Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Referendum

Default Scottish Referendum

In 14 days, the referendum on Scottish Independence is taking place. Since the result (if a yes vote) will affect everyone in the UK, I wonder what everyone feels about it? Is there a difference between members living in Scotland and the rest of us? Will we all be waking up to a shock on the 19th?

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I'm quite interested too, obviously living in Scotland it's something of a frequent topic in conversations but I've not seen/heard many opinions from people I know from elsewhere
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

From what I've read, "yes" seems to becoming more popular, but probably not yet a majority. Katie, is that your experience? My worry (from an outsider's perspective) is that there are so many unknowns about important matters that going for independence would be a *huge* leap in the dark. I also suspect the idea that everything could be decided and ready for 2016 is just a _little_ optimistic

Most of the people I know are Yes voters, but I'm aware that's not representative of the country as a whole! I think for most people voting yes the potential risks and unknowns are far less risky than staying in a country which is privatising our public services (like the NHS) at an alarming rate, ever increasing the costs of education (despite having promised to abolish fees for university education) and in which we have very, very little say in anything.
    Also the BT campaign has made some pretty big errors lately which I've definitely seen have an affect on the people I know who were undecided or not very passionate about No

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    ...and in which we have very, very little say in anything.
    Much like the rest of us If Scotland does vote yes, my hope is that it forces a rethink about the whole of the constitutional arrangements for the rest of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Much like the rest of us
    That's something I've read/seen a lot and it always baffles me when it's used by the BT campaign, why would you try and convince someone one to stay in a union with what is essentially "but it's ok! It's sh*t for all of us!" (not saying that's what you're doing, just commenting on my experience!)

I hadn't realised that BT used the "we are all ignored anyway" argument - it does seem a little silly as a reason to persuade staying together. Of course it could just be a case of "misery likes company" My point is that pretty much _everywhere_ in the UK outside London is ignored by government - Scotland isn't being singled out for bad treatment. Far too much emphasis is placed on what the City wants, and not enough on the needs elsewhere in the country.

I don't really have an opinion in it - I definitely think it's a massive risk for Scotland and I think a devo max option may be the best solution all round. It's going to be interesting to see what happens though, either way.

My REAL opinion is that I will die laughing if they vote yes because my parents are holidaying in Scotland the week of the referendum and, to me, if it's a yes vote it will be because of them and no other reason whatsoever.
    You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

Ginny Weasley

MERCI POUR LE VENIN

Quote Originally Posted by Rosasaurr View Post
    I don't really have an opinion in it - I definitely think it's a massive risk for Scotland and I think a devo max option may be the best solution all round. It's going to be interesting to see what happens though, either way.
    I think "interesting" here is used in the sense of the ancient curse "may you live in interesting times" If Scotland votes for independence, it will have huge consequences both there, and for the rest of the UK. TBH, I'm not sure anyone can even predict all of them.

Does anyone have a good article or something I can read? I sound like a complete dumbo but all I know is it's about Scotland becoming independent. I don't see why that affects the UK.

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast