Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will my nose piercing shrink if I put in smaller jewellery?

Angry Will my nose piercing shrink if I put in smaller jewellery?

I got my nose pierced a week ago today, a day before my 29th. It was my first proper piercing as an adult. I got my first ear piercing at 9 months old and my second when I was about 17.

Yes it was painful. I swear I was lied to. But it was quick. And it was over soon enough. I even cried. Anyway, I asked for the smallest and she put in a 1.2mm hole with a needle, which I am guessing is a 16g. I am a bit unhappy about this because now I will have a huge hole showing on my nose.

So my question is can I put in 18g jewellery and will the hole close to that size?

You won't have a huge hole showing. That is being dramatic. Yes, you can downsize to 18g, and the piercing will shrink to that size. It may even benefit the healing, as people have found downsizing cartilage piercings to be helpful. Just get a piercer to do it, with sterilized jewellery, if you are planning to downsize while the piercing is still healing. There is .2mm difference between 16g and 18g (basically nothing).

Thank you watermelon. Obviously I want to leave it alone while it is healing.

To be honest any smaller than 1.2mm and you risk getting the cheese wire effect which will be ten times worse than a 1.2mm hole. You really wont have a 'huge hole showing', 1.2mm is dinky
    Emzii

current:
    lobes x 2 each (1 x 4mm)
    tongue
    Navel
    Outer Conch
    Septum

retired:
    scaffold
    8mm lobe
    sternum md
    left labret
    navel
    stomach surface x2
    Nostril x2
    right labret

tattoos:
    several! ask me..

Quote Originally Posted by Emzyminx View Post
    To be honest any smaller than 1.2mm and you risk getting the cheese wire effect which will be ten times worse than a 1.2mm hole. You really wont have a 'huge hole showing', 1.2mm is dinky
    Disagreeing with you on this one sorry hun.

Nostrils are typically done at 0.8mm or 1mm as standard, this is the size you'll see nostril screws coming in. I was pierced at 1mm and switch between 0.8mm and 1mm (after they were both totally healed) and have no problems.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Since you say you use both, 0.8 and 1mm I'm guessing that the whole size stays the same size forever.

Pierced holes shrink but if you are still keeping jewellery in them then they will not disappear all together. 1mm is very tiny and doesn't really look like a hole, more like a small slit in my experience so it's unlikely to shrink further than that.
    "Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
    Grace
    L: Conch|Rook|Lobes x2|Helix Orbital|Helix

​R: Industrial|Lobes x2|Tragus|Conch Orbital

Central Labret​|Right Nipple|HCH x2

2 tattoos & 1 subdermal implant.

Next: 3rd HCH.

Quote Originally Posted by ishy View Post
    Since you say you use both, 0.8 and 1mm I'm guessing that the whole size stays the same size forever.
    You can't compare mine to yours. Mine is fully healed as in years old in the case of my left one. It just copes ok with the slight stretch. I usually wear 1mm neometal labrets but will sometimes wear 0.8mm screws and then go back to the labret with an insertion pin to wiggle it back open a bit.

Yours is a week old, the fistula isn't even healed yet, if you took it out for an hour or so it would probably close up completely without a trace.

I dont understand this huge hole thing, surely you will have jewellery in it? If you want a smaller gauge listen to the advice given, get it swapped out for 18g and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Boo; 05-11-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x6, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

I don't plan to take it out at all for another 2-3 months as I've been told. As with my ears, I hardly ever wear earrings, but they haven't closed up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ishy View Post
    I don't plan to take it out at all for another 2-3 months as I've been told. As with my ears, I hardly ever wear earrings, but they haven't closed up at all.
    Soft tissue and cartilage are different things and behave differently when pierced.

You have 2 options:

1 - follow advice given and get it downsized now by a piercer
    2 - don't follow the advice and do nothing until it's fully healed which can be 3-4 months or more depending on your healing process. Even at that point it should be ok to downsize it without jewellery being too loose.

No matter what you do there will be no huge hole.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast