Thread: changing tragus

Question changing tragus

I had my tragus pierced march 24th so it's 3 months old now, and the place where I got it pierced only pierces with surgical steel. My piercing was perfect for 3 months, and then a couple days ago it randomly had its first flare up. I didn't bump it, sleep on it, or do anything wrong. I just cleaned it with saline solution as I had not cleaned it for a few days and thought I should and it randomly got super pissed off. I just ignored the pain and went to bed, and the next day I had a bump on it. Since I didn't hit it or do anything I think would have irritated it I concluded that it flared up because I may be allergic to surgical steel as it has some nickel in it. I bought bioplast labret studs and went to the place where I got it pierced for a change and explained to the piercer that I think the surgical steel caused it to flare up. He said that he can't change it at the moment because the bioplast labret that I want to change into had rough edges and can aggravate the piercing since It's already aggravated, and it's swollen and he said that I have to heal the bump first and come back in a week when the piercing's calmed down and he'll change it. This was two days ago and the bump has shrunk and It's gotten better and it will probably be all good next week when I go back. My question is should I keep the original surgical steel labret in, or change it to the bioplast labret knowing that the surgical steel has nickel but the labret has one or two rough edges? He also said that since the bioplast labret gem screws in, if my tragus swells up a lot it could swallow it and I'd have to get it cut out. It has never swelled up extremely, just how much they usually do when it was first healing and when I had the flare up a couple days ago. So should I get it changed in a few days when it's calmed down?

You'd be better off putting titanium in it and getting a good piercer to change it over for you. Most bioplast is pretty cheap and has rough edges like you say and will irritate such a fresh piercing. I'm surprised the piercer would even put it in for you.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

They do free piercing changes, and I've read that bioplast is good for new piercings?

Quote Originally Posted by childoftheuniverse View Post
    They do free piercing changes, and I've read that bioplast is good for new piercings?
    Bioplast is acceptable for new piercings as it's biocompatible but many of their push fit stems have very sharp, jagged edges as your piercer mentioned.

Many piercers will not just accept any jewellery someone brings in as they have no idea what material it's really made from, you have a reaction and you could technically blame them. Mine will do free changes but only with their own jewellery. Also a very small end can become embedded a lot faster.

In other words your piercer is right, wait until it's not flaring up but you could go one step further and get something of high quality put in there, especially seeing as they'll let you bring in your own jewellery!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I'm surprised any decent piercer would even pierce with surgical steel rather than titanium.
    Piercings: 3mm left lobe, 3mm right lobe, left nostril piercing.
    Tattoos: Hipster skull on right lower leg.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPlays View Post
    I'm surprised any decent piercer would even pierce with surgical steel rather than titanium.
    In Amercia they nearly all do! Some do in the UK as well despite it being against EU regulations.

I live in Canada. They're actually a reputable place for tattoos and piercings, however a couple of people I've talked to told me that they're not that good to get pierced at because of the jewelry and the lack of options (they barely have any variety of jewelry). On their website they brag about how their jewelry is so good that it's surgical steel, and I got it pierced before I knew anything about titanium or surgical steel.