Thread: Apadravya.... Again? (My experience - long post!)

Default Apadravya.... Again? (My experience - long post!)

Disclaimer – This is not meant as expert advice. It is my story and goes on a bit!

I got a prince albert in 2002. After stretching to 4mm, I got an apadravya in 2009. I was never happy with the positioning and after about 6 months it was retired. After about a year with jewellery free junk, I was fed up of peeing from two holes (one of which was pointing straight at my right thigh and the only option was to block it with a finger; pee all over your finger or leg??)

I refitted a 3.2mm CBR; before going to 4mm. It remained as such until 2011 when I gave into the nagging in my head and had an apadravya again. This time, I marked the positioning myself. Due to the permanently stretched PA hole, it was prone to leaking and pinching and I stretched up to 3.2mm.

With that and with perfect positioning, I thought that was the end.

In late 2013, the thought of a second apadravya tweaked my imagination. 'One is enough and where the hell did that stupid idea emerge from?’ I said but the voice would not be quieted and on the 11th December, I found myself walking like John Wayne out of Tattoo Crazy, Cambridge with apadravya No. 3. Impressed with the studio, my healing went perfectly but I was never entirely happy with the placing; it was just a tiny bit off. In February I had to remove both piercings for several hours. I managed to get one back in but the newer piercing shut up shop and disappeared.

Having only just gone through the initial healing, I was gutted and that voice kept chirping at me to get it done again…. So, having given it time to heal, I visited the studio to check that the scar tissue wouldn’t be an issue and arranged to come back.

Having gone through this on three occasions, I knewwhat to expect and what I needed:

Pure Sea salt flakes
    Lucozade Sport
    Medical tape
    Low adherent dressing
    Cling film
    Fine Marker Pen
    Antibacterial wipes
    Emla
    Ibuprofen

Preparations began a few weeks beforehand, zinc and vitamin supplements as well as a good diet. The night before, I marked myself for positioning. I realised that it’s all relative to the view point; and that’s why the previous piercing looked off.

The next day, Wednesday 13th August, I got up nice and early and notice that the skin has similar properties to blotting paper and the fine line has turned rather thick! I do my best to clean it off and remark it. I took my dog for a walk, did the hoovering etc. so that when I got home I could put my feet up. I’ve had two apadravyas done with no pain relief; I’ve paid my dues and feel no need to prove myself! I’d carefully tested Emla and had no negative reaction; it worked brilliantly last time and so I slap it on, wrap the chappy up in cling film and use medical tape to secure it in place. I then used more tape to keep it pointing skywards so that the Emla won’t pool to the end.

I ate a decent breakfast; took a shower, applied fresh Emla, rewrap in cling film and set off to the studio. I know my nerves are going to make me need to pee frequently and I factor this into the plan. I park the car, walk across town having a few sips of Lucozade to keep my mouth from turning into the Sahara, pass the studio to check that it’s open and hasn’t gotten suddenly scarier and then to the best public toilet I can find.

I wash my hands, enter a cubicle, desperately trying to avoid touching anything and wipe my hands with antibacterial wipes before cleaning off the Emla. To avoid the horror of the cling film bursting and the awkwardness of explaining why I have a white cream over the inside of my boxers to the piercer, I’d brought along a spare pair. Fortunately they were unneeded and the cling film remained intact; also avoiding a very tricky underpants change whilst avoiding placing unshod feet onto the floor of a public toilet…. One last pee before a quick touch up with the pen and I’m out of there, dumping the used cling film in the bin outside.

My pulse has been elevated for ages but by this stage, it’s going crazy. I feel sick. I feel hot and am starting to sweat. I wash a couple of Ibuprofen down, I’ve got some banging music in my earphones, keeping me focussed and motivated to get this done. I walk towards the studio, predictably stalling at the last minute. I stand just at the corner of the road pretending to check my phone, the urge to call it off grows but I coach myself that it’s now or never; I’ve a week off work, I’ve no commitments and every minute I waste allows the Emla to wear off.

I practically march towards the shop, half expecting to walk straight past but find myself walking in and straight up to the counter. The tattoo studio swinging street sign is in contrast to the rest of the place which is light, professional and inviting. There’re two customers waiting to the side and I pray that they’re here for tattoos and aren’t going to delay my ever increasing reception of pain. Fortunately, the piercer appears, asks me to fill in the required form whilst she checks she has the right barbell, prepares the piercing room and I’m invited back. As I follow, the inevitability of what is about to happen sets in. There’s no turning back and strangely I feel myself calming down.

The piercing room is small but not cramped and although there is no ceiling to the rest of the studio, there is no sensation of a lack of privacy. Suddenly I’m lying on my back with my pants down feeling somewhat vulnerable but mostly confused as to why it doesn’t feel anywhere near as strange as it should be. I fight the urge to excuse my now terrified and practically inverted penis, mainly because I can’t blame the temperature as it’s a hot day.

The blotting effect of the pen I used has continued and the piercer remarks the spot and checks I am happy. Despite it blotting, the marks showed her where I’d like it and feeling quite calm I tell her to go for it. She wastes little time before I feel the uncomfortable pinch of the clamps and I fear that the pain relief has been ineffective. I'm told to breath in and then to breath out. I’m tensing up as I anticipate the next stage and lift my head and look down to see that the needle is already through and the jewellery is about to go in. Emla, you officially rock. After, the piercer makes it obvious that I’ve started to bleed quite a lot. I’m not too surprised as I’ve become slightly slower to clot that when I had the Prince Albert done. After a few minutes, I’m wrapped up in a rubber glove and am walking out of the studio.

My brain is telling me to walk like a cowboy but I’m still feeling nothing at all. As I near home, I get a sudden unwelcome sensation; I need to pee. By the time I’m in the house, the feeling has become somewhat urgent. I was really hoping this wouldn’t happen for a few hours and I’m desperately trying to wash my hands before I have to remove a rubber glove by lifting it over the barbell. I nervously opt to cut the glove away and am faced with a rather grim picture. I’d forgotten just how brightly coloured fresh clots are, I’m still bleeding and it generally looks nasty. I know that peeing into a water filled cup will make it more comfortable and I’m fighting to hold on as the sound of the tap filling the cup goes through my head.

Finally, I’m sitting the wrong way round on the toilet and am good to go but as much as I want to relieve myself slowly to avoid disturbing any clots this is going to be a high pressure hose type affair and it doesn’t go nicely. It stings and restarts the bleeding which although very light around the jewellery it's coming out quite heavily from the urethra and is a little disturbing. I finish up by cleaning myself up a little, carefully constructing a protective hat for my new piercing out of dressing and tape; shaped to protect the barbell from being touched, add some more dressing, tape and put a sanitary towel around it. My boxers are tight enough to hold the whole thing in place and I retire to the sofa for the afternoon.

For the rest of the day, I have a few more toilet visits. Each time the bleeding has slowed/stopped only to resume after peeing. I wash my hands thoroughly before touching anything and replace with fresh dressing. At bedtime, I do the same but also put the whole lot into a sock and sleep on a towel. I wake a few times due to unwelcome nocturnal activity, which is best described as unpleasant as opposed to painful.

I’ve clearly bled a bit over night but nothing too bad and I take a shower. I clean myself up and have a sea salt soak and once I’ve gently dried myself, I get the first chance to really look. The bar is way too long (I’d specified 34mm based on my other apadravya) but the placement is absolutely perfect, so I’m very happy. I put some more dressing on as I’m still producing the odd drop of blood. This continues for the rest of the day but I even manage a Pilates session (on DVD as the gym is completely out of the question!). By day three, I’ve made it to the gym for a careful session and I’m contemplating leaving off the dressing but the occasional drop of blood still threatens post peeing.

Fast forward. It’s now almost two weeks since and can’t remember when I last bled. Sea salt soaks twice daily and a little clean up but generally I’ve left it alone. There’s not been any real pain, with the exception when I was a little quick to pull it out of my pants and it caught the top ball. Ouchy.

34mm was too long, even for an initial barbell. I’ll get that changed when it’s been in a while longer, I've a 28mm ready but I think even that is too long for the final item. Otherwise it’s going just as I hoped. Here’s to hoping this one lasts!
    Last edited by Dilberto; 11-15-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Obviously a bit late to say so now but for future reference (or for anyone else reading) Ibuprofen thins the blood/reduces clot-ability, so that's probably why it bled so much initially. Aspirin does the same.
    For pre-emptive treatment of swelling, arnica helps. For pre-emptive pain relief try paracetamol.

Happy healing
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Couldn't you cover the hole with the foreskin (if you have one)?
    Piercings: 3x Lobe (L), Single Upper Lobe (R), Conch (R), 1.6mm Septum

To do list: Angel Bites, Tongue, Nipples, Navel, Tragus.

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    Obviously a bit late to say so now but for future reference (or for anyone else reading) Ibuprofen thins the blood/reduces clot-ability, so that's probably why it bled so much initially. Aspirin does the same.
    For pre-emptive treatment of swelling, arnica helps. For pre-emptive pain relief try paracetamol.

Happy healing
    True, it may well have played a part but I am definitely prone to bleeding more than I used to. Peeing so soon afterwards wasn't part of the plan and definitely caused problems but ultimately, these can be proper bleeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1 View Post
    Couldn't you cover the hole with the foreskin (if you have one)?
    1. Where's the fun in that?
    2. I don't have one!

It should also be noted that chamomile thins the blood quite well

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    It should also be noted that chamomile thins the blood quite well
    Does it? Learn something new every day here
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue