Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The NHS; should we draw a line?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    "Could" being the operative word.

The person I quoted didn't mention any of that.

Also don't get me started on the self-inflicted crap. That won't work either and will target the poor.
    The problem is - politicians are going to *have* to change the way the NHS works. It is simply not sustainable to carry on as we have been. The question then becomes - what is the least-bad alternative system, that provides maximum health benefits, at an affordable cost, and doesn't penalize the poor or unlucky recipients of "bad" DNA.

The country is running a huge debt (1.5tn+), and a large deficit, and there isn't any easy way to generate more income. With an aging population, and medical treatments getting ever more costly, something will give. Remember, the original aim of the NHS was to be virtually unnecessary within a decade or two as it improved the health of the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    The problem is - politicians are going to *have* to change the way the NHS works. It is simply not sustainable to carry on as we have been. The question then becomes - what is the least-bad alternative system, that provides maximum health benefits, at an affordable cost, and doesn't penalize the poor or unlucky recipients of "bad" DNA.

The country is running a huge debt (1.5tn+), and a large deficit, and there isn't any easy way to generate more income. With an aging population, and medical treatments getting ever more costly, something will give. Remember, the original aim of the NHS was to be virtually unnecessary within a decade or two as it improved the health of the nation.
    Agreed but the self inflicted thing is a logistical nightmare in itself. Nearly everything we do could be seen as self inflicted. I won't go into detail as I've gone very in-depth on here before.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Maybe the solution is to introduce some measure of contribution to the system, for example you're late for an appointment or alternatively don't turn up you pay something toward it and similarly if you've gone and done something such as massively stretched your ear lobes you pay something toward it - it could be 5 or 10 but it would be something. Maybe on the other hand if you do certain things e.g. maintain your body mass index beneath a certain level or whatever it might be the system finds some way of rewarding you - on the premise you're less likely to make use of it, I for example know one company whose health insurance provider does exactly this for people that carry out a certain amount of activity each week - measured by fitness trackers.
    Current piercings: Horizontal Nipples 2.4 mm, 4 mm, Tongue 10 mm, Navel rejected, o smiley/frenulum 1.6mm

Quote Originally Posted by Unassuming View Post
    Maybe the solution is to introduce some measure of contribution to the system, for example you're late for an appointment or alternatively don't turn up you pay something toward it and similarly if you've gone and done something such as massively stretched your ear lobes you pay something toward it - it could be 5 or 10 but it would be something. Maybe on the other hand if you do certain things e.g. maintain your body mass index beneath a certain level or whatever it might be the system finds some way of rewarding you - on the premise you're less likely to make use of it, I for example know one company whose health insurance provider does exactly this for people that carry out a certain amount of activity each week - measured by fitness trackers.
    Who would pay for the huge administration cost that would bring?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Who would pay for the huge administration cost that would bring?
    We pay anyway for those that fail to keep appointment or do some of things I've mentioned, there could be a special tax code - having been in and out of work this year, they've altered mine, why not those that willingly, knowingly abuse our wonderful NHS - those that assault doctors or nurses would of course have a very particular tax code along with certain restrictions as to the treatments they could and couldn't get.
    Current piercings: Horizontal Nipples 2.4 mm, 4 mm, Tongue 10 mm, Navel rejected, o smiley/frenulum 1.6mm

Should we also draw a line with the fire department? "you light a candle near a curtain, your own fault your house is on fire. Deal with it"
    Or maybe with the police as well? "You were out late at night by yourself, your own fault you get raped. We don't care"
    Or we could also draw lines with mental health services! "Your mother has mental health problems, she chose to have kids. Her fault. Deal with it."
    Or maybe we should 'draw a line' with MP expenses! One MP near where I live, claims her council tax on her expenses!

I think if somebody needs the help, we should be providing it. Regardless of how they got into the situation. Rewards would be nice, but costly on our already buckled healthcare system. A better alternative would be clamping down on tax avoidance, closing loopholes, removing the expensive bedroom tax (which costs more to implement than it saves) and marriage allowance (which costs more than the bedroom tax saves), putting the top rate of tax up, and investing that money into our NHS (which is a gift)

Quote Originally Posted by Unassuming View Post
    We pay anyway for those that fail to keep appointment or do some of things I've mentioned, there could be a special tax code - having been in and out of work this year, they've altered mine, why not those that willingly, knowingly abuse our wonderful NHS - those that assault doctors or nurses would of course have a very particular tax code along with certain restrictions as to the treatments they could and couldn't get.
    The NHS is at breaking point and some people in this country, even those who work are needing to rely on food banks because they are living in poverty. Making the system so insanely complex would be a logistical nightmare and cost millions, I'm just curious where that's going to come from? How would that tax code work?

People who are breaking the law are a totally different kettle of fish they can and are ejected out of medical settings and in some cases go through the legal system. Again managing that would be a logistical nightmare and would need a whole raft of rules and regulations attached to it, who would manage it? Who would pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgo View Post
    Should we also draw a line with the fire department? "you light a candle near a curtain, your own fault your house is on fire. Deal with it"
    Or maybe with the police as well? "You were out late at night by yourself, your own fault you get raped. We don't care"
    Or we could also draw lines with mental health services! "Your mother has mental health problems, she chose to have kids. Her fault. Deal with it."
    Or maybe we should 'draw a line' with MP expenses! One MP near where I live, claims her council tax on her expenses!

I think if somebody needs the help, we should be providing it. Regardless of how they got into the situation. Rewards would be nice, but costly on our already buckled healthcare system. A better alternative would be clamping down on tax avoidance, closing loopholes, removing the expensive bedroom tax (which costs more to implement than it saves) and marriage allowance (which costs more than the bedroom tax saves), putting the top rate of tax up, and investing that money into our NHS (which is a gift)
    I love you.

The NHS is at breaking point and some people in this country, even those who work are needing to rely on food banks because they are living in poverty. Making the system so insanely complex would be a logistical nightmare and cost millions, I'm just curious where that's going to come from? How would that tax code work?

People who are breaking the law are a totally different kettle of fish they can and are ejected out of medical settings and in some cases go through the legal system. Again managing that would be a logistical nightmare and would need a whole raft of rules and regulations attached to it, who would manage it? Who would pay for it?

I love you.

people's lack of empathy is shocking.

also as a side note it's worth adding: when you begin to stretch your ears, ride a motorcycle etc, your intention is not to injure yourself. one does not begin stretching ears with the mindset "I want to snap my ear lobes", it's not intentional and it should be treated as an accident - because that's what it is.

Every time I'm in A&E, most people are there with self-inflicted injuries.

I think they have to prioritise when the budget is so tight

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast