Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to give up on a piercing?

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

It had been behaving itself until, right on cue, I could see the bump getting more swollen and redder and more tender. On Friday morning I woke up and it was feeling especially tender, and when I looked in the mirror it was oozing pus. It bled when I cleaned it, so I carried on with the SS and cotton wool until the bleeding stopped.

I decided to get another pair of lobe piercings yesterday and decided to ask the piercer's advice. He recommended ditching the labret for a ring (and I can hear people sucking their teeth already!) because he thinks that the ball of the labret sitting next to the "wound" was sustaining a moist environment, stopping the piercing from drying out and perpetuating the skin infection (and I do think it's a skin infection rather than an infected piercing). It's been 24 hours and already looks better, so we'll see.

^ be very very careful with the ring. Don't move it/twist it/spin it, don't even touch it. It could make things worse.

Are you still using the fucidin cream?

Tbh I'm surprised the piercer gave you two new piercings when you're having trouble healing one already.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Well, earlobes are usually such easy healers I don't see the problem.

Not using the Fucidin right now, no. I only tend to resume it when there's actual pus going on, because I don't like overusing antibiotics. I also read that overuse of topical antibiotics in particular can cause issues with antibiotic resistant bacteria, so I'm wary of that too.

I really do think that not being able to dry out this piercing has been the main problem, which is why I was willing to give the ring a try. It already looks loads better, and I still won't sleep on that side, so fingers crossed...
    Last edited by nocarsgo; 06-09-2014 at 12:20 PM.

you might want to get it looked at if you think its an infection, better safe than sorry

It's not infected. There's no swelling, no pain (apart from very localised tenderness when the bump has grown), no redness (apart from the bump itself), no heat, and only a small amount of pus that appears occasionally.

Basically, it has more in common with a zit than a genuine infection.

I have to say, today it's looking better than it has in ages. Usually, even when the bump is shrunken it is still noticeable (perhaps only to me) but right now there's barely any trace of it. I'll just have to wait and see whether it'll still be like this in 3-4 weeks, because usually the bump will have re grown.

Thats the question i have with my rook! Good luck!

Well... A zit is an infection, a genuine one. Just on a small scale and usually trapped in a pore.

Hopefull it stays down! Good luck! Persistence is key! My Tragus was the same! It played up for months and I got cranky and took it out! And I have regretted it ever since. Keep at it!
    Current: lobes x 6, L rook, L helix.
    retired: industrial, tragus x2, nose x 2.

I would get it looked at if I were you, just in case

I had the exact problem with my upper helix! It gave me hell for two years I thought I was placed badly that's why it would never heal but I read some posts and changed to bioplast to give it one last try to save and ever since I've never had a problem. So try switching up your jewellery :-) 10 months is still a pretty new piercing so expect it to be a little sore for a while since the initial healing time is like a year (I think). Good luck and don't give up on it just yet!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12