Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cultural Appropriation

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Does that mean the fact that my Latin teacher was English and not an ancient Roman/from the Vatican was also cultural appropriation? O_o
    Lol exactly, I've never heard it applied to teachers of languages :/
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Yeah, me either until then. Because it's so wrong to let kids dress in kimonos and use samurai swords in a class activity. Some people have no clue.

I'm all for embracing other cultures (we live in a multicultural society!), so to hear people say it's wrong to get sugar skull tattoos or wear clothes from another culture baffles me. I don't see how it can possibly be a bad thing to decorate yourself with things from other cultures that you like and are presenting in a positive way. =/
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

I don't think it was cultural appropriation for my (English) husband to have a kilt made for our wedding in the tartan of the clan my dad has links to.
    He's marrying into my family and therefore our culture. Marrying into a Scottish family, in Scotland, it would have been weird if he didn't wear a kilt.

He doesn't wear it "True Scotsman" style though, but that's entirely his choice.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

I don't think it would be weird for a man not to wear a kilt if Scottish or getting married to a Scottish person, surely it's just preference rather than weird? Nor is getting married in a simple dress or suit for a lady as opposed to tons of white frills and lace.

As for education, dressing up and learning languages I don't think that could ever be seen as appropriation, that's just crazy. I do kinda get the sugar skull thing in a way as it's linked to the Mexican/Hispanic day of the dead where they pay their respects to people who have passed over so to get one as say a tattoo (for aesthetics only) may insult someone who thinks it should be reserved for their mourning/celebrating of loss as per their culture. However it has crossed over many cultures now and integrated in many countries with people seemingly welcoming it. I think it's because of the ties to a very personal day for those people that it can be seen as possible appropriation.

I worried about the henna aspect and since talking to a few more people have found it's extremely welcomed now that others try it out, mainly because it is not just linked to weddings and married women but also just for fashion, so if it's done just for the sake of it looking pretty in their culture then there's no real way it should offend - of course there will always be people who are closed minded and object but you get that in all areas of life.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I think so long as you learn about something with respect (and don't go doing something altogether dim, (like wearing a culture's mourning accoutrements as a Fun Thing at the Club as a fer-instance) then you should be fine. I'd like to think most people can understand the difference between considerate use and outright disrespect of a cultural practice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12