Thread: Triple forward helix - bumps and possible migration/infection

Default Triple forward helix - bumps and possible migration/infection

Hi peeps! I need some advice... Sorry it'd wordy, just trying to include all possible useful info! x

I had my single forward helix turned into a triple back in March. (By my usual fantastic piercer who I've never had issues with before.) I had one each side of the original piercing, at his recommendation based on the space below and how they would look. There was definitely enough space and I could see nothing going wrong.......

I did the salt soaks correctly yet the top one stayed swollen after the initial bloody and sore phase, so I begun taking ibuprofen once a day to bring it down. It worked. But a bump then appeared on it after about a month. I read through Spike's thread about this (thank you!) and I went to my GP and got some Fusidin cream. The bump remained. I occasionally salt soak it still. I was giving it some time to hopefully sort itself out - this was probably my biggest fail.

Yesterday, I was looking at them in the mirror closely and now the other new one (at the bottom) has a bump too! On top of this, they both look as if they have moved - having read up yesterday about rejection and migration and from actually looking at the piercings, I THINK this is just an illusion due to the bumps opposed to them actually migrating but I can't be certain.

The piercings aren't bloody, and I've never found anything gooe on them. I get some crusty bits on the back though in the mornings. It's only 5 months so I wasn't that worried?

I've never had issues like this with any piercings before, only my navel which had a bump but I had the jewellery changed to titanium and it sorted itself out. I now only have titanium in piercings.

I realise I may need to suck it up and take the newest two out out but I really want to try all I can before I do so! I was going to give it a fortnight or so if anyone has any recommendations which might help! Should I try my GP for antibiotics in case they are actually infected?

I am looking at taking out the middle one (which I had done years ago, is fully healed, and never caused me any problems) in the hope it might help as the bar is stupidly long now (the piercer put a longer one in it for me as the other two were going to swell). IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN TRY?!

Thanks in advance!

They're still relatively new for cartilage piercings, my industrial is 8 months old and still crusts, my helix is god knows how many years and still crusts occasionally so don't worry too much about that. They don't sound like they're infected, signs of infection include excessive pain/throbbing, excessive swelling, oozing dark yellow/green smelly pus, hot to touch, excessive redness. If you really are concerned, I'd go and see your piercer so they can have a proper look at them. In the mean time, I wouldn't mess with them and try the LITHA method (leave it the hell alone) as most people find this works best.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will be along soon to give you more advice but hopefully you'll get it sorted.
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog| Instagram

All sounds pretty normal for cartilage piercings tbh. I don't think you should worry too much. They certainly don't sound infected.
    I reckon you should go back to your piercer for an in-person assessment, make sure you've got the best possible fit of jewellery. The middle one at least should probably go back to its normal sized jewellery.

Other than that, rinse them in the shower, LITHA, try not to sleep on them or fiddle with them etc.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Thanks for your help guys I feel a bit less stressed now!

I have indeed been trying the LITHA idea (with the exception of gently removing crusty bits as I work in retail and it can look pretty f'ing disgusting) but unfortunately I can't do much about the sleeping thing - I've tried sleeping on the other side but I tend to end up back on the pierced side by morning :( I'm trying to train myself to sleep with only the top of my head on the pillow so my ear isn't touching it or the bed!

I am really worried about these bumps though and how the Fusidin didn't do anything - if anything, they are worse as the bumps are bigger and make the bars look like they've moved. Is that normal? I wouldn't say the piercings are hot to the touch but they are a bit red and sore, especially when the jewellery moves although I am aware of them even when they're not being touched. It's almost like an itchy feeling although not quite, it's hard to explain.

I can't get back to my piercer for a few weeks (it's not local to me) and unfortunately the three closest to me are fricking awful and I'd trust advice on Yahoo Answers more than I would any advice from them! :-O

Try sleeping on a travel/doughnut pillow so there's no pressure on your ear?
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue