Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the bump on my Tragus?? Hypertrophic/keloid??

Default What is the bump on my Tragus?? Hypertrophic/keloid??

I got my Tragus pierced about January 24th 2015 over 3 months ago and I have this very large bump on it. The bump can be painful and itchy if touched. I've been SSS and applying tea tree oil... It did peel off a lot but ended up growing back. I don't know what kind of bump it is and I'm not sure if I should go to the doctor for a treatment! Please give advice here's a picture:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! I'm desperate to get rid of this hideous thing.

Uh, yeah. Doctor. Soon. Is it growing still? Looks like hypertrophic scarring.

Also stop the tea tree oil that's making it worse. It's too harsh for a new piercing.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Ouch yeah, I second the doctor.
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Yeahhhh, stop the tea tree oil and probably see a doctor.

Having a ring in for healing isn't a good idea, bars or labrets are better. Also make sure it's titanium, the nickel in steel can cause allergic reactions. So you might need to see your piercer as well.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Yeah that looks more like a keloid than hypertrophic scarring. It could just be serious irritation from wearing the wrong jewellery and messing with it though.

Change to a bar, stop the TTO and make sure you're not allergic to the jewellery.
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

I would definitely go to the doctor! It looks very irritated

Thank you all for your help, I went to the dermatologist the next day and had to have it cut and burned off. It was a granuloma and its essentially a tumor that has to be tested for cancer... Very glad I went to the doctor and happy its gone! Did have to take my tragus hoop out but she said I could put it back in once the skin is healed which will be in about 2 weeks! Though i will most likely put a stud in next time as per many suggestions!

A granuloma isn't a tumour!?

You should go and see a piercer now, see if they can get a bar in for you. It might well close up in 2 weeks. Glad you got it sorted out though.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Granuloma is a very loose term when used in the medical field and can refer to a tumour as it's essentially a bunch of oversized cells creating excess growth which is what a tumour is.

It surprises me they wanted to test it considering it's pretty obvious that it's a foreign body granuloma - ya know considering the effing ring going through it lol!

Agree with the above, go see a piercer but once it's healed.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Granuloma is a very loose term when used in the medical field and can refer to a tumour as it's essentially a bunch of oversized cells creating excess growth which is what a tumour is.

It surprises me they wanted to test it considering it's pretty obvious that it's a foreign body granuloma - ya know considering the effing ring going through it lol!

Agree with the above, go see a piercer but once it's healed.
    I'm not sure where she lives but here in America Drs will test everything. They will do 500 things before stating the obvious. It's all about the high insurance money here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast