Thread: A few questions on an ear piercing

Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning

Default A few questions on an ear piercing

Hello world,

I currently have a small (6mm) Stretch piercing on one ear lobe, and I'd like to get my other ear pierced - and in time - stretched to match the current one. A few questions though;

- I previously had the (currently unpierced lobe) Pierced. But infection set in, so I removed it. This was over a year ago. When squeezing the ear lobe I can't feel any bumps or similar - but is there anything I should be made aware of when repiercing in the same place?

- I have a 2mm titanium smooth segment ring. Would I be able to use this as the first piece of jewellery, or is 2mm too large for a new piercing? (ie ask the piercer to use the 2mm ring). If 2mm is too large what's the maximum thickness I can use safely from the get go.

- Following the infection which set in on the previous piercing. Would it be better to use the aforementioned titanium ring from day one (fitted by the percer). Rather than one of those ball and stud type jobs which seem common (rightly or wrongly?). I'd of thought a ring wouldn't clamp the ear lobe, lead to less or no pressure, and would allow for faster healing. Or is this assumption of mine off the mark?

- Penultimately what's the average price these days for an ear lobe piercing. I wouldn't want to pay over the odds, though fully understand that cheapest (especially with percings!) Is not best. But you know - ball park figures.

- And lastly, can anyone point me to a solid piercer in the South London area? I cycle everywhere so within 20 or 30 miles of South London would be fine. I'd rather travel further to get it done correctly, by someone in the know!

Many thanks to you if you can answer any of the above for me.

If there's no scarring it should be fine to be repierced where it was.

You can have it pierced at 2mm, doubtful a piercer will let you take in your own jewellery as there's guidelines to follow and you won't be able to prove what material it's made from etc.

Bars are better than rings for initial healing, so no, rings are usually worse as they spin and twist in the healing piercing delaying healing.

In/around London you'd be looking from 15 for a standard lobe piercing, it will probably go up for larger gauge.

We have a recommended piercers thread with this info for that area:

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post

South East England
    London: Bromley: Darren - Valhalla
    London: Camden: Julie - Cold Steel
    London: Camden: Reka - Hell to Pay
    London (South East): Vix - Jesters Tattoo and Piercing Works

Southend: Studio nine
    Worthing: Quentin - Kalima
    Also all this talk of infection was probably not an infection. Genuine infections in piercings are rare. What most people find is discomfort and problems from metal allergies where steel has been used or poor aftercare.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning

Hazel, thank you for the swift concise reply. I can't believe I didn't think to check the forums for a reputable piercer - must be getting old..

Thanks, it's you and the other regular expert posters here that make the forums the den of information it is! (Not trying to lick your boots here, but credit where credit is due).

No problem, hope it goes well for you
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<