Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs of piercing rejection?

Exclamation Signs of piercing rejection?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the signs of a piercing rejection are. I have had my nose pierced for 6 months and have continuously gotten what I believe to be a "piercing pimple", a massive bump filled with pus right next to the opening of the piercing. I have tried titanium and solid gold jewelry, and neither of those have helped. I soak my nose in a saline solution twice a day and massage the bump with emu oil to help drain the pus, and this helps significantly, but only for a few days until the bump returns with a vengeance. So, does anyone know if this is actually my body rejecting my nose piercing (even though I know cartilage rejections are rare!), or is something else going on (an infection, need for different jewelry type, etc). I am concerned I will need to abandon the piercing, and would be extremely hesitant to be repierced. Any help appreciated!

Doesn't sound like infection, have you tried leaving it alone?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Doesn't sound like infection, have you tried leaving it alone?
    I have not yet tried this, as the longer the bump sits the more painful/sore and red the area becomes. Do you believe just leaving it alone may help?

Have you got a photo?
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Quote Originally Posted by Electriceclectic View Post
    I have not yet tried this, as the longer the bump sits the more painful/sore and red the area becomes. Do you believe just leaving it alone may help?
    Could do!

What jewellery do you have in there?
    What's the current jewellery made from?
    Does the jewellery seem too long/short?
    How much salt to water do you put in your soaks?
    Do you rinse after with plain water?
    When you say "pus" do you mean actual pus that is green/smelly or just a light pale/clear fluid?
    How was it pierced?
    Do you touch it/play with it/knock it?
    What colour is the bump?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Could do!

What jewellery do you have in there?
    What's the current jewellery made from?
    Does the jewellery seem too long/short?
    How much salt to water do you put in your soaks?
    Do you rinse after with plain water?
    When you say "pus" do you mean actual pus that is green/smelly or just a light pale/clear fluid?
    How was it pierced?
    Do you touch it/play with it/knock it?
    What colour is the bump?
    I currently have a 14kg hoop that seems to fit just fine. My nose was pierced with a 18g needle and the hoop I have in is a 20g. I do not measure the salt within my soaks, I usually just add a few shakes of my non idodized salt into a large mug filled with warm water and then soak... I also am not rinsing it with plain water afterwards. I do not play with it and it is extremely rare for the bump to get knocked (at least while I am awake, it is possible it gets bumped around in my sleep as I do roll around quite a bit) but I have been touching the area around the piercing with freshly washed hands to massage the bump to attempt to release pus. The bump is large and is filled with a sticky yellow pus and appears bright white like the head of a pimple (except this time it is the entire pimple). I will try to attach a photo...

Here is a photo (hopefully it has successfully been attached?)

Photo does not seem to have worked so here is the link from email: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...5c?projector=1
    Last edited by Boo; 02-12-2015 at 02:24 AM. Reason: merged posts

Ok well a stud or screw is better for an angry piercing, if on the extremely rare but possible chance you are allergic to metals then you could try a bioplast screw. Not knowing how much salt is in your soaks could be irritating the piercing if you're putting in too much, that excess salt will then be drying on your skin irritating it even more.

Is the hoop very snug/fitted?

To post a photo you need to upload it to a hosting site, we can't see things linked to your personal email account.

Ok well a stud or screw is better for an angry piercing, if on the extremely rare but possible chance you are allergic to metals then you could try a bioplast screw. Not knowing how much salt is in your soaks could be irritating the piercing if you're putting in too much, that excess salt will then be drying on your skin irritating it even more.

Is the hoop very snug/fitted?

To post a photo you need to upload it to a hosting site, we can't see things linked to your personal email account.
    I will put the photo on hold then... and I do not believe I am allergic to metals as I have numerous cartilage piercings that are doing just fine, but I do have a history of allergens to metal with my ear lobes. The hoop is not extremely snug but is not loose by any means, either. I will also start measuring my salt and making sure I add the correct proportion of salt to water. I know it is hard to give advice without a photo, but from my description, would you recommend a jewelry change to the bioplast screw you were referring to (but I will need the irritation to go away significantly before I go in to have it changed), more sea salt soaks, or just leaving it alone entirely and hope the pus will drain on its own? The area around my piercing is very inflamed and the entire side of my nose hurts a very fair amount... anything temporary until the jewelry can get changed would be great as well

Allergies can form over time. By your own admission you ear cartilage isn't allergic but your lobes are. It's possible your nostril is too. Best advice, go see a piercer who can fit you with something sterile and suitable and assess you.

Extreme redness, green puss usually and pain are indicators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast