Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to give up on a piercing?

Default When to give up on a piercing?

I have a ten month old tragus piercing that's just been difficult from the start, and now I'm starting to wonder whether it's never going to improve and I just need to stop wasting time and effort on it.

About two months in, after the worst of the swelling had gone down, there was a bump. From reading this forum, I expected that. I did all the obvious things (titanium jewellery, SSS, etc) but there was never any improvement. In fact, I've been stuck in a 2-3 week cycle where the bump increases in size and gets redder and more tender until the slightest touch causes it to bleed. After the bleeding stage is over, it shrinks and dries up slightly, before the bumps starts to get bigger and the cycle starts again. It's been like this for over six months.

i decided to treat it as a staph infection and got Fucidin cream, but even that hasn't had much effect. Tried LITHA, but if anything that makes things worse.

I keep telling myself that it just HAS to heal eventually, and with patience and time it will. Then I got a rook piercing, which has been a piece of cake in comparison, so it's making me think that whatever's wrong with this tragus - be it a chronic staph infection or something else - might not, actually, resolve itself after all.

I don't want to take it out, I really like the piercing and I've spent so much time on it already, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts or advice?

10 months is still initial healing stage.

Did you use fucidin H or just fucidin?

Have you tried bioplast or ptfe jewellery?

Could it be a placement issue?

Do you sleep on it? Touch it?

Is the jewellery too long? What jewellery is it?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I realise it's normal not to be fully healed at this stage (it's probably the only reason I'm persevering with the bloody thing!).

i was given Fucidin even though I asked for Fucidin H. The GP was very terse and said OF COURSE I would have to take it out immediately, and even tried to give me oral antibiotics initially. I knew that wasn't necessary. I didn't realise the error on the prescription until after I'd left.

Haven't tried bioplast, no. Have never owned any bioplast jewellery. Worth a go? Why would that be better tolerated than titanium, out of interest?

I honestly wouldn't know whether it's a placement issue. The placement looks fine (I could upload a terrible photo if that helps?)

Don't sleep on it, no. I have a relatively new rook piercing in the same ear and don't want to aggravate that as well.

I'm wearing a 7mm labret at the moment, which is perfect. 6mm would be too snug to screw the ball on. It was pierced with an 8mm labret.

i just wish I could figure out what is causing this constant inflammation of the piercing site. It's like a spot flaring up and down over and over and over (for 6+ months!) only without the pus (although sometimes there is a tiny bit of pus, it mainly bleeds). That can't be normal?

Titanium allergy is possible. Try bioplast or ptfe. Could just be a slow healer some of my cartilage has been like that.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

i was given Fucidin even though I asked for Fucidin H. The GP was very terse and said OF COURSE I would have to take it out immediately, and even tried to give me oral antibiotics initially. I knew that wasn't necessary. I didn't realise the error on the prescription until after I'd left.
    Fucidin / fucidin H the difference is fairly negligible, the amount of hydrocortisone your gaining isn't worth splitting hairs over. You can use a hydrocortisone based cream in small amounts like hc45 - it shouldn't hurt.
    You actually should have took the oral and the fucidin, that would have been a better plan.

whats the jewellery made from? Bio plast is worth a shot, it has just enough give to make it move.
    SPIKE
    spike_bodyjewelleryshop@hotmail.co.uk

Piercings: 16MM Lobe, 5MM PA.

Retired Piercings: Lots, removed over 25 piercings in a momment of madness!

Facebook: http://facebook.com/Bodyjewellershopspike

Titanium allergy is possible but rare... To good quality titanium extremely rare... Low quality crap then yes...it can be problematic.
    SPIKE

Hi there,

My tragus did the exact same thing on and off for months. Every time it flared up I put tea tree oil on it. One day when it dried up it just didn't come back, it was really bizarre. I wouldn't consider giving up until it's at least a year old, and even then lots of piercings take longer than that to heal.
    -x-x-

Stacey ^^

"Creativity is the common culture of being a human being" - If a dog gets depressed, it won't drink whiskey or listen to Radiohead.

I have: Lobes x 3, Conch, tragus, daith, double forward helix, navel, VCH + 1 Tattoo

Retired: Helix (twice) :'(

I'd persevere, given how young it is (unless you really can't cope with it). I've got piercings that have taken over a year to heal. Some piercings just take a while. Hope it calms down soon for you! =)
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

I agree, I'd keep going, as I said I've had cartilage flare up for around a year but they always settle in the end. Depends on how much you can be bothered though, I know many people are aggravated by it. Your choice really! I'd try a different material before giving up though.

I'd try a different material before giving up though.
    Me too.
    SPIKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast