Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloody Swollen Helix Pain... Infection?

Unhappy Bloody Swollen Helix Pain... Infection?

Hey guys, I got my second helix pierced last Friday and it has been a complete nightmare!

First off I hardly ever bleed for piercings, but when I got this done It looked like I'd been in a horrific accident and I could feel it dripping down my ear. There was a LOT of blood. With my other piercings I'd sometimes see a bit of dry blood and that's it but this was completely different. Has any one experienced a heavy bleed when getting pierced? (UPDATE: It hasn't bled since)

Secondly the pain. I hate to sound like a whiny little bitch but this constant throbbing is killing me! Asides from the bleeding, getting it done was no real problem but now my ear is just a throbbing, burning mess. Again, I haven't experienced this before so any advice to stop the pain? Will normal paracetamol do? I don't have any in the house so haven't tried it yet.

Thirdly the swelling. Over the last couple of days my ear has gotten pretty big. It's red and puffy and sore and very unhappy. How do I get this to go down?

Fourthly (is that a word?) as I'm writing this I just touched the side of my neck and I can feel a small round lump sort of under my ear at the back of my jaw. WTF!? I don't think that was there yesterday. Is that my glands? Does this sound like an infection? HELP PLEASE!

(Just adding that the guy who did my piercing has got a pretty good reputation and did all my other piercings no problem. I've been cleaning it once a day with salt and water with a cotton bud/swab thingy. And sorry If I sound like a whiny piece of shit, like I said, I haven't really had any negative piercing experience asides from the odd flare up so I have no idea what to do!)

UPDATE: It's only three days old, am I ridiculously overreacting?

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the whining!
    left ear: 14mm lobe, helix & tragus
    right ear: 14mm lobe, rook & conch
    elsewhere: nostril, nipples & 2 tattoos

We can't really assess your situation fully without pictures.
    All piercings can bleed. I've had some bleed a lot and some bleed very little or not at all.
    Don't sleep on that ear, don't touch it, and put SS solution into a cup and dunk your ear into it at least twice a day.
    I'd suggest going and getting it checked out by a different piercer and seeing what they think of it.
    Katii
    Left ear: Lobe 2.5mm, Industrial, anti-tragus.
    Right Ear: Lobe 2.5mm, double forward helix
    Other: Nostril, nipples x2, tongue
    Wants: Conch, auricle, surface tragus, collar MDs x4, VCH or Triangle.

Unfortunately no tattoos yet.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take some pictures after work and update.

Luckily I don't sleep on that side anyway so that's a plus!

Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar

And use fine sea salt
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

an abundance of Inkies

Contemplating..

double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina

call me Manda
    ^3^

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful-disaster View Post
    And use fine sea salt
    Thanks, we've actually got some in the staff room...

I wonder how crazy I'll look at work with my ear in a mug!

Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar

I know all my cartilage piercings felt really hot for around a week, maybe this will be the same with you. My scaffold felt like it was on fire! Didn't help I caught it in my hair the day i got it though :/
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

an abundance of Inkies

Contemplating..

double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina

call me Manda
    ^3^

Those bump things... Just behind your ears, where your skull comes to a point? About half the size of a ping pong ball?

I have those too. They come and go. My doctor says its just a build up of fluid. They come and go. Nothing to worry about unless it hurts.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Ugh wish I had some advise! I just got my second helix done and it's been a breeze so far. Hopefully yours feels better soon. :-/

Thanks for all the replies!

It's actually gotten a tiny bit better throughout the day. The swelling has gone down quite a bit but it's still burning and throbbing like a bitch. Did find some nasty dried blood (and maybe pus? ew) in the back. Oh and the lump on my neck/jaw is still there. I'll attach a pic.

[/IMG]

Christ I think the picture is going to be huge. Apologies in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by beautiful-disaster View Post
    I know all my cartilage piercings felt really hot for around a week, maybe this will be the same with you. My scaffold felt like it was on fire! Didn't help I caught it in my hair the day i got it though :/
    Hopefully the burning/throbbing will go away soon. I feel like ripping my ear off!

Getting new piercings caught sucks! The day I got my conch done I got a load of hair stuck around it and foolishly tried to tug it loose. Pure agony. I screamed like a banshee!

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    Those bump things... Just behind your ears, where your skull comes to a point? About half the size of a ping pong ball?

I have those too. They come and go. My doctor says its just a build up of fluid. They come and go. Nothing to worry about unless it hurts.
    That is a perfect description. It only hurts when I touch it... so I guess I should stop touching it!

Quote Originally Posted by Abby1213 View Post
    Ugh wish I had some advise! I just got my second helix done and it's been a breeze so far. Hopefully yours feels better soon. :-/
    Thank you! And I am extremely jealous of your happy helix!
    Last edited by Boo; 03-23-2015 at 08:50 PM. Reason: merged posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast