Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new cheek piercings!!!

Cool My new cheek piercings!!!

Hi all! I dont know how to start a thread but I guess I will start by saying I got my Cheeks pierced 2 days ago! I'll get straight into it! Im sorry its long, but I dont want to leave anything out!

Day Of

I booked an appointment and went with my SIL for support and a hand to squeeze! Lol when we got there I was told she couldnt come in the room and we couldnt record it, so I went lone soldier! I sat up on the bed while he measured and marked me up which took a while, because while my cheeks are symmetrical when im not smiling, they're asymmetrical while im smiling, so my piercer had to find a medium otherwise it was going to be uneven one way or the other. He used the barely visible dimple I already had on my left cheek to mark the other. I was happy and we were ready to roll. We went with 16g PTFE bars and flat backs, so I could cut them down when I was ready rather than having to have long bars that were too long for months and having to buy new ones all the time. They had wee steel balls with Diamontes

He clamped me and shoved the needle through going out/in. I was actually shocked to find that it was painless! The only part that was uncomfortable was when he followed the piercing sheath through the hole with the PTFE bar but I would barely give it a 1/10 on the pain scale. My piercer said he had never trimmed anyone's bars longer than 22mm but I forgot to ask how long he trimmed mine to. I still walked out with two whiskers though! He gave me my aftercare instructions and we said our goodbyes!

http://i.imgur.com/YoaIjZs.png

I was not in any pain but I was scared to smile because I thought it would hurt, and it didnt! I had no trouble eating, just ate really slowly so I didnt bite down on my bars. I rinsed my mouth out with alcohol free mouthwash every time I ate and salt soaks. I just brush my teeth slowly as well.

http://i.imgur.com/ifP3NXz.png

http://i.imgur.com/aRmLs1d.png

There's not really much to update about the day of though. No pain, I didnt really swell and I had no trouble sleeping. I slept on my side with my face half off the pillow but took two Ibuprofen to minimise the risk of swelling overnight.

Day One

I was scared to look in the mirror! I was surprised to find that I didnt have much swelling at all. Definately not the Hamster cheeks that some get. No pain, just feels a bit odd to smile because im not used to smiling with things sticking out of my cheeks! A wee bit of swelling occurred throughout the day but nothing noticeable, I could just tell by how much of my bars were showing. I ate as normal, rinsed with mouthwash whenever I ate and did 3x salt soaks. Slept as normal with Ibuprofen again to minimise swelling. Sorry, I didnt take many photos.

http://i.imgur.com/aRmLs1d.png

Day Two

I was nervous to see my piercings this morning as I read online that for a lot of people, the swelling is at its worst around this time, but they were basically the same as they were when I woke yesterday morning! Very little swelling, no pain, no discomfort. I woke, rinsed my mouth with mouthwash and did a salt soak on each side. Today was the first day that I had Crusties! They came off easily as they were softened with the salt soak but there was only a tiny bit on each.

I have not touched them with my hands at all yet and dont plan to, but I have always had very oily skin and because of that, I have had a facial incision become infected (I woke up the following morning and it was disgustingly yellow, spotty and full of pus!) so I am trying to keep the oil under control and well away from my piercings as much as I can.

I will continue to update as I go along but so far so good! No pain or discomfort and very minimal swelling at this point I am really hoping that those links work! I have never used this page before.
    Last edited by Danielle_Danielle; 03-09-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add photos.

Sorry, I only got to 16g and I'm worried. They shouldn't ever be done that thin. Please go see a better piercer or just take them out.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Really!? I have read everywhere online that 14g to 18g is standard for Cheeks?

At the same time, if they turn out to be too thin, im fine with that because I didnt get them pierced for the piercing, I got them done for the dimples that come after

16g is too thin, let alone 18g. Eek.

Now
    : 11mm lobes. 6mm septum.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punches L & R.
    central labret. industrial. double nostrils.
    philtrum. tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch. nipple.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by SleeeepyHollow View Post
    16g is too thin, let alone 18g. Eek.
    Eeek! Sorry, I went the wrong way! Lol I should have said 12 to 16 is what I have found to be the norm.

Since reading that y'all are concerned, I have researched websites that I didnt find before that all say either 14g or 16g is typically what is used for an initial cheek piercing.

Can I ask what your concerns are? Why would it be bad and why should I remove them? I wont, but I am interested to know. No alarm bells sounded for me when he said he would use 16g as it was common amongst all of my research.

I think it's something to do with the cheesewire effect? If the gauge is too thin, it will cut into the piercing, like you see in lots of 18 and 20G older lobe piercings that have had heavy danglies in them, how they're a slit rather than a hole?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake View Post
    I think it's something to do with the cheesewire effect? If the gauge is too thin, it will cut into the piercing, like you see in lots of 18 and 20G older lobe piercings that have had heavy danglies in them, how they're a slit rather than a hole?

Ahhh yep! I see what you mean. I am so confused now though because that conflicts with everything I have read so far!? Gah! I even double and triple checked with my piercer that 16g would be fine and he was confident it would be. Said thats what he uses?

After reading your post I got online to try and find any issues that people had with cheek piercings and the cheese wire effect - but didnt find any, not one! Does anyone have any links? Am I looking in the right place or is this effect just uncommon in cheek piercings?

Im also confused because although its thin, it doesn't look anywhere near thin enough to cut through skin? Its PTFE so its also fairly flexible, though I would imagine a solid thump could do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake View Post

Yeah, you don't want that cheesewire effect anywhere, especially your face. The thicker the bar, the less likely it is to cut into the piercing and create a slit rather than a hole. If I was getting this piercing, I would probably get it done at 12g just to be safe!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Guys she's already said she won't remove them. Looks like a lost cause. Sigh.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast