Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE - Piercing bumps

Default Keloid?

So I got a cartilage piercing almost 3 years ago in Australia. They pierced it and put a ring in it but about a month later, there was a bit of a bump developing on the back. I went to my local piercing place (back in England) and they changed it for a normal bar and I started cleaning it again more and more. The bump went down. Eventually, within the year, it started to come back.
    Basically, a few years on, it never healed up and had been at a fairly big size for over a year with no change, despite me cleaning it with saltwater regularly. I got so fed up with the lump that I finally took it out 2 days ago and this is what it then looked like (see pictures at So I got a cartilage piercing almost 3 years ago in Australia. They pierced it and put a ring in it but about a month later, there was a bit of a bump developing on the back. I went to my local piercing place (back in England) and they changed it for a normal bar and I started cleaning it again more and more. The bump went down. Eventually, within the year, it started to come back.
    Basically, a few years on, it never healed up and had been at a fairly big size for over a year with no change, despite me cleaning it with saltwater regularly. I got so fed up with the lump that I finally took it out 2 days ago and this is what it then looked like (see pictures at imgur.com/chANMbk )
    I had a shower and then cleaned it and haven't touched it since. Now, the bump on the back has become rounded (instead of flat like in the photos, which is just a result of the flat shaped back of the earring I'd worn in it) and the hole on the back has closed up.

I basically just want to know if you think this will heal up and ever shrink back down or if you think I'll need to have it removed?? I was scared to take it out for so long in case it closed up and never healed but I got so sick and tired of it not doing anything and hoped that maybe it could start to heal up if I took the piercing out??
    I don't know if it's a keloid or what but it's annoying and I just want to know if I should be thinking about getting it surgically removed or if it will heal up - if it will, how long might it take?
    Would love if anyone with a similar experience could let me know too.

Thanks.

I doubt it's a keloid unless you are prone to them and have had them before. It looks like massive irritation leading scarring to me. Give it a couple of months, no one here can guess how your body will handle it.

If it doesn't hurt, you can do oil massages on it to break down the scarring twice a day and just take it from there.

If you for a similar piercing again make sure you go to someone good who only uses implant grade titanium.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hi - what oils would you recommend?
    Current:
    6mm lobe, 1.2mm lobes x5

Retired:
    Helix

Benjamin<3

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    Hi - what oils would you recommend?
    Any really, it's the massage that's important.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hmm, I'm not sure I have any of these from the first post.

When I was a kid, I had my ears pierced with a gun (yeah, I know) and something happened to my ear, either an infection or a reaction to something and I let it heal over. Since then, I've had a weird bump in the crease where my ear meets my skin, It kind of stretches over towards my lobe too. It's never really bothered me before, it's always just been there. I had my ears re-pierced with a needle at a proper studio last year and everything healed well, when it came time to change the jewellery, I put a hinged segment ring in (tried BCRs, they're impossible) and after a few days I noticed that the ear with the bump became very painful after a few days of the hinged bit moving around in the hole and possibly catching itself on the bump. It immediately felt better after I'd taken the rings out. But I love wearing rings, barbells seem boring to me.

I bought some fixed bead rings where you can bend one side of the ring back, rather than removing the ball, but they only do 12mm in black or silver. I've looked everywhere. They only do more varied colours in 10mm and lower - but I ordered some and they're pretty stiff to bend, also there isn't much of a gap once it is bent as far as it can go. I struggled to get my 12mm pair in with the gap between the ring and the ball, so I'm guessing 10mm would be impossible.

I'm pretty sure it's not an infection, since I've had it for years and it only becomes irritated with hinged earrings. My ear is completely fine whenever I wear barbells of the same type of metal, so I'm not allergic. Also, every time I change my jewellery, I wash it beforehand in soapy water (and rinse it), I clean my lobes with unbleached salt water after taking my previous jewellery out and when I'm in the shower, I move the pieces around under the water to give it a bit of a clean. The bump is apparently skin coloured from what my mum and boyfriend have said. Does anyone know what this bump is and whether a doctor would be able to do anything? I have to go quite regularly to my GP and I'm tempted to put the hinged rings back in a few days before an appointment so I can show him how it reacts, but I'd rather not have the pain if nothing can be done for it.

@Mel94 - it's the cheap jewellery causing it, find a good piercer and get them to fit you with high-quality jewellery.

Thank you so so much! I know that I have hypertrophic scarring :/

Just looking for a little reassurance that this tragus bump is normal (as bumps go). Theres no pain or anything, i don't know it's there unless i look for it. Have been trying the leave it alone tactic, with infrequent SSS & then just rinsing in shower. Should i up the SSS? The piercing is still relatively new. 3 months old

http://rs1178.pbsrc.com/albums/x379/...h=480&fit=clip
    Last edited by Maradoddsy; 08-08-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Hello,

I have a bump (hypertrophic scar) around a nostril piercing I had done a little over 3 months ago. A tiny bump appeared about 3 weeks after the piercing was done. My piercer recommended warm saline compresses twice a day. Initially, this caused the bump to get much bigger but I followed the recommendations for a month. The newer, enlarged bump never went away. The piercer then recommended to apply hydrocortisone cream for 10 minutes prior to the warm saline soaks twice a day and to do a warm chamomile tea compress once a day. I followed those directions and I still have the bump. The piercer recently changed out my initial piercing stud for a shorter one to see if that could have been causing it to move around too much and irritate it. He also recommended going down to one hydrocortisone cream application before one warm saline soak per day, and to still continue with the chamomile tea once per day. The bump still remains. I feel I have gotten very used to the piercing on my face and I rarely touch it or bump it. I try to be extremely cautious when in the shower or washing my face. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Default Huge bump on septum help

http ://i67.tinypic. com/ 11qqmty. jpg ((join in space)

This HUGE bump is on my almost 2 month septum! Its only on the left side! My piercer talke. About cutting it open??? Is this a good idea? Please help im really scared! ^ that up there is a picture... I have this bump for a week. I was taking anti-inflammatory pills, and doing the salt soaks and it was getting better but now it grow bigger with puss