Thread: Nostril Piercing Challenges

Default Nostril Piercing Challenges

So a little background; I had my lobes pierced as a teenager with the horrible piercing guns and studs... they would never heal. Years and years of me stupidly putting all sorts of earrings in and they just never healed. I stupidly pierced double and triple; I had one have skin literally grow over the stud... it was awful. Fast forward to my 20s and I had a plastic surgeon stitch all six lobe holes shut; they had all migrated and rejected to the point that I had cheese-cutter scars all over my ears. He told me I could only get repierced with a needle and medical grade silicone (bioplast). I stupidly tried the gun thing again and changed them right away to bioplast and they FINALLY healed. Turns out I am allergic to nickel. After they healed, I only wear titanium earrings or high quality gold for just a few hours.

I always wanted a nose piercing, but after the decades of fiasco with my ears, I was scared. Anyway, I got brave and saw a reputable piercer; got pierced with a needle, and a titanium Industrial Strength custom-bent L shaped nose screw. It was seriously tiny, but seemed to be ok for a while. After about 2-3 months, I noticed it was long inside since all the swelling was gone, so we switched it to a labret stud (implant grade titanium, of course). With the change, of course, my nose got a little irritated. Now I struggle with this area above the stud that has a yellowish tint to it. It looks like it would be filled with fluid but it's not. It's really small and can only be seen if I look at it with a magnifying mirror. I only wash it with Saline wound wash and warm water twice a day (before shower in the morning and while washing my face at night). I do put a little emu oil around my nose because even after rinsing saline, my nose gets a little dry. I put saline on gauze and just apply it to that area above the piercing. I always rinse. I seem to have dry, dead skin around it, which I'm told is normal, but I don't know if that creamy/yellowish stuff is a bump or what? It seems like I could wipe it away if I put some pressure behind it but I know better than to try that. It almost looks like a pimple? But I know it's not.

I thought a labret would help since the L stud was probably moving a bit. The labret does have a little extra length inside, because the piercing is only just under 4 months old. Any idea what's going on? It doesn't hurt, not red, etc. Thanks for any input and sorry for the novel.
    Last edited by ShyGal; 04-30-2014 at 03:14 AM.

It's normal, they can be long healers sometimes. I'd stop with soaks and washes and just rinse in the shower and emu oil in the evening. My 1 year old nostril got angry a couple of weeks ago for no reason, emu oil is calming it now that I have some more!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks Hazel. I'm trying so hard to just rinse it and leave it alone, and when I try it, I start building that weird skin again. I can see it and I'm afraid others can too. I'll try REALLY hard to do it again, though.

I have a follow-up question, if you don't mind. Ideally, how snug should the labret sit in my nostril? When my piercer changed it out for me from the L screw, he out in a labret with some extra length because he said the inside of my nose was still healing and he didn't want it rubbing against the irritated tissue. Do labret backing/discs typically sit against the inside wall of the nostril or is there always a little length? Mine doesn't move at all as-is, just curious though.

When healing or flaring up a bit of length is ideal as it may swell a little and you don't want it embedding.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks Hazel. I'm not changing this out anytime soon; I guess as long as it doesn't move back and forth, it's ok then?

Yes it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Yes it will be fine.
    You're so quick! Thank you, Hazel; greatly appreciated.