Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Swelling on Nipple?

Default Odd Swelling on Nipple?

So I'm kind of concerned about my nipple piercing. It's five, nearly six, months old and the entrance hole is really swollen. No big deal, nipples are finicky. However, the swelling looks odd. The skin is peeling a little so it feels and looks grazed (but doesn't appear to be migrating/rejecting) but there's also a little 'window' of opaque swollen skin. Bit like a bite? Anyway, sometimes this bit looks yellow or red, where the channel has filled with lymph or blood. The exit hole is fine. Is this normal for nipple swelling or is there something more going on? It's been like this a little less than a week.

Thanks,
    Jx
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

I had this on and off with mine for a year or more, I'd say it's normal.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Oh thank goodness! I was worried it might be something more serious or that I might have to take the jewellery out! I'm doing SSS and emu oil to treat it, which seems to soothe it.

Thanks! ^_^
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

I have this at the moment on one of mine, its been going on for a few months (on and off). I've been using Emu oil to stop the skin flaking and just showered the rest.
    Last edited by Bigspanners; 07-29-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Hi, Call me Rob.

Current:
    Nothing.
    Retired: Hafada 3, Tounge, Nipple (Left), Surface (Right Wrist) & Navel x2, PA. Horizontal Nipples 2mm.
    Wish List: Vertical Nipples 2mm, Ampallang.
    Ink: Scorpion left shoulder & dream catcher left arm.

I Like Being Shiny

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I had that with mines for a while, I eventually used a sterile needle to pop it when it looked yellow (mines would 'fill' but never drain out the piercing hole) which for me kept it away for a while so it's come back every few weeks/months for a while rather than most days - although I wouldn't recommend doing that without a good sterile needle!
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys. =) I went to see my piercer today as my conch needed downsizing so I asked her to have a look (I wasn't sure if she would or not when I posted this, as I'd had it pierced elsewhere). She said that it's fairly normal and it just looks inflamed at the moment (to be fair, the swelling had reduced massively since this morning; it swells like crazy in the shower. Wondering if water is getting inside? Or maybe it's the heat?) but not to be worried about it, unless it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    I had that with mines for a while, I eventually used a sterile needle to pop it when it looked yellow (mines would 'fill' but never drain out the piercing hole) which for me kept it away for a while so it's come back every few weeks/months for a while rather than most days - although I wouldn't recommend doing that without a good sterile needle!

Ah, see I don't think mine can drain properly either. It's pierced diagonally (deliberately) and it's the upper half that's swollen, so gravity can't pull it out of the piercing via the shortest route (although I think this is why the lower hole is crusting/scabbing. It's not inflamed itself, but all the grot from the other half is flowing down). It did leak a lot in the shower earlier though, so I rinsed it lots. Don't think I could pop it with a needle myself! Even though I've had my nipple pierced twice, since having it done a second time I've been really weird about it! I cringe just at the idea of changing the jewellery myself (which I did at four months with the first one; I know, I know, bad idea).
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I use one of nicks fresh needles (obv, not sharing needles!) that he has for his insulin pens and they're so sharp and thin that you genuinely can't feel it, esp if you're 'popping' something since it's only going through a few layers of skin over the lymph, but I'm pretty sure I have a non-standard situation with easy, free and instant access to sharp, sterile needles as needed.
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Sorry to be a bit off topic, and hope you don't mind me being personal, but what was your nipple like before it was re-pierced? I've seen on a couple of your posts it started to reject and you eventually took it out. I retired mine about four years ago after being pierced for about a year, they were always a bit crusty which I thought was a problem and I was given some rather awful advice about hydrogen peroxide! Now they feel quite normal, but have a skin coloured splodge either side of my nipple where the piercing holes were, only they're about 4/5mm big rather than 1.6mm big (the gauge of the bar that was there). I wanted to get them repierced, it's under debate with my husband and I think he's worried I'll have major problems with them again (even though the problems were mostly caused by myself) wouldn't be for months yet as I've just had a few ear piercings so will obviously let them heal.

So basically I wanted to compare my nips to yours :P as it sounds like yours were in a bit of a bad way too. And to offer helpfulness I also had a lump on my nipple piercing, when I had a hot shower if I gently pressed on the bump pus would drain out of the piercing hole, but then it would fill up again. It did go by itself after a while though
    Hi I'm Sam

Metal; 1mm nostril
    1.2mm- 3x L lobes, 1x R lobe, 2x R helix, septum, faux rook, faux snug, outer conch
    1.6mm- L conch, tongue, navel
    14mm lobes
    Stomach dermal
    Mods; Breast enlargement, lip fillers, semi-permanent eyebrows
    Ink; 70 hours in total
    Retired: Lots 😣

That's all right, it's not personal at all. ^_^ By skin coloured do you mean a lighter/whiter splotch than the colour of the rest of the nipple? If so, I have exactly that on one side of my nipple (the other side, well. Let's just say didn't remove it when it began to reject but instead had it removed for me. Oops.); it kind of follows where the fistula would have been, but, as you say, looks much wider than 1.6mm, then stops at a little slit which was once the exist hole. This wasn't the side that was rejecting (I got what I've seen referred to as the 'sinking ship'; so only one half was being pushed out, if that makes sense?) The other side I have a nice, diagonal white, raised line from edge to centre, which, oddly, is less noticeable than the other side. Since repiercing, this line has become horizontal. (I have no idea, nipples are weird.)

Quick timeline so it's easier to order things in your head; January 2013, nipple pierced. June 2013, badly caught piercing, rejection began. July 2013, nipple piercing torn out. February 2014, nipple repierced (a year after initial piercing, seven months after removal). And then now, which puts my repierce at five and a half months old.

When I was first repierced these scars went from being not overly noticeable to very white and obvious. However, as time has past, they've become less noticeable again. I don't know if it was just the swelling/redness of the initial piercing that made them appear more noticeable or if they actually got worse, and it is only in these last few weeks that the exit hole has darkened to a more 'nipple' colour, but they do seem to be healing well and I have noticed the scarring is fading. The slit that was the exit hole has more or less disappeared now! This may be because I'm doing massages again (I did initially after it was ripped out, then stopped after a couple of months and didn't start again until recently) or if, because my scarring is still relatively 'fresh' it's still healing or if somehow having it repierced is contributing to the scarring healing up better. I'm really not sure. However, I got my nipple repierced (rather than my right nipple pierced as a 'replacement', which is what everyone else seemed to think I should do) because in my mind a) it couldn't get any worse, if a repierce rejected and I'd rather only have one scarred nipple than two and b) to have something to detract from the scarring.

My boyfriend (who, other than me, is pretty much the only person who sees it regularly) says he really doesn't see the scarring now because of the repierce (because he's too busy oggling pretty jewellery rather than the scars! =P)

The only issues I've really come across in having a repierce is that I used to get lymph build up in the exit hole slit, above the new exit hole. But I used to get that a little before it was repierced anyway. (Although I did have some dry in there and wouldn't come out for about two months, even with soaks!) But this stopped after about three months or so and hasn't been an issue for a while now. I think the left hand side (the line) might be restricting swelling a little, as whenever that side swells it stops right where the scarring is. Obviously, this wouldn't be a problem for you.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, or I've not explained anything particularly clearly feel free to ask! =)
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

That's really fascinating thanks so much. I do mean skin coloured/whitish splodges - skin coloured rather than nipple coloured. I don't think I'd have a problem with the old exit holes as I don't have any lol, there are just the scars it's weird how your body works. I understand about re piercing rather than piercing the other one - one of the reasons I tried to re pierce my inverse navel was to hide the scar, and all I say about my nipples is at least they match! I am soo very tempted to get them redone but my husband doesn't want me to, and he says he never notices the scars, he's just worried about me I suppose. I just think I've got so much more knowledge now. Then again my inverse navel rejected three times - if I'd have given up the scarring would have been so much less.

Did you do a diary? I'd be really interested to read your updates
    Hi I'm Sam

Metal; 1mm nostril
    1.2mm- 3x L lobes, 1x R lobe, 2x R helix, septum, faux rook, faux snug, outer conch
    1.6mm- L conch, tongue, navel
    14mm lobes
    Stomach dermal
    Mods; Breast enlargement, lip fillers, semi-permanent eyebrows
    Ink; 70 hours in total
    Retired: Lots 😣

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast