved those guys! In reality, I pay more attention to the individual horse than the breed in question.

In the UK we have an abundance of 'Gypsy horses' - basically known as a cob or sometimes an irish cob, not an official 'breed' of horse - and I'm surprised to hear people have had bad experiences with them, they're repeatedly known as a 'dope on a rope' and are considered to be the perfect beginners and/or hacking horse because they're so laid back!!! Not all of them are totally lazy but they're still pretty easy going.

I have a Welsh Section D, and he used to be a nightmare, very highly strung and sensitive. However I learned to deal with him and he's amazing. Very intelligent and inquisitive; I suspect this is the arabic influence . Some of the more flashy Welshs can be difficult horses to deal with, as a result of years of line breeding!

Based on appearance alone my favourite breeds would have to be the arabian, andalusian/lusitano and maybeeee the welsh :3
    I don't tend to judge horses by breed, I enjoy working with all types of personalities!

I've never had a problem with other cobs, but the Gypsy Vanner is an interesting animal.

But you're right, best to judge a horse individually :-) I'm sure there are good gypsies out there somewhere (probably in the UK where you tend not to mess up animal breeding... Though what you did to the bulldog is pretty gross), and though I haven't met one in sure there's a nasty paint. My mare and gelding are both paints and are very different horses... But their color, loyalty, and smarts are spot on with their breed
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Gypsies are a recognised breed in Australia at least, as far as I'm aware. I know the true original gypsy cobs were just whatever they could find probably, but over time they've developed set characteristics and there is a breed standard now, at least from what I've seen, as well as for drum horses.

Their laidbackness was part of the reason I like them so much, even stallions are easy boys and so laid back they're not nearly as much of a handful as most breeds. I love the chunky stallion look, but for any other breed it would be extremely hard to keep one, and mostly unjustifiable, but Gypsies are bred for work no matter balls or none.
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    I've never had a problem with other cobs, but the Gypsy Vanner is an interesting animal.

But you're right, best to judge a horse individually :-) I'm sure there are good gypsies out there somewhere (probably in the UK where you tend not to mess up animal breeding... Though what you did to the bulldog is pretty gross), and though I haven't met one in sure there's a nasty paint. My mare and gelding are both paints and are very different horses... But their color, loyalty, and smarts are spot on with their breed
    I agree with you about dogs, it's shocking how much so many breeds have changed over the years...

I've met some Gypsy cobs that were grumpy, and some that were really forward going! Also, most of the thoroughbreds I've met have been pretty laid-back, quiet horses... so go figure! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake View Post
    Gypsies are a recognised breed in Australia at least, as far as I'm aware. I know the true original gypsy cobs were just whatever they could find probably, but over time they've developed set characteristics and there is a breed standard now, at least from what I've seen, as well as for drum horses.
    I could be wrong, I'm not sure. All I can remember reading from various books and magazines that the only official 'breed' of cob in the UK is the Welsh Cob. Everything else that had the 'cob' build was just called a cob, for the body type it had, it was a type of horse and not a breed of horse. There only exist 'cob' classes and coloured classes, which are the classes you will see the Gypsy Cob type horses competing in. Which is odd because you get the traditional coloured cob shown in its natural state with full long mane and tail competing against the working hunter type cob, which are solid colours and have short, plaited or hogged manes and tails, no feather, clipped etc., and coloured classes are literally any type of horse that is coloured, but again their turnout has to correspond to their breed/type or category so you will get neat, plaited, long legged warmbloods alongside hairy little cobs :P.
    Gypsy cobs aren't even allowed in the Mountain and Moorland classes which are for every native breed of pony to the UK, so I'm sure they're not recognised as an official breed in the UK... yet(?)

It's one of those weird things, like how the Jack Russell isn't a 'breed' of dog recognised by the Kennel Club. But you'd think it was a breed.
    Face
    Right Nostril

Right Ear

1st lobe

Left Ear
    1st lobe
    Conch

Wishlist
    Septum
    2nd & 3rd lobes
    Rook or Daith (R)
    Industrial (L)
    Navel

Gypsy cobs are a breed, there's even a DEFRA approved breed association for traditional gypsy cobs that have specific breed standards. Even a basic wiki search shows that Gypsy Cob (UK) is a breed.

I suppose the question should be "Who says a gypsy cob is a breed?".

JRT are types because coming up with a breed standard for them would be a nightmare for the KC. Whereas the slightly bigger PRT is recognised by the KC.
    Last edited by Boo; 06-26-2015 at 03:38 AM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

As far as I know Welsh cobs aren't technically a breed, they're a variation on a breed. There's Welsh Mountain Pony (Section A - smallest type, no taller than 12hh), Welsh Pony (Section B - max 13.2hh), Welsh Pony of Cob Type (Section C also max 13.2hh but chunkier than B), and Welsh Cob (Section D - largest type anything over 13.2hh). Section D cobs are my favourite, and about the smallest I would want to ride. Makes things so complicated when you just want to look for a certain type or size. A lot of breeders in Aus have only the smaller Welsh A's, few breed many over C, although I'm sure there are a few with D's but they tend to outcross to warmbloods these days for some nice sport horses.
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Tattoos:

I know a thoroughbred stallion who is the sweetest freaking thing. He's so laid back and friendly. Love him to bits. Thoroughbreds are too lanky for my liking... I like a good solid piece of horse flesh.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    I know a thoroughbred stallion who is the sweetest freaking thing. He's so laid back and friendly. Love him to bits. Thoroughbreds are too lanky for my liking... I like a good solid piece of horse flesh.
    Haha same here, not a fan of the "tall and skinny" I'd much rather a nice chunky horse under me. Mind you I did have a Thoroughbred for a while and she didn't seem all that slim when I was on her back. Still too much for me though snotty tart!
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Tattoos:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Gypsy cobs are a breed, there's even a DEFRA approved breed association for traditional gypsy cobs that have specific breed standards. Even a basic wiki search shows that Gypsy Cob (UK) is a breed.

I suppose the question should be "Who says a gypsy cob is a breed?".

JRT are types because coming up with a breed standard for them would be a nightmare for the KC. Whereas the slightly bigger PRT is recognised by the KC.
    I agree with you, clearly there are proper breed organisations for the Gypsy cob in other countries like America, where they have become very popular. With the huge amount of snobbery in the UK, coloured horses have only come into fashion in recent years and with such an abundance of poorly bred cobs around I'm not surprised they have only been referred to as a 'type' in recent years. The association you refer to allows anyone to register their cobs as a Gyspy cob without knowing their parentage lines, so I'm assuming it's a new set up in order to set proper standards and get this horse recognised as a separate breed. Which they should do. It will however, take a few generations down the line to create a 'breed' as I know it, where full parentage is required to qualify as a breed. Like you say, as with the JRT it's probably been harder to set up a breed standard for Gypsy cobs in the UK as there are so many around with so many variations, whereas in countries they've been exported to probably only the best examples went and there's a smaller gene pool of breeding horses, so they're all pretty similar, and easier to set standards for.

It's great that they're becoming a recognised breed in the UK, I wasn't aware of this, I only hope that by restricting their breeding freedoms they don't cause any crazy genetic problems or behaviours :o
    Last edited by Ignitus; 06-26-2015 at 05:09 PM.
    Face
    Right Nostril

Right Ear

1st lobe

Left Ear
    1st lobe
    Conch

Wishlist
    Septum
    2nd & 3rd lobes
    Rook or Daith (R)
    Industrial (L)