Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Septum piercing - got a few questions!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Septum piercing - got a few questions!

Hey, (I realised this is all really long so I tried highlighting the important bits but then I'd realised I'd highlighted pretty much all of it >.< cba to fix it)
    I've wanted a septum piercing for about 4 years and now I'm 18 - not in education and unemployed (gosh I'm such a bum lol) I can get it done without having to hide it from anyone.
    I've spent quite a few days researching all things septum piercing related so I'm now aware of the procedure and what to expect etc
    I was just wondering if you guys can help me with a few things...

First of all... I CANNOT FIND MY SWEET SPOT!!! I know not everyone has one or if they do some people don't have a big enough one but seriously I have spent at least 3 whole days feeling the inside of my nose and I can't take it anymore :(
    I'm aware of the fact I can get it through my cartilage but as I'm terrible with pain I will not be doing that,I'm also aware of the fact that I don't actually need to know where it is as long as my piercer does but the place where I'm thinking of going is an hour and a bit away from me so I really don't fancy going all the way there just to be told I haven't got a sweet spot.
    So can someone with a sweet spot or who has pierced someone with a sweet spot please describe in as much detail as possible exactly what this sweet spot should feel like? Or if you know you don't have a sweet spot can you tell me what the inside of your nose feels like without one so I can compare?

Secondly..I have chosen where I want to go for my piercing but they don't have a website so I can't check out their previous septum piercings or any other details. I have seen two girls (friends of a friend)with their septums pierced from there and their piercings look fine but this doesn't really help that much in reassuring me that this place is top quality. Also they are only charging 20 which someone pointed out to me implies that since they're charging such a low price they will be using cheaper quality jewellery.
    I don't have a car and hate to travel so I'm not willing to go further than 1hr 15 minutes on the bus, with that in mind I have only been able to find 3 places within that who offer septum piercings.
    The other two are somewhere that charges 30 and has lots of pictures of their septum piercings online, and somewhere that charges 35 and has 2 pictures online.
    I've pretty much ruled out the most expensive place and now it's between the cheapest place with a personal recommendation from my friend and her friends and is 50 mins away or....a bit more expensive place with a lot of pictures online of their septum piercings but no personal recommendations and an hour and 15 minutes away..
    Which would you pick?

Oh and last thing..I really want a black horseshoe in my piercing from the start because tbh I don't actually like the piercing on me with a silver horseshoe or gold, but the guy on the phone at the place I want to go said most black horseshoes are coated in something thus are not advised for new piercings. I've heard about something called niobium but I can't find it sold in the uk :(
    Do any of you know of a safe black horseshoe I can buy?

Thanks for all your help!!

Bold like that can be quite hard to read. I suggest using the capital A symbol to highlight like this instead. Control+A the whole text to revert it back to normal.

https://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/on...rbells_146.cfm - Blackline Horsehoes.

The ones without balls on are called Crescents fyi.

(and septum pinchers too apparently)

You should never let the price, up or down, have an effect on your choice of piercer, it is your body afteral, it's always worth paying for good work.

Perhaps, post a picture of yourself, or just your nose here, and tell us where you are located, if in the UK there are many users who can give recommendations for piercers. With regards to travel, I travelled 110 miles to get my most recent piercing. If the place is good, and you trust them, pay whatever is necessary for you to be satisfied.
    Last edited by Mk1; 08-08-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Piercings: 3x Lobe (L), Single Upper Lobe (R), Conch (R), 1.6mm Septum

To do list: Angel Bites, Tongue, Nipples, Navel, Tragus.

First let me say that I don't know about septum piercings, as I do not have one (and probably never will, although I suspect one would suit me).

Price should not be a deciding factor, as Mk1 said. My friend paid 20 for her septum piercing and it is fine. To be honest, I though 20 was about average for a septum piercing, rather than the lower end of the scale. I paid 25 for two cartilage piercings when I was fifteen yet, when I went to another piercer this year, was charged 36 for two cartilage piercings. Both piercers are excellent and highly knowledgable and I would recommend them both, yet one is significantly cheaper than the other. So, high price ≠ decent piercer.

Also, the thing about about black jewellery not being suitable (PVD coated titanium) isn't true. I've had PVD coated titanium in fresh piercings before and Holier Than Thou (which I know quite a few people here have been pierced at) offer it as initial jewellery. Most places don't seem to stock it, but I've had it ordered in before, so it might be worth asking for that.

As for which studio I would pick? Well, it isn't my body, and I don't really have any information, but for what it's worth I'd probably go to the place where I've seen their portfolio. I don't know. How much do you trust your friends' knowledge about piercings? Without trying to sound arrogant/snotty, I don't rate the piercer that my housemate's go to, even though they recommend him to everyone, so I go elsewhere. So if you trust their judgement, perhaps that is the place to go. =)
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by jesterxlady View Post
    First let me say that I don't know about septum piercings, as I do not have one (and probably never will, although I suspect one would suit me).

Price should not be a deciding factor, as Mk1 said. My friend paid 20 for her septum piercing and it is fine. To be honest, I though 20 was about average for a septum piercing, rather than the lower end of the scale. I paid 25 for two cartilage piercings when I was fifteen yet, when I went to another piercer this year, was charged 36 for two cartilage piercings. Both piercers are excellent and highly knowledgable and I would recommend them both, yet one is significantly cheaper than the other. So, high price ≠ decent piercer.

Also, the thing about about black jewellery not being suitable (PVD coated titanium) isn't true. I've had PVD coated titanium in fresh piercings before and Holier Than Thou (which I know quite a few people here have been pierced at) offer it as initial jewellery. Most places don't seem to stock it, but I've had it ordered in before, so it might be worth asking for that.

As for which studio I would pick? Well, it isn't my body, and I don't really have any information, but for what it's worth I'd probably go to the place where I've seen their portfolio. I don't know. How much do you trust your friends' knowledge about piercings? Without trying to sound arrogant/snotty, I don't rate the piercer that my housemate's go to, even though they recommend him to everyone, so I go elsewhere. So if you trust their judgement, perhaps that is the place to go. =)
    I've given it some thought and I agree,just because it's the cheapest doesn't mean it won't be any good.I don't really trust my friend's judgement on anything lol she's somewhat crazy so nothing seems to bother her,she didn't get her septum pierced there but she has had many piercings there,even if the piercings really hurt I don't think she'd care >.< I spoke with her friend who actually got her septum pierced there and she claims that all went well apart from it being pierced slightly wonky, I asked her if they felt for her sweet spot but she didn't really say anything but she did say she felt and heard the needle going through layers of skin which makes me think it wasn't through her sweet spot..but she says the thing that hurt the most was the clamps.
    I rang up the place and asked if they have black jewelry or if I'd have to bring my own, they said they don't have any and I'm welcome to bring my own but they really advise using what they supply as they'd most likely have trouble sterilizing my jewelry..something to do with it possibly not being pure metal or something..idk
    Tbh the only reason I'm leaning so much towards the place my friend recommended is because I've walked past it loads of times and I've got anxiety about new places so it makes me feel calmer knowing I've been near the shop and street many times before (I know..it sounds sad lol) also it's not in a busy area like a high street or anything so I'll feel a lot calmer because of that annnddd it's cheap also I already decided that's where I'm going and once I get an idea in my head that's it...

1. You don't need to find it, the piercer does.
    2. Find a good piercer, ignore prices. Mine cost 0 yet I go to the pretty much the best piercer in the North West of England.
    3. Genuine Blackline (Black PVD coated titanium) complies with EU regulations for being biocompatible, not all piercers will stock it or use it and some will only use retainers etc.

Basically you need to do research on the piercer, trust them to find your sweet spot or tell you it's not possible to pierce and you're good to go.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    1. You don't need to find it, the piercer does.
    2. Find a good piercer, ignore prices. Mine cost 0 yet I go to the pretty much the best piercer in the North West of England.
    3. Genuine Blackline (Black PVD coated titanium) complies with EU regulations for being biocompatible, not all piercers will stock it or use it and some will only use retainers etc.

Basically you need to do research on the piercer, trust them to find your sweet spot or tell you it's not possible to pierce and you're good to go.

The only reason I'm so fussed on personally finding my sweet spot is so I'll actually go there cause if there's no sweet spot then I'm definitely not going. Also if I'm unlucky enough to get a piercer who doesn't believe in the sweet spot or doesn't care lol then I want to be able to tell them where I want it (basically in the sweet spot) but make them think I'm just being fussy about the placement.
    I'm thinking of just taking one of the blackline rings from this site ( it has really good reviews) and telling them idc what they think - I want to use it. But if I do that and it gets infected thennn....I can't really complain.

You can't make a piercer use a random piece of jewellery you take in.

My my advice stands, find a good enough piercer you can trust and you won't have any issues.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    You can't make a piercer use a random piece of jewellery you take in.

My my advice stands, find a good enough piercer you can trust and you won't have any issues.
    Lol you're making it sound like I'd force them...the guy on the phone said he'd use my jewellery he just advises I use his that he supplies.

Sounds like you've made up your mind then.

Good luck!

Just noticed that you can't really see well in the second pic as it's so small but I really can't figure out how to link the picture to here..it should be simple but I can't do it :S I'm using imageshack..

So I got the piercing!!!
    I was shaking as I was signing the form before and when I sat down in the little room I was sooo nervous and felt sick...she put the clamps on which was kinda uncomfortable..like a hard pinch,went to do the needle..I almost backed out but then she just went for it and it really did hurt! not as much as I thought it would though...she said my sweet spot was quite high but looking at my piercing after it seems like she pierced lower than where she said my sweet spot was :s anyways it felt like she didn't go straight through with the needle..like she got stuck or something moved..idk, my eyes were closed but she put the needle in then seemed to move one side of my nostril and push the needle again..the pain was fairly intense especially when she put the jewellery on,but it was all done quite quickly

I looked in the mirror and really loved it but once I got home I noticed that it isn't so much crooked as it's..further to one side than the other. I'm showing you my piercing just because I thought you might want to see that I actually went through with it, but also I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it? if so will it sort itself out or will I have to get it re pierced? You guys know more than I do so feel like it's best to ask rather than come up with my own answers.

Tbh it is really bothering me that it's not perfect but I'm just hoping it will get better...

Soooooo proud of myself!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bananasundaee; 08-11-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast