Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I use contact lense solution for my septum? Need advice today!!

Default Can I use contact lense solution for my septum? Need advice today!!

I'm getting my septum pierced on Monday and as far as I know the shop doesn't supply aftercare..which has caused me a lot of stress because I've had to spend the last 5 hours online seeing if anywhere around me sells some...there's nowhere. I could buy some online but the earliest it'd get to me is Wednesday...most likely Thursday. I know I could make my own solution but I don't want to risk messing it up..also I'm terrible with pain so I will most likely make myself think I'm in too much pain to mix anything and wait for it to cool down.
    The closet thing I can find to piercing aftercare is saline solution for contact lenses. Can I use this at least for the first 3 or 4 days or is it not the same as piercing solution?

Thanks for your help

Well, for starters, does it have more than two ingredients? (list them)
    Piercings: 3x Lobe (L), Single Upper Lobe (R), Conch (R), 1.6mm Septum

To do list: Angel Bites, Tongue, Nipples, Navel, Tragus.

You could just rinse in the shower and LITHA, it's a method that works well for a lot of people.
    Hi I'm Helen...
    Current: Tongue 14g, Septum 14g, Lobes 14g, Faux Snug(R)(helix 14g & conch 14g), Daith 16g(L), High Lobe 14g(L & R), Double Helix 14g(L)
    Retired: 2nd Lobes, Tragus(R), Nostril, Lip, Nipples (L & R), Navel, Wrist MD(R)
    Want: Tragus(R), Forward Helix(R)
    Tattoos: 2 - Cover up (faded badly done heart) 3 Big red roses with green leaves, 2 butterflies and a ladybird, 13hr clock with filigree frame and dotwork face, 1 terrible japanese?! symbol - to be covered up soon I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1 View Post
    Well, for starters, does it have more than two ingredients? (list them)
    Copied straight from the product description..

The solution contains sodium chloride and cosmocil, 0.0002% and an antimicrobial buffer system. The buffer system provides protection against microbial contamination.

I'll confess that I have used contact lens solution in the past, but only as an emergency and, to be fair, it didn't seem to do anything either way. I mean, it goes in your eye, so it can't be THAT bad! But would I recommend it? No, not really. It's full of loads of other chemicals that you don't want (some contain anti-fungals or preservatives, I believe).

Making your own saline is dead easy though. 1/4 teaspoon to 8oz boiling water, let it cool, done. Wouldn't use it in my eyes though! If you really don't want to make your own saline though, the LITHA method is fine. I was told to soak my nipple piercing twice a day for six weeks and I think the first time I did was after two months, when it was downsized just to soothe it.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Bananasundaee View Post
    Copied straight from the product description..

The solution contains sodium chloride and cosmocil, 0.0002% and an antimicrobial buffer system. The buffer system provides protection against microbial contamination.
    I thought you were saying you had it already. These substances might be safe for contact with your eyes, but the bloodstream? I'd be very hesitant about what can get into my body through my blood.

I don't think it is appropriate to go out and buy something like this to use other than how it is prescribed for safe use. Keep cutting small corners like this and one day shiz might have consequences. Don't worry about the aftercare starting days or weeks after getting the piercing. Buy the right stuff, even if you have to wait.
    Piercings: 3x Lobe (L), Single Upper Lobe (R), Conch (R), 1.6mm Septum

To do list: Angel Bites, Tongue, Nipples, Navel, Tragus.

Or just rinse it in the shower and LITHA.

I wouldn't use contact lens solution for anything other than contact lenses. I do however make up my own SSS if I feel the need to soak something.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

You guys saying to LITHA...I really don't understand how you can advise that,to be fair I've only ever had ear lobe piercings so I can't say much about any other piercings but every video I've watched or things that I have read online say that if you don't clean your septum piercing regularly for at least the first week then all this crust forms and it's so painful..they've likened the pain to glass scraping through a wound. So as much as I appreciate the advise, I'm definitely not going to LITHA lol ��

The LITHA method can be advised because that's generally what you do if you hurt yourself. If you cut yourself, you clean it (usually in plain water) and leave it alone and it heals. I appreciate that piercings heal differently but it is the same process.

If you don't want to LITHA that's fine, but make sure you get medical saline or make your own, using sea salt, and remember to rinse with plain water after. Other things that might help are camomile compresses (brew a cup of camomile tea and then hold the hot tea bag to your piercing. When it cools, dip in the tea to heat it up again and repeat) or emu oil (or any natural oil, such as coconut or jojoba) massages.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

You really shouldn't worry so much, nasal passages do an awful lot to keep themselves clean, just leave it alone and keep it clean in the shower. I have had 20 piercings and have found leaving them alone and the shower being the best way for me none of my piercings have got infected. Use saline solution when you really need or want to but I wouldn't use contact lense solution really.
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
    Grace
    L: Conch|Rook|Lobes x2|Helix Orbital|Helix

​R: Industrial|Lobes x2|Tragus|Conch Orbital

Central Labret​|Right Nipple|HCH x2

2 tattoos & 1 subdermal implant.

Next: 3rd HCH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast