Thread: Wet, Itchy Septum?

Default Wet, Itchy Septum?

I got my septum pierced 6 days ago and have experienced no trouble up until 2 days ago where it started feeling constantly moist ( the sensation is alike to my nose constantly running). It is also quite itchy. Do these symptoms indicate that I'm allergic to the metal of the piercing? If so, should I go back to my piercer and get them to change the jewellery? Can that be done this early in the healing process?
    Please help; I'm really scared!
    Also - when I feel the piercing (with clean hands), the area isn't actually damp at all? It seems to just be a feeling? Please help!
    Last edited by liza313; 07-30-2014 at 03:15 AM.

I posted this in the ask a pro thread as I saw that 1st so just copied and pasted rather than re-type
    ^^ It sounds like you are doing everything right to care for your new septum piercing, It maybe that your nose feels like its running as your body is not used to a foreign object (the jewellery) being up your nose. It is a natural body reaction to try to flush objects out (the nose produces mucus to coat & remove dust and other particles that can irritate that's it's job) for now just be careful wiping your nose keep up the aftercare minus the q-tips as they can irritate - you may want to do less of the saline in case it is drying the inside of your nose which in turn is making your nose produce more mucus and instead just rinse the piercing in the shower each day - bit tricky to begin with but just stick your nose upwards into the spray. The itching is a perfectly normal sign that a piercing is healing so that's a good sign your are doing things right.
    Hi I'm Helen...
    Current: Tongue 14g, Septum 14g, Lobes 14g, Faux Snug(R)(helix 14g & conch 14g), Daith 16g(L), High Lobe 14g(L & R), Double Helix 14g(L)
    Retired: 2nd Lobes, Tragus(R), Nostril, Lip, Nipples (L & R), Navel, Wrist MD(R)
    Want: Tragus(R), Forward Helix(R)
    Tattoos: 2 - Cover up (faded badly done heart) 3 Big red roses with green leaves, 2 butterflies and a ladybird, 13hr clock with filigree frame and dotwork face, 1 terrible japanese?! symbol - to be covered up soon I hope!

What material where you pierced with?
    Hi I'm Helen...
    Current: Tongue 14g, Septum 14g, Lobes 14g, Faux Snug(R)(helix 14g & conch 14g), Daith 16g(L), High Lobe 14g(L & R), Double Helix 14g(L)
    Retired: 2nd Lobes, Tragus(R), Nostril, Lip, Nipples (L & R), Navel, Wrist MD(R)
    Want: Tragus(R), Forward Helix(R)
    Tattoos: 2 - Cover up (faded badly done heart) 3 Big red roses with green leaves, 2 butterflies and a ladybird, 13hr clock with filigree frame and dotwork face, 1 terrible japanese?! symbol - to be covered up soon I hope!

Thanks - I still feel that I want it checked by my piercing though as it does feel strange

I'm not sure what metal was used...I'm going to call up my piercer in an hour or so and ask what they think

Piercer said it was highly unlikely that it was an allergic reaction (I think she said that it was titanium?) What is this damp feeling? I'm worried!
    Last edited by Boo; 07-30-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: merged posts

If it's titanium then that's ok. The damp could just be lymph which is a clear/white discharge produced when the piercing is healing. The damp feeling can also just be your nose getting used to having metal in it, you'll get used to it. Stop touching it and make sure you're only using 1/4tsp to 250ml water for your sea salt soaks and rinse with plain water after.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks - would pain killers help to stop the 'damp' sensation? I couldn't sleep at all last night because of it

I doubt it, if it's bothering you that much you may want to reconsider if this is the right piercing for you :/
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Could it be something weird like the metal is cold? I know our weather has been good lately (if you're from the uk) but when I had my septum pierced it was December and I went for a weekend away in a log cabin not long after I had it done, the cold wind when I was out on the new piercing kept making me feel like my nose was running but it actually wasn't. But like Hazel says if it's keeping you up at night maybe it's not for you? It seems to be a bit on the extreme side of annoying.
    Hi I'm Sam

Metal; 1mm nostril
    1.2mm- 3x L lobes, 1x R lobe, 2x R helix, septum, faux rook, faux snug, outer conch
    1.6mm- L conch, tongue, navel
    14mm lobes
    Stomach dermal
    Mods; Breast enlargement, lip fillers, semi-permanent eyebrows
    Ink; 70 hours in total
    Retired: Lots 😣