Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE - Why guns are bad

Default GUIDE - Why guns are bad

Many of us will either have had one used on us or know someone who has, so why are they so frowned upon in the mod community?

• Blood-borne disease transmission - guns cannot be sterilised or put into an autoclave/ultrasonic. This means that as the gun is used on someone, the blood from the client is aerosolized which then lands back on the gun which cannot be cleaned and is then used on the next person. Now imagine if that person has hepatitis B or another kind of blood-borne disease the risks may be low but they are there when they don't need to be.
    • Blunt force trauma - unlike a needle a gun simply forces a blunt ended stud through the lobe, this causes injury and often leaves the client with scarring. Even worse problems such as "cauliflower ear" can happen if a gun is used on cartilage.
    • Pain - often the pain caused by a gun is much worse than that of a needle, not to mention guns often jam and lock causing even more physical and psychological distress to the client.
    • Poor quality and inappropriate jewellery - the studs used will be made of a poor alloy, if they mention being titanium it's likely it's just a titanium coating, these will cause irritation to the skin. Also the studs are too short and do not leave enough room for swelling, the result being a potentially embedded piercing causing even more pain and trauma and sometimes a trip to hospital.
    • Dangerous aftercare - those using guns often give bad advice and give/sell bad products for aftercare. They advise the use of harsh chemicals and promote turning the jewellery often, all of which will delay any healing. Butterfly backs are also a breeding ground for bacteria.
    • Inaccuracy - alongside little or no training guns are very hard to use. They are bulky and offer no precision, this means the person using it is often just hoping for the best. This leads to piercings being uneven, at a bad angle and/or too near the edge of the lobe.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Not to mention, they hurt SOO much more. Seriously.
    A quick bit of pressure from the needle, and it's over.
    The gun is like BAM, hot hot hot hot, painful hot tingling for a long time after.

Quote Originally Posted by NightGrind View Post
    Not to mention, they hurt SOO much more.
    It was mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    • Pain - often the pain caused by a gun is much worse than that of a needle
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thanks for this post I didn't know!

Junior Member Surviving(s)ReklatS's Avatar

I wish I had known about this before I got my lobes and two of my helix done...with a gun
    You never know what life will throw at you...sometimes you hope you'll awake from the nightmare...
    Current
    Ears - double lobes (l/r) conch (l/r), 3x helix (l/r), rook (l/r)
    Body - standard belly bar
    Lip - Spider bites (r)
    Want
    septum, daith (l/r), tragus (l/r) lip (shark bites)

Glad I read this now! I was going to get my nose done with a gun, I will be finding a new piercer
    left side
    1 x lobe

right side

​1x lobe

planned

right nostril
    left helix
    right second lobe

I got a helix piercing by a gun when I was 14 on a whim. I then went for a freaking kayak trip and got slammed on the side of my face and surprise surprise, it hurt my ear like a huuuuuuuuge bitch. Then proceeded to REMOVE the piercing from my right ear which began to bleed profusely, then jammed it (successfully) back in and applied bactroban religiously. It did eventually heal but I got so tired with all the shitty jewelry that I took it off and it closed up. There was a good possibility that I shattered my cartilage, since there were grooves on the edge(only the edge, thankfully) of my helix cartilage (indicative of scar tissue from bone healing) on both my ears where I was pierced.

Hi! Guns are evil. I had my ears pierced with a gun when I was 11 and had all kinds of problems. It took me until I was 37 to be brave enough to have a 2nd lobe done. I had the second lobe done with a needle and they behaved very well. I am still pleased with them.

I've had 4 of my lobe piercings done with a gun and all of them healed perfectly fine. I heard so many horror stories about cartilage shattering after being pierced like that but I thought lobe piercings were fine. I would never get another piercing with a gun now,​ but 13 year old me didn't know any better.
    Current
    Lobe x6, Nipple x2, Navel, Cartilage x2, Tongue Web
    Want
    Rook, Daith, Conch, Nose, Forward Helix

I've had First and second lobes done with a gun, which took ages to heal. One of them always appeared to flare up once in a while, especially when cheaper jewellery was in.

Someone I know had her nose done by BB with a gun and took three goes to do it! I hear Clairs are now doing noses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast