Page 8 of 113 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Community

Quote Originally Posted by rachelallover View Post
    Hiya, I was hoping to get some advice about my industrial piercing. I got it done 6 months ago, and while my bottom piercing seems to be doing rather well, the top piercing has had a persisting bump for most of the piercing's life. It mostly protrudes from the top, but it extends slightly on the bottom of the hole as well. Initially, I think it was worsened by the bar I got pierced with, as it was rather short. I replaced it with a longer bar (probably a little too long now, but I'd rather it have it be able to breathe a little), and while it helped with some of the irritation, the bump still remains. I read the Guide to Piercing Bumps thread, it seems to be hypertrophic scarring. I've just ordered some sea salt and I'm planning on starting to do some soaks. How often should I soak it? Also, just to be clear - is this something that can actually heal (i.e. will the bump ever go away?), or should I cut my losses and take the piercing out?

Here are a couple pictures:
    i.imgur. com/knVMt2z. jpg
    i.imgur. com/ZUCEV1w. jpg
    When I got my industrial done my piercer advised that some ears aren't meant to heal with the bar and may need to heal with two separate piercings rather than the bar and it could be switched back later.
    If the SSS don't help then maybe go to your piercer and get it switched out and try that?
    Do the SSS right when you wake up and, if the day was pretty uneventful, then do it another time just before bed.
    Katii
    Left ear: Lobe 2.5mm, Industrial, anti-tragus.
    Right Ear: Lobe 2.5mm, double forward helix
    Other: Nostril, nipples x2, tongue
    Wants: Conch, auricle, surface tragus, collar MDs x4, VCH or Triangle.

Unfortunately no tattoos yet.

Hiya, I was hoping to get some advice about my industrial piercing. I got it done 6 months ago, and while my bottom piercing seems to be doing rather well, the top piercing has had a persisting bump for most of the piercing's life. It mostly protrudes from the top, but it extends slightly on the bottom of the hole as well. Initially, I think it was worsened by the bar I got pierced with, as it was rather short. I replaced it with a longer bar (probably a little too long now, but I'd rather it have it be able to breathe a little), and while it helped with some of the irritation, the bump still remains. I read the Guide to Piercing Bumps thread, it seems to be hypertrophic scarring. I've just ordered some sea salt and I'm planning on starting to do some soaks. How often should I soak it? Also, just to be clear - is this something that can actually heal (i.e. will the bump ever go away?), or should I cut my losses and take the piercing out?

My industrial took 18 months to heal and I'm a generally good healer. Don't over clean it, no more than twice a day and don't forget to rinse with plain water. I cut my losses on SSS's as I found they dried out my skin too much, but then I do suffer from dry skin. Be patient, they can be a bugger.

That bar is insanely long, go to a piercer and get them to fit you with something appropriate.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Just a quick question (I think I know the answer already, but want to clarify). Genital piercings means no oral sex (without use of barriers) for the entire healing period, correct? So if a triangle takes two-three months, can I start back up again after eight weeks if everything seems okay, or do I still need to wait the full twelve weeks? Would I be safe around ten weeks?

Sorry, I feel crass asking, but we're all adults. Sex happens and I just want to be safe about it!
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Just a quick question (I think I know the answer already, but want to clarify). Genital piercings means no oral sex (without use of barriers) for the entire healing period, correct? So if a triangle takes two-three months, can I start back up again after eight weeks if everything seems okay, or do I still need to wait the full twelve weeks? Would I be safe around ten weeks?

Sorry, I feel crass asking, but we're all adults. Sex happens and I just want to be safe about it!
    As long as it's feeling ok I'd say 8 weeks will be fine, just keep an eye on it.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hi, I asked a question about a snug piercing a few days ago, and things were going well...until this morning. My piercing is very red, swollen, and the pain is an 11 out of 10, almost uunbearable. And it's throbbing. Also, there's a swollen bump behind the ear right by my lobe. Last time this happened it was with my helix piercing, and thinking it was an infection I took it out and within 24 hours the pain and swelling was completely gone, but as a result I lost my piercing:( My helix I'd had pierced for our a decade so I was okay with letting it close up, but I've only had my snug a week and I really don't want to take it out if I can help it. I tried both some ibuprofen and a sea salt soak and neither have helped. I will be calling my pierced but the shop doesn't open for another hour. What I want to as is does it sound like an infection or is it just acting up and being super bitchy today? There's no pus coming from the piercing so I'll take that as a good sign. Also, could this also be an indicator that I need a longer barbell for it? Maybe it's too short to accommodate the swelling. Any advice would be helpful until I can call my piercer and ask what he thinks.

Could be the first signs of an infection - check with your piercer to see if you need a longer bar for the swelling, and get their opinion on it.

Some redness and swelling is completely normal for cartilage piercings, especially snugs, but if it's very red, hot, throbbing and painful to touch then it could well be infected. If it is, you'll probably need antibiotics to cure it. If a doctor says remove the piercing, nod and smile and promise you will (but don't!).
    The key symptom for me is disproportionately painful. With new piercings some pain is normal. If the pain goes off the scale then it's a warning flag.

Things you can do in the meantime - give it a hot SSS, really hot, as hot as you can stand without scalding yourself. Soak for 5 minutes then gently wipe away any gunk with paper towel (not cotton wool as it leaves fluff behind) remember to rinse with plain clean water. Don't apply ice or anything cold, your body needs that heat to fight the infection.
    Keep your hair clean and tied away from it, don't touch it, don't use the phone with that ear, don't let hats/scarves etc come into contact with it. Use the t-shirt trick on your pillow so it has a clean surface every night but try to avoid sleeping directly on it.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    Could be the first signs of an infection - check with your piercer to see if you need a longer bar for the swelling, and get their opinion on it.

Some redness and swelling is completely normal for cartilage piercings, especially snugs, but if it's very red, hot, throbbing and painful to touch then it could well be infected. If it is, you'll probably need antibiotics to cure it. If a doctor says remove the piercing, nod and smile and promise you will (but don't!).
    The key symptom for me is disproportionately painful. With new piercings some pain is normal. If the pain goes off the scale then it's a warning flag.

Things you can do in the meantime - give it a hot SSS, really hot, as hot as you can stand without scalding yourself. Soak for 5 minutes then gently wipe away any gunk with paper towel (not cotton wool as it leaves fluff behind) remember to rinse with plain clean water. Don't apply ice or anything cold, your body needs that heat to fight the infection.
    Keep your hair clean and tied away from it, don't touch it, don't use the phone with that ear, don't let hats/scarves etc come into contact with it. Use the t-shirt trick on your pillow so it has a clean surface every night but try to avoid sleeping directly on it.
    I talked to my piercer and he told me ice packs and chamomile soaks. Unfortunately I don't have chamomile tea bags (I haven't gotten to the store to buy them yet). Should I just try the ice packs and SSS for now? I'm just trying to bring the swelling down until I go to see him later today.

If you genuinely think it's infected you need to see a medical professional asap.

Don't apply ice, if it's fighting infection it needs the heat. Hot SSS it.

You should see a doctor. Piercers, even the best piercers, are not medical professionals.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue