Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microdermals and medical imaging

Default Microdermals and medical imaging

Has anyone had MD's and had any form of medical imaging? Xrays, MRI, whatever really. I'm toying with the idea of having something around my collarbones in the future but then I realised it's not like you can whip them out like a piercing! So I wondered what happens in situations like this?

Thanks.

X-rays will only matter if they are in the very close vicinity of what's being looked at. With a non emergency MRI it's down to the type you're having, where the MRI is focussing and the decision of the medical professional, often they want them removed. In an emergency they will be cut out if required.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

This is basically what I feared, if I need any sort of chest X-ray in the future, it would interfere I reckon. I'm having visions of the nurses pinning me down and cutting them out for the MRI I understand for emergencies, that's just life but it's the non emergency situations which worry me. This is likely going to influence my decision towards not having them done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sira View Post
    This is basically what I feared, if I need any sort of chest X-ray in the future, it would interfere I reckon. I'm having visions of the nurses pinning me down and cutting them out for the MRI I understand for emergencies, that's just life but it's the non emergency situations which worry me. This is likely going to influence my decision towards not having them done.
    Unless they're x-raying your collarbone and the exact same point you'll be ok I would think. My dentist never needed me to remove my septum and double nostril jewellery to look at my mouth. All it does is show them up, not ruin the imagery.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I think unless they're directly in the way of the part being x-rayed, they're not a problem. Even then, there's probably another angle.
    For the MRI, I don't think they should be a problem again unless they're directly in the way of what's being imaged. Titanium isn't magnetic so MDs shouldn't be affected. (though I think it depends on the medical establishment/people as to whether they let you keep them or not)

I've had dentists make me remove tongue piercings for x-rays and stuff. If I'd had a septum or philtrum piercing when I had root canal work on my front top teeth, they would have needed to come out as well.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    I think unless they're directly in the way of the part being x-rayed, they're not a problem. Even then, there's probably another angle.
    For the MRI, I don't think they should be a problem again unless they're directly in the way of what's being imaged. Titanium isn't magnetic so MDs shouldn't be affected. (though I think it depends on the medical establishment/people as to whether they let you keep them or not)

I've had dentists make me remove tongue piercings for x-rays and stuff. If I'd had a septum or philtrum piercing when I had root canal work on my front top teeth, they would have needed to come out as well.
    Aye exactly, you'd have to convince the medical professional they're titanium but they're often reluctant as if they got ripped out you could blame them for the injury caused and it can potentially damage the machine.

My dentist doesn't even ask you to remove a tongue piercing, but yours is stretched isn't it kitebunny?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Aye exactly, you'd have to convince the medical professional they're titanium but they're often reluctant as if they got ripped out you could blame them for the injury caused and it can potentially damage the machine.

My dentist doesn't even ask you to remove a tongue piercing, but yours is stretched isn't it kitebunny?
    It is, yeah. I also had venoms for a while so it was a bit "busy" in there. My previous dentist didn't mind about tongue piercings for x-rays but the one I go to now likes them out. She approves of me wearing a glass tonguebar, surprisingly! Maybe cos it's inert and is so easy to clean. (she's glad my venoms are gone haha) I must ask her opinion on delrin next time I'm in.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

I recently had an x ray on my hand to check there was nothing in a cut. The cut was quite close to the microdermals on my wrist but there wasn't a problem, I just told them they were there first. Also having had chest x rays before I don't think collarbone MDs would ruin the imagery as they would be too high.

Overall though I think it depends on the doctors, etc whether they make you take them out or not, my GP seems to hate my piercings and would just insist I remove them all if he could!!
    Current Piercings
    3 x Lobes (L&R)
    Inner Conch (L)
    Outer Conch (L)
    2 x Helix (R)
    Rook (R)
    Nostril

Tattoos
    Celtic cross, roses and wings back piece
    Dot work mandala, skull and roses half sleeve
    Koi carp and skull half sleeve
    Flowers and hummingbird on right forearm
    Butterfly lower back
    Gecko left wrist

Thanks for your replies everyone. It's funny because when Hazel replied and I thought "Oh, maybe not then" it made me sad so I must want them quite a lot. Do you think it would help if I could prove they were high quality titanium? Example, the ISO/ASTM certification of the particular jewellery? There shouldn't be any worry because titanium is not magnetic but maybe they'd be concerned over whether it really is, especially with so many people using crap jewellery? I wonder if signing or offering to release them from liability will work too? It's not that I wouldn't mind having them cut out as such if it really came down to that and not having a critical scan, it's just I've heard of doctors/nurses cutting them out in such a way as to leave you with a lot of scarring. If it's an emergency the last thing I'll be thinking about is my MD's and scarring anyway, but it's the more normal situations that concern me.

I wish medical professionals wouldn't comment negatively on peoples piercings. If it's healthy and not set to cause issues with teeth/gums/whatever, it's none of their business unless you're asking. It's just rude!

It could help if you could prove it but for that you'd need an expert with you who could determine exactly what is in your body at the time to prove it 100%. As for liability, if you wanted to go down that route then you'd need legal advice and to probably pay for any legal advice they required as well so it would be costly. Your other option would be to go private and see if you can get a consultant who agrees with your requests but I can tell you now after looking into it, a private MRI is not cheap.

Simply put:

X-ray you'll be fine unless it's looking at the exact site of the MD.

Planned MRI get in touch as soon as you know your appointment and ask them what their policy is, if they want them removed then you can either put forward suggestions and hope they agree, remove them, not have the MRI or get lucky and not have to remove them. If you turned up and they want them out then they'd just cancel the appointment and tell you to get them removed and then rebook.

Emergency MRI - you're not going to care.

And overall if you're really that worried about scarring then don't get MD's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast