Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE - How to choose a piercer

Default GUIDE - How to choose a piercer

This isn't just for people new to piercings, if you're not happy with your current piercer or have moved and are looking for someone new then here's some pointers. Please note that some of this information may only be relevant to piercers in the UK.

• Check your piercer and the business is licensed by the local authority to pierce. There's no such thing as a piercing qualification.
    • Ask how long they have been piercing and how they trained, avoid if they mention "piercing courses".
    • Ask to see examples of their work or a portfolio - these can sometimes be found online on websites or Facebook pages.
    • The piercing room should be separate from reception, not just in a corner of a shop. Ensure all surfaces in the room (counters, trays, sinks, walls, couch/chair etc) are wipe-able in case of splashes or spills. Carpets are a big no.
    • Ask how they prepare the room and themselves, they should mention using as biocide to clean client areas for each client, certain products for disinfecting and use aseptic techniques when piercing. This includes using taps at a sink with levers or foot pedals and paper towels to dry, not hand dryers. It also means they will use new gloves everytime they touch something (sterile packets, marking tools etc).
    • There should be a sharps bin in the piercing room.
    • The sterilization area should not be in the piercing room (or if large then very far away from the client area) and usually consists of 2 deep sinks exclusively used for washing tools and equipment.
    • Ask about their policies - it may show some problems with their ethics if they are happy to pierce very young children (aside from lobes) or will perform genital piercings on 16/17 year olds.
    • Ask about anaesthetic - if they use it then avoid. Sprays do not work and cause burns and other issues, injectables should only be used by medical professionals for medical reasons and creams are pointless for piercings.
    • Ask what jewellery they use - if they say anything except titanium, niobium or PTFE then they are breaking EU regulations and are best avoided.
    • A good piercer will be happy to answer any questions and show you how they sterilise (they may suggest making an appointment if they're busy though!), here's what to look for:
    • At least a 2 stage process involving an ultrasonic bath which mechanically and chemically cleans equipment and is then rinsed. After this an autoclave is used, this uses pressure and heat to fully sterilise items, they are then bagged and sealed until use.
    • Another stage that can be performed before these is a cold soak for reusable items where they are soaked in a chemical to kill off any bacteria, viruses etc.
    • Get opinions of people who have been pierced there, were they happy? Would they go back?
    Last edited by Hazel; 11-07-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Please also use this thread for discussion, it is encouraged.

If I have anything wrong here or you think something could be added please PM me.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Great thread! I've learnt a couple of new things too!
    Current piercings-

Right ear-
    Tragus
    Lobe x3
    industrial

Left ear-
    Conch
    Lobe x3

Nostril

Retired-
    Helix
    Forward helix
    Septum
    Rook
    Navel

3 tattoos

Thank you! If it helps just 1 person it will make me happy lol

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thank you, I will be needing this when I check out 2 new places because my old place has let me down with a piercing I desperately want.

You're welcome

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thank you this really helped

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyhogs21 View Post
    Thank you this really helped
    You're welcome

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I don't live in the EU, so I realize that requirements are not the same... But what is your opinion on surgical grade steel? Four months ago I got my double helix, and both were pierced with surgical grade steel hoops.

I'd prefer to be pierced with titanium to avoid any possible nickel reaction, if it's implant grade steel then that's a bit better than 316L or surgical steel.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast