Thread: What are the do's and don't's for changing a newly healed septum piercing?

Default What are the do's and don't's for changing a newly healed septum piercing?

It's finally 8 weeks since I got my septum piercing and I'm pretty sure it's safe to change the jewelry (There's no crusties,practically no soreness from pressing my nose,can move the jewelry easily) my nose has been running a lot, but I figured I've just got a cold or something? :s

I was pierced with a silver high grade nickel free titanium circular barbell,not 100% on the gauge-must have been 16g since that's the size of the jewelry I ordered after. My cbb is externally threaded as are the ones that I've bought,I found out that internally threaded is better after I'd been pierced and bought more jewelry...whoops :p
    Planning to put it the Blackline Micro Circular Barbell from this website (PVD coated G23 surgical titanium micro circular barbell with a 1.2mm gauge)

What are the do's and don't's on changing my piercing?

This is my plan;
    -Attempt to take out my cbb, without taking it out completely try and put it back in to make sure I'm able to remove and put in the jewelry.If it works;
    -Straight away put in my black cbb.
    -Leave my black cbb in for the foreseeable future,unless I don't like it as my everyday jewelry then change it back to my original cbb within 24hours.
    Last edited by Bananasundaee; 10-05-2014 at 04:52 PM.

19 year old girl who is quite new to the piercing world..but eager to have more
    Yet to step into the tattoo world.
    3 lobe piercings/left ear,1 lobe piercing/right ear,
    proud owner of a septum piercing

If you plan on taking it out over the bathroom sink, do put the plug in or just put a clean towel down to catch anything you drop. It's amazing how tiny bits of metal can bounce!

You generally want clean hands, a clean clutter-free surface, and clean jewellery. Plus a mirror probably. And a calm state of mind.
    Take the existing one out, put it down, put the new one in straight away and tighten any balls etc securely. Then clean and store the one you just removed.
    You can also follow-through from old to new jewellery, like using an insertion pin, but if they're both rings or horseshoes it'll be difficult.

As for whether internally threaded is "better" well that's a huge can of worms that I'll skip on past because I think it's down to personal preference tbh. I personally don't get on well with internally threaded stuff, I find it uncomfortable to insert (cos I don't have an insertion pin) and I find the ends fiddly.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    If you plan on taking it out over the bathroom sink, do put the plug in or just put a clean towel down to catch anything you drop. It's amazing how tiny bits of metal can bounce!

You generally want clean hands, a clean clutter-free surface, and clean jewellery. Plus a mirror probably. And a calm state of mind.
    Take the existing one out, put it down, put the new one in straight away and tighten any balls etc securely. Then clean and store the one you just removed.
    You can also follow-through from old to new jewellery, like using an insertion pin, but if they're both rings or horseshoes it'll be difficult.

As for whether internally threaded is "better" well that's a huge can of worms that I'll skip on past because I think it's down to personal preference tbh. I personally don't get on well with internally threaded stuff, I find it uncomfortable to insert (cos I don't have an insertion pin) and I find the ends fiddly.
    Oh my gosh lol I didn't even think of doing it over the sink or with anything below incase I drop something,thank you I'm so stupid sometimes :L do you think the jewelry I want to put in is safe for an 8week old piercing? As in the material..

19 year old girl who is quite new to the piercing world..but eager to have more
    Yet to step into the tattoo world.
    3 lobe piercings/left ear,1 lobe piercing/right ear,
    proud owner of a septum piercing

Blackline? Yeah, should be fine as long as there's no nicks or scratches on it.

8 weeks is still a bit young for a piercing though so be gentle.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Kitebunny is absolutely spot on about a calm state of mind. The amount of times I've tried to change jewellery, got frustrated an been unable to get it through despite trying for 40+ minutes... Come back to it half an hour later and plop. In it goes first time, no problems. So, honestly, don't lose faith if you struggle the first time!

For jewellery changing I normally sit on the floor or my bed, with a mirror in front of me (if I can't see it). That way if it drops, it won't roll far. Trust me, you'll hate the 'I've just dropped my 2mm ball and now it's rolled into any number of hidden spots in this room' search. It's a pain! Latex gloves can help grip jewellery if you're struggling. I've also used KY Jelly to insert problematic piercings, but I would imagine you wouldn't need that for a septum.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

^ With the 'oh crap this tiny end has just bounced to somewhere' search

The amount of times I've been on my hands and knees in my room with the light turned off and a torch to try and locate the glint of metal is quite comical :L
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

the tiny ball search is even more annoying when it's one you have *just* received in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTulip View Post
    the tiny ball search is even more annoying when it's one you have *just* received in the mail!
    The most annoying one I ever had was I bought a beautiful green spiral with rose gems for my helix (it had just turned a year old, so I was excited to try new jewellery; was also one of my first 'real' piercings, so you can understand how I was feeling about changing it!). I bought it when I was camping and waited a week until I got home because I knew if I dropped the ball in the field I was never find it again. Get home, go to put it in and... I dropped the entire thing down the plug hole.

I was devastated, but fortunately my dad was able to retrieve it by dismantling the sink. =P I've always put the plug in ever since if I'm doing it over a sink.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos