Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloody Swollen Helix Pain... Infection?

1. Some bleeding is normal, if it's stopped then you're all good.
    2. If it's sore then any painkillers will do.
    3. Swelling, again normal, how to help it - cold soaks, cold compresses, anti-inflammatories (eg ibuprofen) if you can take them, avoid sleeping on it (if you have long hair put it in a ponytail on that side so you don't roll onto it or get a travel/ring pillow), extra pillow at night to elevate your head, don't touch it/play with it.
    4. Lump is probably just a reaction to your body healing something.
    5. 3 days is VERY early days, these suckers can take 6 months or more to feel settled.

Pics - can't tell much but the barbell looks snug without embedding. Keep a close eye on it and make sure it's not getting any tighter. If any of your symptoms get worse, excessive pain, excessive swelling, intense aching/throbbing, oozing green/smelly pus then see a doctor. Whilst infections are rare they're not impossible but you usually know when you have one due to the pain they can cause.

Bar is titanium right?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

The bump looks totally fine. It might stick around for a while but it's not a huge deal, and I don't think a doctor could help you much anyways.

And like Hazel said, bars look a little snug but not too bad. My helix loved ice the first week or so... 5 minutes can make a big difference.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Thanks Hazel. I'll buy some painkillers after work today and probably invest in a travel pillow too

I guess I should consider myself lucky that none of my other piercings were like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Bar is titanium right?
    I certainly hope so. He told me it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    And like Hazel said, bars look a little snug but not too bad. My helix loved ice the first week or so... 5 minutes can make a big difference.
    As for the snugness of the bars, I changed my older piercing from 5mm to 8mm and I'm pretty sure the newer bar is longer than that. I'll head back to my piercer if it gets any more swollen.

And thanks for the tip! I'll stick a bag of frozen peas on my head when I get home
    Last edited by Hayley_Flo; 03-24-2015 at 07:41 AM.
    left ear: 14mm lobe, helix & tragus
    right ear: 14mm lobe, rook & conch
    elsewhere: nostril, nipples & 2 tattoos

UPDATE: Just snagged it whilst putting my jumper on

You would not believe the swear words that just came out of my mouth. F#*K!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley_Flo View Post
    Luckily I don't sleep on that side anyway so that's a plus!
    I got my left helix pierced exactly for that reason :P

Hi guys can I ask something about cartilage piercing?
    Well it has only been 10 days since I got my cartilage piercing. It was okay for the first 6 days, no swelling, no blood, etc.
    Then on 7th day its started to sting and I was about to give it a check to the piercer. Apparently the piercer got tighter accidentally so she loosened it up for me. But the next day it started to swell more. It was red and throbbing also. And it started to bleed a little with small discharge of white yellowish liquid. Is it a sign of infection? I saw from several online sites that it was quite normal for new cartilage piercings but I'm not sure on when I should start worrying about it.

Hi Aileen!

Quote Originally Posted by aileen View Post
    Apparently the piercer got tighter accidentally so she loosened it up for me.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this ^^

But everything else sounds fine to me. In fact it sounds a lot like mine! (which btw has pretty much sorted itself out now thanks to everyone's help. Yay!) A little bit of discharge is normal but maybe see your piercer again (or a doctor) if it changes colour or gets a bit smelly.

For the swelling and pain try making some chamomile tea and freezing it in an ice cube tray. The ice feels so good on an ouchy ear. Also ibruprofen (however you spell it!) works a treat!

UPDATE: Also, try not to touch it! and if you have to make sure your hands are clean!

2nd UPDATE: Oh and don't forget your sea salt soaks!

Clean using salt water and check with your piercer

I also had one of those behind the ear bumps with a cartilage piercing last year, the bump is like a flattened pea now. It's hard and doesn't hurt, it's just a little odd.

My helix and industrial both bled like crazy, to be expected I think. My helix was a nightmare to heal but that was due to ridiculously impractical jewelry (oversized spiral) that got caught on everything. As soon as I changed to something sensible things went a whole lot smoother.

Aileen, it sounds like you might have just irritated it, knocked it by accident or something. Be gentle with it and clean as these guys have said.
    Last edited by bollatay; 05-12-2015 at 01:47 AM.
    ~ Zee ~

Left: 4 x lobe, 1st lobe stretched to 8mm, 1 x helix
    Right: 4 x lobe, 1st lobe stretched to 8mm, industrial
    Other: Septum
    Retired: Labret, outer cartilage and one badly placed lobe (re-pierced properly)
    Want:2nd helix (L), forward helix (R), daith (?), conch (L), 10mm lobes and more tattoos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12