Thread: Will this rook EVER heal?

Question Will this rook EVER heal?

I got my rook piercing about 1 year ago.

I really did not treat it well during the healing period. I messed around with it a lot, mostly because I'm antsy, I just can't help it. I did always keep it very clean however, constantly doing salt soaks and washing with antibacterial soap.

After about 4 months I tried to change it. I put in a hoop in, but my hair kept getting caught in it! Kept getting irritated. Finally I changed it back to the curved barbell that it was pierced with.

For the first 6 -8 months it seemed like it was healing. Every couple weeks it would swell up again, but if I cleaned it the swelling would go down (never ALL the way down, but it seemed it was on the way to being healed)

For the past 2 months however, the swelling has not gone down. it has stayed swollen and no matter how much I clean it it won't go down! I've had a few bumps around it that come and go as well. It's not particularly painful, just swollen. I don't want my ear to look inflamed forever.

Now please don't tell me what I did wrong, just tell me what to do from here. I know I messed up by messing around with it and trying to change it to early. At this point I just want to know if it will ever heal. If not, what can I do? Can I take it out? If I take it out with the swelling eventually go down???

If you're still using antibacterial soap, I would suggest stopping because that can irritate a piercing and salt soaks should be enough anyway. Carry on with the salt soaks and , for the swelling, try using a hot chamomile tea bag as a compress. I did this when I first got my snug piercing and it really helped with reducing the swelling. Don't change the bar and try not to play with it. Rooks can take over a year to heal - especially if they have been irritated in the healing process - so your piercing could still heal. Hope this helps.
    Current: 9mm lobes, 5mm left tragus, 5mm left conch, tongue web, nasallang, left rook, left anti-tragus, right tragus, right daith, right snug, right forward helix, bridge, 5mm septum, three-point left helix spiral, double left eyebrow

Planning: ​ Vertical labret re-pierced

You've pretty much mentioned why it's not healing in your own post.

Constantly soaking it won't help - leave it alone, once, twice a day MAX and only with the correct solution (1tsp to 250ml water). Ideally for you though I'd just rinse it in the shower.

As above, ditch the soap, there's no need for it.

Make sure the jewellery is titanium and (as above) don't touch it or mess with it.

They can be long healers but you've never really given it a chance with the harsh chemicals, over cleaning and early jewellery change.

Rinse it in the shower and leave it alone.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Yeah, I def know that I did all the wrong things. My question is, is there a possibility of it just being swollen forever?

My boyfriend had a pimple once on his cartilage that got really infected and even after it went away there's a huge permanent bump there now.

The thing is, as I said, it's not painful or anything .... so I guess I'm asking is the thickness of my rook just permanent now, or will it eventually go back down to normal thin cartilage size?

Also, can I take it out? I kind of want to, I'm not really committed to having it, the only reason I've kept it in is because people say that if you take out an infected piercing the infection will get trapped. Is this true? What will happen if I take it out? I'm just so done with this whole situation.

No one can predict what your body will do. However the chances are if you leave it alone and let your body heal it and you have good quality titanium jewellery in there then yes it will settle down.

Take it out now if you want to, the infection thing is a myth and it doesn't sound infected anyway. Just irritated from the over-cleaning.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hmm, actually just re-read this. Didn't mean to imply that I CONSTANTLY soak it. Usually just a few times a week!

I will ditch the soap, thanks for the advice.

So other than occasional salt soaks, is there anything I can do to make the swelling go down?

I think I'll give it another month. If it doesn't go down by then this thing is comin out

Honestly, I'd just leave it alone, stop soaking it, rinse in the shower, let your body have a go at healing it.