Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GUIDE - Piercing bumps

Default GUIDE - Piercing bumps

Many piercings will form bumps during their healing process, some are common and others extremely rare. This guide is designed to help you identify the bump and how to help it. Usually a lot of patience is involved. Please remember this is for guidance only and does not replace sound, professional medical advice.

Hypertrophic Scarring

• What is it? - Skin coloured bumps, very common on ear cartilage piercings and nostrils, sometimes appear red/pink at first. They do not contain anything, so cannot be popped and don't produce any pus.
    • Why does it happen? - Sometimes these bumps just happen for no reason but they can also be a result of poor quality jewellery, ill fitting jewellery, irritation (sleeping on it, hitting it, catching it, playing with it). So look to these before treating it.
    • How to treat it - Various methods can be used, frequent saline soaks, corticosteroid cream (or Fucidin H - prescription only), 3% hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil. If the piercing is still healing, please only use soaks or natural oil massages. These bumps can take a long time to do so patience is a key factor here.

Hypergranulation/Granuloma

What is it? - A lump of tissue that protrudes above the skin surface, often looks like raw meat, bleeds easily, can produce clear fluid. When present, healing is delayed so you'll have to sometimes be very patient with this one.
    What causes it? - More commonly seen in moist areas such as the navel, nostril, outer labia, it's caused by an overproduction of cells whilst healing.
    How to treat it - Frequent sea salt soaks or hypertonic soaks (more salt than usual) be wary of these as they can dry out the skin. Cortisone cream. Some use a styptic pencil to help dry it out. Asprin paste only to be used very carefully and as a last resort and removed after 5-10 minutes.

Keloids

What is it? - A very obvious lump protruding far from the piercing, can be very sore and itchy.
    What causes it? - This is again a form of hypergranulation where very broad bundles of collogen are heavily overproduced. The person will usually know they are prone to keloid production, they are rare in piercings.
    How to treat it - Prevention is better than cure here, if you know you're prone to keloid then avoid piercings. Other than this it's best to consult a medical professional.

Chemical burn

What is it? - A burn from chemicals such as ethyl chloride. They can also cause excessive bruising and temporary or permanent scarring.
    What causes it? - Piercers who use "freeze spray".
    How to treat it - Cold compresses and medical advice if needed.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I have a pus filled spot on my nose piercing, what is the cause of this? It only came up today and I've had the piercing for nearly 3 months now but it hurt so much, I took it out.

Need some advice. I got my nose pierced 7 weeks ago. Around the 4th week I developed the annoying bump. I have literally done EVERYTHING! Washed with the recommended H2O spray, and do not touch it. I have also been applying tea tree oil and literally nothing is working. I should also add I have a hoop in. Should I go back and have the hoop removed and a stud put in or keep at the washing and tea tree oil. I'm becoming extremely discouraged and want to almost just take it out at this point.

Do not use tea tree oil. It's too harsh. What kind of hoop do you have in it?
    Current Piercings:
    Right Ear: 00g lobe (9mm), 14g daith
    Left Ear: 00g (9mm) lobe, 14g conch
    Other: 18g right nostril, 14g/12g septum, 12g horizontal nipples

Retired:
    R.I.P: navel

its best to make a thread in the aftercare section where more people will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogini87 View Post
    Need some advice. I got my nose pierced 7 weeks ago. Around the 4th week I developed the annoying bump. I have literally done EVERYTHING! Washed with the recommended H2O spray, and do not touch it. I have also been applying tea tree oil and literally nothing is working. I should also add I have a hoop in. Should I go back and have the hoop removed and a stud put in or keep at the washing and tea tree oil. I'm becoming extremely discouraged and want to almost just take it out at this point.
    Hiya and welcome to the forums. 7 weeks is still early stages however the hoop may not be helping. I would suggest seeing an excellent piercer and getting them to change it to an implant grade titanium micro labret or screw.

H2Ocean won't really do much for a bump, tea tree oil, as mentioned above, is going to do nothing but irritate and prolong the bump. Stick to sea salt solution soaks or rinsing in the shower.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thanks so much! I will discontinue my use of the TTO. I just did a sea salt soak. Is getting rid of my hoop the only way to get rid of the bump? It looked as though it was going away and yesterday came back with a vengeance. I really don't like the look of a stud but if it's absolutely necessary I will have them switched out. Also totally off topic question. How the heck do I add a profile picture? Thanks ��

Quote Originally Posted by Yogini87 View Post
    Thanks so much! I will discontinue my use of the TTO. I just did a sea salt soak. Is getting rid of my hoop the only way to get rid of the bump? It looked as though it was going away and yesterday came back with a vengeance. I really don't like the look of a stud but if it's absolutely necessary I will have them switched out. Also totally off topic question. How the heck do I add a profile picture? Thanks ��
    Meh, not essential but it could help and when it's healed you can go back to a ring.

For a photo you need 10 posts and just upload to a hosting site like Imgur and post the link.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thank you! I ended up biting the bullet and went to the shop to have it changed to a stud. However I'm a little worried he didn't put the proper one in after asking multiple times if he did. He put a sterling silver stud in with nothing to secure it. Looks just like a earring without the back. He told me to stop using soap and only use the H2O spray... He also said if it heals properly I can have the hoop put back in in 4 weeks.

Go back to a decent piercer and get it swapped out ASAP sterling silver is terrible for piercings and can permanently stain the skin.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast